Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

If god wanted people to be saved from their sins couldnt he have done it by getting rid of sins? He did create them after all and has the ability to get rid of them.
    God didn't create sin ... Adam and Eve did that themselves ... and, as their direct descendants, we are all living with the terrible consequences ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

J C wrote: »
    God didn't create sin ... Adam and Eve did that themselves ... and, as their direct descendants, we are all living with the terrible consequences ever since.

And how do you know this exactly? Voices that none of the rest of us can hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That's one hell of a grudge. Expalin to me how your God is loving again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

And forgiving, Don't forget forgiving :rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

J C, will you at least accept that Ken Ham was anti-science when he said that there is nothing that can change his mind about his beliefs? Will you, as a self-proclaimed scientist, agree that Bill Nye is truer to the ethos of science when he says that what it takes to change his mind is evidence?

• Advertisement

But what if you're wrong J C and the roles are reversed? If I were the greatest evil in the universe I know I'd be trying to convince everyone I'm actually a kind and loving despotic overlord God.
    ... they might try that ... but it would be obvious that they were a great evil ... and their strategy would quickly switch to oppression.

Will pigs fly?

... they might try that ... but it would be obvious that they were a great evil ... and the strategy would quickly switch to oppression.

Yes, and there's no evidence of that in the bibl......oh.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    J C, will you at least accept that Ken Ham was anti-science when he said that there is nothing that can change his mind about his beliefs? Will you, as a self-proclaimed scientist, agree that Bill Nye is truer to the ethos of science when he says that what it takes to change his mind is evidence?
    The physical evidence is there to support the hypothesis that a being of god-like proportions Created the Universe and all life therein ... so Bill Nye isn't doing what he said he would.
    ... sounds like both of them are strongly committed to their beliefs.

The physical evidence is there to support the hypothesis that a being of god-like proportions Created the Universe and all life therein ... so Bill Nye isn't doing what he said he would.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll take that as a "no", which strongly gives the lie to your repeated claim to being a scientist.

Despite Humanities rejection of Him ... He has provided the Way for us to be Saved ... while remaining perfectly just as well as perfectly merciful ... and that Way is Jesus Christ ... who, by His Cross and Resurrection has redeemed the World.

Our Salvation has been bought at a great price ... the incarnation and death of God.

... and all any of us has to do is to accept it and repent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Despite Humanities rejection of Him ... He has provided the Way for us to be Saved ... while remaining perfectly just as well as perfectly merciful ... and that Way is Jesus Christ ... who, by His Cross and Resurrection has redeemed the World.

Saved us from what, and save us from what exactly?

It's basically the line your mother told you when you were younger. Behave or else you'll get it, except I know the wooden spoon she had existed, what is god threatening me with?

Will pigs fly?
    Pigs will never fly (except possible on an intelligently designed aircraft) ... yet another reason why 'Pondkind to Mankind Evolution' never happened.:)

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Saved us from what, and save us from what exactly?

It's basically the line your mother told you when you were younger. Behave or else you'll get it, except I know the wooden spoon she had existed, what is god threatening me with?
    Saved from ourselves and our pride ...
    ... and the analogy is more like what your parents may have told you when you reached 18 ...
    ... you're now an adult ... and you are now fully responsible for your actions ... from which good or evil can flow.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

... and the analogy is more like what your parents may have told you when you reached 18 ...
    ... you're now an adult ... and you are now fully responsible for your actions ... from which good or evil can flow.:)
    Be saved from myself? Yeah I don't think so.

Do the other gods feel the same way, or is it just Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

What did God think would happen when they ate the fruit he told them not to eat? "Hey guy, just do me a favor and dont eat that stuff over there. It does....something.....we're still looking into what it is but I doubt its good."

If god was truly powerful he would be able to remove sin without needing any ritual. That along with the fact he couldn't keep an eye on 2 people makes him look quite incompetent. Im not even going to start on the whole incest thing.

Also responsible for out ancestors. Should the child of a criminal be forced to complete the sentence of their parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Respect is the way to go.:)

Why should I respect someone who is deliberately lying to me (Ken Ham)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'll take that as a "no", which strongly gives the lie to your repeated claim to being a scientist.

Given his posting level on the site, I'd put good money on JC failing his 11+.

Creationist questions answered

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/PbBTk

• Advertisement

Why should I respect someone who is deliberately lying to me (Ken Ham)?

Given his posting level on the site, I'd put good money on JC failing his 11+.
    A spot of name calling and an ad hominem ... you guys really do need to 'lift your game'!!!:)

What did God think would happen when they ate the fruit he told them not to eat? "Hey guy, just do me a favor and dont eat that stuff over there. It does....something.....we're still looking into what it is but I doubt its good."
    God plainly told them they would surely die if the partook of Satan's occult knowledge 'tree' system.
    If god was truly powerful he would be able to remove sin without needing any ritual. That along with the fact he couldn't keep an eye on 2 people makes him look quite incompetent.
    God is both perfectly just and perfectly merciful. His justice demands retribution for sin ... and His mercy demands forgiveness for all who ask.
    God's justice is satisfied throught the suffering and death of Jesus Christ ... and His mercy is therefore freely available to all who repent and ask for it.
    Im not even going to start on the whole incest thing.
    Darwin is dead ... so there is no need to keep dragging up his marriage to his first cousin. I'll say nothing about it if you don't!!!;)
    Also responsible for out ancestors. Should the child of a criminal be forced to complete the sentence of their parents?
    If the parents were to do something horrenduous and on a Global Scale, like Adam and Eve did ... the children would be forced to live with the after-effects of their parents actions.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

@JC: considering you openly support Mr. Ham who has admitted no evidence will convince him the bible account of creation is wrong, it's quit amusing to see you suggest other posters raise their game. Pot, kettle and all that.

If you can read this, you're too close!

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Be saved from myself? Yeah I don't think so.

Do the other gods feel the same way, or is it just Jesus?
    We are often our own worst enemy!!

... there is only One God who will Save you.

SW wrote: »
    @JC: considering you openly support Mr. Ham who has admitted no evidence will convince him the bible account of creation is wrong, it's quit amusing to see you suggest other posters raise their game. Pot, kettle and all that.
    I have also found that no amount of evidence has convinced many materialists that God exists ... so I guess dogmatism is to be found on both sides of the origins argument.

As for me ... I could be convinced that the Biblical account of Creation is wrong ... indeed I once believed that it was wrong.

... it took me ten years of denial to eventually accept that materialistic evolution was fundamentally flawed and scientifically invalid.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I have found that no amount of evidence has convinced many materialists that God exists ... so I guess dogmatism is to be found on both sides of the origins argument.
    May I ask when you received your nobel prize for confirming the existence of God?
    As for me ... I could be convinced that the Biblical account of Creation is wrong ... indeed I once believed that it was wrong.

... it took me ten years of denial to eventually accept that materialistic evolution was fundamentally flawed and scientifically invalid.

So you could be convinced that the bible is wrong. This after you rejected all current understanding and evidence for evolution? You realise that makes no sense at all. How could you be convinced when you reject evidence in favour of the bible? It doesn't sound like you'd be open to reconsidering your support for creationism at all.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Darwin is dead ... so there is no need to keep dragging up his marriage to his first cousin. I'll say nothing about it if you don't!!!;)

Jesus Christ is dead. That doesn't stop you going on about him ad nauseam.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Jesus Christ is dead. That doesn't stop you going on about him ad nauseam.
    Jesus Christ rose from the dead ... has ascended into Heaven ... and will one day return to judge the living and the dead.

... and I have no problem discussing Darwin 'keeping it in the family' by marrying his first cousin.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jesus Christ ... will one day return to judge the living and the dead.

They've been saying that for 2000 years now. He ain't coming back.

• Advertisement

God plainly told them they would surely die if the partook of Satan's occult knowledge 'tree' system.

God is both perfectly just and perfectly merciful. His justice demands retribution for sin ... and His mercy demands forgiveness for all who ask.
    God's justice is satisfied throught the suffering and death of Jesus Christ ... and His mercy is therefore freely available to all who repent and ask for it.

If the parents were to do something horrenduous and on a Global Scale, like Adam and Eve did ... the children would be forced to live with the after-effects of their parents actions.

This is how North Korea treats people, maybe Kim Jung Il is your god. You should go there and let us know how you get on.

Advertisement