Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

SW wrote: »
    The bible is true because the bible says so. :rolleyes:
    ... and many aspects of it's truth is verifiable and in line with observable evidence.;)

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »
    ... and many aspects of it's truth is verifiable and in line with observable evidence.;)
    feel free to give examples.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's true because the Bible says so

It's astonishing that anyone would claim this in 2014.

I wonder who observed that Mary was a virgin? ;)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I wonder who observed that Mary was a virgin? ;)
    God Himself did ... and you can't get anything more definitive, when it comes to (male of female) virginity (or anthing else) than that.

• Advertisement

It's astonishing that anyone would claim this in 2014.
    Why?

From my perspective is a lot less astonishing than somebody believing in Spontaneous Evolution ... but there you go ... different strokes for different folks ... I guess!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's certainly not OK to do so.
    The fact that the Mosaic Laws were excessive ... just like King David's murderous adultery, for example, (which is also recorded in the Bible) doesn't invalidate the truth of the Bible.

Indeed the recording of the very Human, 'warts and all' accounts of the behaviour of the Isrealites shows that the Bible isn't a 'sanitised' version of events ... and it is therefore the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Human sin and hypocracy is there in the Bible for everyone to see ... and with no attempt made to hide the ugly truth of what sinful Humans can get up to.

but you said
    It's true because the Bible says so ... and the production of artificial DNA is certainly in line with the idea that we are capable of Intelligent Design, just like God.

So if it's in the bible then it's true but then you say only bits of the bible is true......seriously hypocritical to pick and choose the parts that "validate" your argument but then choose to ignore the parts of the bible that negate your arguments.

Why?

From my perspective is a lot less astonishing than somebody believing in Spontaneous Evolution ... but there you go ... different strokes for different folks ... I guess!!!:)
    that's an oxymoron.

Why?

Because if you bothered to read the bible properly, you'd realise it is full of contradictions, lies and deceits.

But carry on!!!! Whatever keeps you happy!!!!

Have you watched Cosmos?

God, who made Neil deGrasse Tyson, is responsible for it. So it's the Truth!!!!!

that's an oxymoron.
    I know ... but it happens to be one of the most deeply held beliefs in current society.
    I can see why and how they believe in spontaneous evolution ... and indeed I once deeply held the belief myself ... so far be it from me to criticise anybody for holding a belief I once held myself.

• Advertisement

I know ... but it happens to be one of the most deeply held beliefs in current society.
    I can see why and how they believe in spontaneous evolution ... and indeed I once deeply held the belief myself ... so far be it from me to criticise anybody for holding a belief I once held myself.
    It's a term you made up so I fail to see how anyone believes in it. It also highlights your lack of understanding regarding evolution.

And feel free to give examples supporting creationism, as you have stated there is plenty of it.

Because if you bothered to read the bible properly, you'd realise it is full of contradictions, lies and deceits.

But carry on!!!! Whatever keeps you happy!!!!

Have you watched Cosmos?

God, who made Neil deGrasse Tyson, is responsible for it. So it's the Truth!!!!!
    You're right that the fact that life was intelligently designed doesn't exclusivley validate my belief that it was the Triune God who did it ... it could be any very great intelligence ... it could be Neil deGrasse Tyson, like you say ... or some kind of aliens like some people say, is also a distinct possiblity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

You're right that the fact that life was intelligently designed doesn't exclusivley validate my belief that it was the Triune God who did it ... it could be any very great intelligence ... it could be Neil deGrasse Tyson, like you say ... or some kind of aliens like some people say, is also a distinct possiblity.
    So you believe in aliens sooner than you believe in evolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    And just like the bible.

Woah, hang on, that wasn't intelligent design. Never mind

Don't you just love that JC is actually stupid enough to thank you despite the fact that you're destroying the single argument he uses every time, and will use every time in the future too.

It's a term you made up so I fail to see how anyone believes in it. It also highlights your lack of understanding regarding evolution.

And feel free to give examples supporting creationism, as you have stated there is plenty of it.
    If evolution (from Pondkind to Mankind) happened ... then it was either spontaneously or intelligently generated.

The Modern Evolutionary Synthesis attempts to explain the origins and evolution of life via spontaneous i.e. natural processes (as distinct from intelligently directed processes) ...
    Spontaneous Evolution therefore accurately describes what the Modern Synthesis says in relation to Evolution.

If evolution (from Pondkind to Mankind) happened ... then it was either spontaneously or intelligently generated.

The modern Evolutionary synthesis attempts to explain the origins and evolution of life via spontaneous i.e. natural processes (as distinct from intelligently directed processes) ...
    Spontaneous Evolution therefore accurately describes what the Modern Synthesis says in relation to Evolution.
    evolution -> slow gradual change over time.

Your understanding of evolution -> spontaneous slow gradual change over time. It's clearly an oxymoron. If you're going to argue against something, at least address what it is.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So you believe in aliens sooner than you believe in evolution?
    You're right about that.

I know that Aliens exist as I've seen them ... and I know that Spontaneous Evolution is an impossibility.

BTW I also know that Natural Selection of pre-existing genetic diversity is a scientifically validated fact.

evolution -> slow gradual change over time.

Your understanding of evolution -> spontaneous slow gradual change over time. It's clearly an oxymoron. If you're going to argue against something, at least address what it is.
    Evolution (using NS of pre-exiting genetic diversity) can be quite rapid.

Evolution exists ... it's just that it's not capable of generating the novel complex functional specified genetic information required to transition from pondkind to Mankind.

Don't you just love that JC is actually stupid enough to thank you despite the fact that you're destroying the single argument he uses every time, and will use every time in the future too.
    I was being polite ... its good to talk ... and to thank people ... even those with whom you disagree.

... and come on Brian ... whatever else I may be ... 'stupid' isn't one of them.

Lets spread the love!!!:)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I know that Aliens exist as I've seen them ...

Suddenly, your posts take on a whole new character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Suddenly, your posts take on a whole new character.

He has posted about his experience before.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    He has posted about his experience before.

MrP

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bumper234 wrote: »
    Link?

Hmmm, would need to look and that poses two problems. First, I am on my phone and second, it is entirely too early in the day to have you wade through the utter crap that is JC's post history.

I will try to dig it out for you later, if some other kind soul does not beat me to it.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Hmmm, would need to look and that poses two problems. First, I am on my phone and second, it is entirely too early in the day to have you wade through the utter crap that is JC's post history.

I will try to dig it out for you later, if some other kind soul does not beat me to it.

MrP

The exact reason i asked for a link, so i wouldn't have to do it myself :D

wrote:
    Originally Posted by MrPudding View Post
    'Sour grapes' Mr P!!!:)
    wrote:
    bumper
    The exact reason i asked for a link, so i wouldn't have to do it myself :D
    You looked for a link to my wise writings from Mr P ... and now you are saying the equivalent of "its for my mother-in-law and not for me, don't you know"!!!:D
    ... and why is the reality that 'they exist' such a surprise to you?

Evolution exists ... it's just that it's not capable of generating the novel complex functional specified genetic information required to transition from pondkind to Mankind.

Feel free to provide evidence of your claims (and collect your Nobel prize).

Feel free to provide evidence of your claims (and collect your Nobel prize).

He could also post his links to evidence of alien life (i do believe we are not alone in the universe i just have no evidence of this) and be the most famous man in the world, morso than his namesake.

bumper234 wrote: »
    ...morso than his namesake.

Jeremy Clarkson? :pac::D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] JC is actually stupid enough [...]
    Jernal/Turtwig carded you for that nasty and completely unnecessary comment. As it's your fourth A+A card since February, your next charter-violating post will result in a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Why do you believe that evolution is possible but the idea of something being able to absorb oxygen from the air as opposed to the water is impossible?

Advertisement