Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

J C wrote: »
    Equally, your fear of probing my posting on the basis for ID, reminds me of the fear that Aliens have of probing me.:)

The aliens probably fcuked off back to their own planet if they had to deal with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

housetypeb wrote: »
    The aliens probably fcuked off back to their own planet if they had to deal with you.
    ... and that's where they should stay.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I gave an example of late motherhood being problematical ... and you gave examples of late fatherhood being problematical ... where was I wrong in what I said.
    It's not as if one disproves the other.

Come on oldrnwisr ... you can surely do better than that ... if you're going to accuse me of being wrong.

... although, come to think of it, I've never been proven wrong on any substantial issue ... yet!!!:)

Did you not say "It's an accepted biological fact that late motherhood is higher risk for both the mother and the child ... while late fatherhood carries none of these risks" and he gave you some examples of where late fatherhood carries risks to the child?
    you look kinda wrong from here...

Did you not say "It's an accepted biological fact that late motherhood is higher risk for both the mother and the child ... while late fatherhood carries none of these risks" and he gave you some examples of where late fatherhood carries risks to the child?
    you look kinda wrong from here...
    Right about the higher risk of late motherhood for both the woman and child ... and right that late fatherhood carries none of these risks ... for the father.:)

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Right about the higher risk of late motherhood for both the woman and child ... and right that late fatherhood carries none of these risks ... for the father.:)

are you suggesting that a) oldrnwsr is wrong with what he posted or b) that people somehow thought that men could become pregnant?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What you said was:
    It's an accepted biological fact that late motherhood is higher risk for both the mother and the child ... while late fatherhood carries none of these risks.

This is the point addressed by oldrnwisr, that late fatherhood does indeed carry risk for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I had important business to attend to.

... now I'm here to talk to oldrnwisr ... and the best he has come up with is a post by me that complemented a post of his ... and one where I used Creation Science terms and somebody else used the Evolutionist equivalents.:eek:

And those dodged claims are still hiding in the depths of this thread I'm sure. Nothing stopping you from responding to them.

SW wrote: »
    are you suggesting that a) oldrnwsr is wrong with what he posted or b) that people somehow thought that men could become pregnant?
    No and No.
    You guys don't do irony ... :)

And those dodged claims are still hiding in the depths of this thread I'm sure. Nothing stopping you from responding to them.
    Speaking of dodged claims ...
    ... can anybody please tell me where this is wrong?
    Quote:-
    "(Dr.) Dembski's original value for the universal probability bound is 1 in 10^150, derived as the inverse of the product of the following approximate quantities:

10^80, the number of elementary particles in the observable universe.
    10^45, the maximum rate per second at which transitions in physical states can occur (i.e., the inverse of the Planck time).
    10^25, a billion times longer than the typical estimated age of the universe in seconds.
    Thus, 10^150 = 10^80 × 10^45 × 10^25. Hence, this value corresponds to an upper limit on the number of physical events that could possibly have occurred since the big bang."

These numbers place an upper limit of about 10^150 possible total reactions involving the entire matter and using all of the time in the Big Bang universe (which is termed the universal probability bound).
    This is then compared with the combinatorial space of simple proteins and other biochemical molecules ... each of which are often in excess of the universal probability bound.
    For example, there are 20 common amino acids that can be placed at each point in a protein chain. A protein chain of just 116 amino acids has a combinatorial space of 20^115 or 10^150 which is equivalent to the Universal Probability Bound (UPB).
    ... so the odds against the non-intelligently directed production of a specific functional protein is greater than the UPB.

The implications of this is that if you had all of the matter in the Universe generating random sequences for the billions of years that the Big Ban Universe supposedly exists, you couldn't reasonably expect even one specific functional protein to be produced.
    ... and we need many hundreds of specific proteins and other specific biomolecules working in highly integrated systems in even 'simple' uni-cellular life, to say nothing about the multi-celled stuff.

"(Dr.) Dembski's original value for the universal probability bound is 1 in 10^150, derived as the inverse of the product of the following approximate quantities:

10^45, the maximum rate per second at which transitions in physical states can occur (i.e., the inverse of the Planck time).
    10^25, a billion times longer than the typical estimated age of the universe in seconds.
    Thus, 10^150 = 10^80 × 10^45 × 10^25. Hence, this value corresponds to an upper limit on the number of physical events that could possibly have occurred since the big bang."

These numbers place an upper limit of about 10^150 possible total reactions involving the entire matter and using all of the time in the Big Bang universe (which is termed the universal probability bound).
    This is then compared with the combinatorial space of simple proteins and other biochemical molecules ... each of which are often in excess of the universal probability bound.
    For example, there are 20 common amino acids that can be placed at each point in a protein chain. A protein chain of just 116 amino acids has a combinatorial space of 20^115 or 10^150 which is equivalent to the Universal Probability Bound (UPB).
    ... so the odds against the non-intelligently directed production of a specific functional protein is greater than the UPB.

The implications of this is that if you had all of the matter in the Universe generating random sequences for the billions of years that the Big Ban Universe supposedly exists, you couldn't reasonably expect even one specific functional protein to be produced.
    ... and we need many hundreds of specific proteins and other specific biomolecules working in highly integrated systems in even 'simple' uni-cellular life, to say nothing about the multi-celled stuff.

1) They have already been answered several times on the AH trainwreck.

2) The posts you've been dodging are far older, you might want to answer those first.

• Advertisement

1) They have already been answered several times on the AH trainwreck.
    They haven't actually.
    2) The posts you've been dodging are far older, you might want to answer those first.
    What ones are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Why would God have made an evil tree in the garden of Eden if he didn't want anyone to eat from it? if he gave humans free will and was omnipotent then he knew they'd eat from it since he knows everything. He basically rendered mankind as sinners before we were even given a chance. I had a relative who was the most devoted Christian you'd ever meet and she didn't even believe in Adam and Eve. That whole "evidence" thing cropping up again.

One correction, omnipotence is all powerful, not all knowing. That's omniscience. And the two properties are incompatible in the same being, as knowing the future constrains your power to act, because you have to follow the deterministic path laid out by your knowledge of the future.

They haven't actually.

Just because you refuse to acknowledge them doesn't mean they didn't happen.
    What ones are they?

Really? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

... although, come to think of it, I've never been proven wrong on any substantial issue ... yet!!!:)

Not accepting an answer to something isn't "never being proven wrong", it's just ignoring the people who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Again with this nonsense?

The maths are wrong, it's not 10^150 its 10^ 370.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No and No.
    You guys don't do irony ... :)

You do plenty for us all being a scientist that uses Christianity/theology to argue against scientific evidence ;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

This is just classic bad probability math. What his math is modeling is a single dice throw of 115 dice with 20 sides each... but even your strawman model of a primordial soup is not represented by that model.

The floor of my toilet i smade of stone tiles that have random patterns on them. One of them looks a little bit like a witch on a broomstick. The chances of that particular pattern happening, according to the math you propose, is infinitely smaller than any amino acid chain. It is also more limited in function: there is a higer ratio of functional combinations of amino acids than there are possible patterns that look like a little witch om a broomstick flying off to the top right corner of the tile, considering the resolution of the human eye and the average distance from which it is observed.

According to your friend, this is evidence of design!

All well and good, and I wouldn't be one of the 'keep it to yourself' crowd either, but there are limits.

Most people are part of the "keep it to yourself" crowd, I find. Because most people are sensible enough to realise that the alternative to keeping things like religion on a personal level is the intolerance and ram it down other people's throats kinds of thinking.

The fact of the matter is, that for society to work sensibly a person's religion or lack thereof must by necessity be kept a private thing. Now I don't mean that people should only worship in darkened cellars away from prying eyes (unless they like doing it that way), but that nobody should be subjected to the kind of rubbish that JC spouts with regularity here, the kind of vile hate that the likes of the Westboro baptist church or the fundy Sunnis spout, or even (often quite nice and polite and friendly) people coming around to your door telling you that if you don't accept their peculiar brand of Jesus (all brands of Jesus are peculiar) you're going to hell, nor even the indoctrination that regularly goes on in our schools (and, yes, is even mandated by department rules).

Every person should be free to choose for themselves whether or not to believe in any religion, yet that right is anathaema to all religions, because they've long realised that if you don't get them early enough to force them into your way of thinking you'll never have a chance to get them. And for me that is why being part of the "keep it to yourself" crowd is the only sensible choice.

Most people are part of the "keep it to yourself" crowd, I find. Because most people are sensible enough to realise that the alternative to keeping things like religion on a personal level is the intolerance and ram it down other people's throats kinds of thinking.

The fact of the matter is, that for society to work sensibly a person's religion or lack thereof must by necessity be kept a private thing. Now I don't mean that people should only worship in darkened cellars away from prying eyes (unless they like doing it that way), but that nobody should be subjected to the kind of rubbish that JC spouts with regularity here, the kind of vile hate that the likes of the Westboro baptist church or the fundy Sunnis spout, or even (often quite nice and polite and friendly) people coming around to your door telling you that if you don't accept their peculiar brand of Jesus (all brands of Jesus are peculiar) you're going to hell, nor even the indoctrination that regularly goes on in our schools (and, yes, is even mandated by department rules).

Every person should be free to choose for themselves whether or not to believe in any religion, yet that right is anathaema to all religions, because they've long realised that if you don't get them early enough to force them into your way of thinking you'll never have a chance to get them. And for me that is why being part of the "keep it to yourself" crowd is the only sensible choice.

I suppose I haven't quite lost enough hope in people (yet) to accept what you say is true, but sadly I see your point. When I say I wouldn't be on the 'keep it to yourself' side though, I don't mean that I find spreading fear and hatred is remotely acceptable. Rather, I just don't think people should be forced underground for practicing a religion, provided they don't try to force it on other people. The latter seems to be difficult for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Edit: Before J C tries to claim it, no, scientists are not forcing their world view on anyone. You're quite entitled to continue sticking your head in the sand and ignoring evidence if you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] omnipotence [...] omniscience [...] the two properties are incompatible in the same being, as knowing the future constrains your power to act, because you have to follow the deterministic path laid out by your knowledge of the future.
    Never thought of that particular paradox before - clever!

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Never thought of that particular paradox before - clever!

Christian apologists tend to try and hand-wave it away, either by explaining that "omnipotence" doesn't mean all-powerful but most powerful, or the same with "omniscience" with respect to knowledge. But they destroy their own hand-waves (frequently shortly after) by then reverting to the more accepted meanings for both words. As with most of their justifications for trying to get others to accept their beliefs (which is stress, again, only happens when you don't have evidence), this one depends on taking a very special meaning of a word, which only holds for as long as it takes them to put in their reason why the special meaning should be held for this specific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Of course, we can show where this is wrong. The problem is that you keep posting as if we haven't already done so.

Dembski's concept of a UPB (Universal Probability Bound) and how the UPB is a problem for natural selection is fundamentally flawed in many ways. So let's have a look at them.

The first problem is that Dembski's basis for the UPB is flawed.

The first factor he uses in its calculation is the number of elementary particles in the observable universe which he claims is 1x10^80. However, regardless of his definition of an elementary particle, his figure is doubly wrong. Firstly, if we were to take hydrogen atoms to be the elementary particles and assume, for the moment, that he is right about the observable universe then he is off by a factor of 10.
    You see, the critical density of the universe is 0.85×10−26 kg/m3 which equates to roughly 5 hydrogen atoms per m3. Since the universe has been expanding for 13.7 million years, the radius of the observable universe is 46.6 billion light years. Therefore, the volume of the observable universe (4/3 π r3) is 3.58×1080 m3. Consequently, if hydrogen atoms were the elementary particles then there would be 1.8×1081 of them.
    However, Dembski's real mistake here is the use of the observable universe. It should be apparent, even to you JC, that the universe is larger than what we can directly observe. No cosmological model that has relied only on the observable universe has been able to reliably explain what we have observed in astronomical and cosmological experiments. We know from mathematical modelling that the actual universe is at least 250 times greater in size than what we can directly observe:

Applications of Bayesian model averaging to the curvature and size of the Universe

So the first factor is useless.

Then, you have the age factor. While there is no real problem with the logic of this factor it is interesting to note that his figure is off by a factor of almost 50.

Having said all that, the funny thing is that the figure which Dembski ends up with is probably OK. When you do the real math:

Computational capacity of the universe

you find that 10^150 is probably a reasonable estimate. Its just interesting that Dembski gets there by pure dumb luck and not any actual science.

Now, to the real mistake made by the Dembski, the relevance of a Universal Probability Bound to evolution at all. Before we get into details here two things should be highlighted.
    1. The formation of proteins and other organic compounds is not determined by or affected by chance and so probability has no relevance to any discussion on protein formation.
    2. The formation of proteins in the early universe and their statistical probability is not relevant to a discussion on evolution. This is a matter for abiogenesis which is a wholly separate theory.

OK, on with the details.

1. Sequential macromolecular assembly

Let's assume for a second that creationists are right and that proteins were formed by chance. This still doesn't stop Dembski being wrong. One of the biggest mistakes he makes is in assuming the construction of a protein by the sequential addition of an amino acid.
    For comparison let's look at tossing a coin. If you want to generate the following sequence HHHH (H being heads, T being tails) using four coins and you could toss all four coins in 1 minute then you could reasonably expect to generate the sequence above in 8 minutes. However, what if you get sixteen friends to help you, each simultaneously flipping a coin. Now you could generate the above sequence in just 1 minute.
    The probability of forming a protein sequence is not just affected by its length but also by the number of trial opportunities. This is where the size of Earth comes into play.
    It has been reasonably established that the size of the primordial ocean was in the region of 10^24 litres. Furthermore, if we take a rough average of the number of molecules per unit mass of amino acids (3x10^24 /kg) and a primordial soup amino acid concentration of 1 x 10-6 M, then we should expect no less than about 1 x 1050 potential starting chains. This means that the number of efficient ligases that could be produced even in just 1 year is greater than 10^30. So Dembski's UPB is immediately blown out of the water.
    Unlike Dembski's ramblings, these figures are supported not just mathematically but also by experimental results:

A synthetic peptide ligase.

Synthesis of long prebiotic oligomers on mineral surfaces

2. On the search space

One of the other major problems in Dembski's idea of a UPB is the difference between the raw probability of the sequence and the match of the sequence to a given specification. Allow me to explain using one of Dembski's favourite examples, the Caputo case. This centres on a vote rigging allegation against Nicholas Caputo whose job it was to draw ballots to decide who got top billing on election papers. When 40 of the 41 draws turned out in favour of the Democrats, Caputo was tried and was judged to have rigged the ballot with the judge concluding: "confronted with these odds, few persons of reason will accept the explanation of blind chance." However, the Caputo case raises some interesting problems with Dembski's arguments. To see how let's go back to coin tosses. Take the following sequence:

HTHHHTTHTHTHHHHTHHTTTHTTHHHTHTHTHHTTTTHHH

This sequence looks like a fair drawing. When we calculate the probability of the sequence we get (1/2)^41 or 4.5x10^-13 or 1 in 2x10^12. Now let's look at a rigged sequence:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

When we calculate the probability of a rigged sequence we get 4.5x10^-13. The exact same. So it is not the probability of the sequence itself which is relevant but only that which matches the specification. So in testing protein sequences it is not the base probability of creating a 100 unit protein at random that matters but rather how many of these sequences result in useful proteins.
    As it turns out quite a lot actually. If we take a 100 unit protein sequence then the sample space is 10^130. However, when we match all the possible sequences against useful proteins we find that 3.8x10^61 alone result in cytochrome C. Therefore even using random assembly we end up with a probability of creating a useful protein of just 1 in 10^69, well within Dembski's bullsh1t UPB.

3. On abiogenesis and creationist chemistry

Another big problem Dembski has is that he's a mathematician and not a biochemist. This leads him to making a huge false assumption in the first place, namely that the early development of organic life involved the synthesis of proteins which we find today. To show graphically what I mean here's the difference between how Dembski thinks life evolved and how the research says it did.

views.gif

The research that has been conducted in this area has shown the possibility and likelihood that the primordial soup was replete with small chain (~30 mer) peptides which could self-replicate. Again this blows Dembski's UPB out of the water, given that a 32-mer chain even by random assembly has a probability of just 10^40.

The volume of research is so large in fact that it would probably blow your tiny little mind JC. This is a sample of some of the more important papers on the subject.

A self-replicating peptide

Oligonucleotide-directed peptide synthesis in a ribosome- and ribozyme-free system

A multisubunit ribozyme that is a catalyst of and template for complementary strand RNA synthesis

Emergence of symbiosis in peptide self-replication through a hypercyclic network

All in all, we can see that the UPB like the rest of Dembski's work is so profoundly flawed in so many ways that it is a wonder creationists still bother with it. It just goes to show what a joke creationism really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

^^ post bookmarked for next time JC says Dembski's nonsense has not been refuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

^^ post bookmarked for next time JC says Dembski's nonsense has not been refuted.

I still think Oldrnwisr's posts should be stickied and any creationist moron who comes here should first be pointed to what he says.

I don't know why he bothers with such detail though. It's not like our resident COLOR="Red"]offensive term deleted[/COLOR will even try and answer with anything other than stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Of course, we can show where this is wrong. The problem is that you keep posting as if we haven't already done so.

Dembski's concept of a UPB (Universal Probability Bound) and how the UPB is a problem for natural selection is fundamentally flawed in many ways. So let's have a look at them.

The first problem is that Dembski's basis for the UPB is flawed.

The first factor he uses in its calculation is the number of elementary particles in the observable universe which he claims is 1x10^80. However, regardless of his definition of an elementary particle, his figure is doubly wrong. Firstly, if we were to take hydrogen atoms to be the elementary particles and assume, for the moment, that he is right about the observable universe then he is off by a factor of 10.
    You see, the critical density of the universe is 0.85×10−26 kg/m3 which equates to roughly 5 hydrogen atoms per m3. Since the universe has been expanding for 13.7 million years, the radius of the observable universe is 46.6 billion light years. Therefore, the volume of the observable universe (4/3 π r3) is 3.58×1080 m3. Consequently, if hydrogen atoms were the elementary particles then there would be 1.8×1081 of them.
    However, Dembski's real mistake here is the use of the observable universe. It should be apparent, even to you JC, that the universe is larger than what we can directly observe. No cosmological model that has relied only on the observable universe has been able to reliably explain what we have observed in astronomical and cosmological experiments. We know from mathematical modelling that the actual universe is at least 250 times greater in size than what we can directly observe:

Applications of Bayesian model averaging to the curvature and size of the Universe

So the first factor is useless.

Then, you have the age factor. While there is no real problem with the logic of this factor it is interesting to note that his figure is off by a factor of almost 50.

Having said all that, the funny thing is that the figure which Dembski ends up with is probably OK. When you do the real math:

Computational capacity of the universe

you find that 10^150 is probably a reasonable estimate. Its just interesting that Dembski gets there by pure dumb luck and not any actual science.

Now, to the real mistake made by the Dembski, the relevance of a Universal Probability Bound to evolution at all. Before we get into details here two things should be highlighted.
    1. The formation of proteins and other organic compounds is not determined by or affected by chance and so probability has no relevance to any discussion on protein formation.
    2. The formation of proteins in the early universe and their statistical probability is not relevant to a discussion on evolution. This is a matter for abiogenesis which is a wholly separate theory.

OK, on with the details.

1. Sequential macromolecular assembly

Let's assume for a second that creationists are right and that proteins were formed by chance. This still doesn't stop Dembski being wrong. One of the biggest mistakes he makes is in assuming the construction of a protein by the sequential addition of an amino acid.
    For comparison let's look at tossing a coin. If you want to generate the following sequence HHHH (H being heads, T being tails) using four coins and you could toss all four coins in 1 minute then you could reasonably expect to generate the sequence above in 8 minutes. However, what if you get sixteen friends to help you, each simultaneously flipping a coin. Now you could generate the above sequence in just 1 minute.
    The probability of forming a protein sequence is not just affected by its length but also by the number of trial opportunities. This is where the size of Earth comes into play.
    It has been reasonably established that the size of the primordial ocean was in the region of 10^24 litres. Furthermore, if we take a rough average of the number of molecules per unit mass of amino acids (3x10^24 /kg) and a primordial soup amino acid concentration of 1 x 10-6 M, then we should expect no less than about 1 x 1050 potential starting chains. This means that the number of efficient ligases that could be produced even in just 1 year is greater than 10^30. So Dembski's UPB is immediately blown out of the water.
    Unlike Dembski's ramblings, these figures are supported not just mathematically but also by experimental results:

A synthetic peptide ligase.

Synthesis of long prebiotic oligomers on mineral surfaces

2. On the search space

One of the other major problems in Dembski's idea of a UPB is the difference between the raw probability of the sequence and the match of the sequence to a given specification. Allow me to explain using one of Dembski's favourite examples, the Caputo case. This centres on a vote rigging allegation against Nicholas Caputo whose job it was to draw ballots to decide who got top billing on election papers. When 40 of the 41 draws turned out in favour of the Democrats, Caputo was tried and was judged to have rigged the ballot with the judge concluding: "confronted with these odds, few persons of reason will accept the explanation of blind chance." However, the Caputo case raises some interesting problems with Dembski's arguments. To see how let's go back to coin tosses. Take the following sequence:

HTHHHTTHTHTHHHHTHHTTTHTTHHHTHTHTHHTTTTHHH

This sequence looks like a fair drawing. When we calculate the probability of the sequence we get (1/2)^41 or 4.5x10^-13 or 1 in 2x10^12. Now let's look at a rigged sequence:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

When we calculate the probability of a rigged sequence we get 4.5x10^-13. The exact same. So it is not the probability of the sequence itself which is relevant but only that which matches the specification. So in testing protein sequences it is not the base probability of creating a 100 unit protein at random that matters but rather how many of these sequences result in useful proteins.
    As it turns out quite a lot actually. If we take a 100 unit protein sequence then the sample space is 10^130. However, when we match all the possible sequences against useful proteins we find that 3.8x10^61 alone result in cytochrome C. Therefore even using random assembly we end up with a probability of creating a useful protein of just 1 in 10^69, well within Dembski's bullsh1t UPB.

3. On abiogenesis and creationist chemistry

Another big problem Dembski has is that he's a mathematician and not a biochemist. This leads him to making a huge false assumption in the first place, namely that the early development of organic life involved the synthesis of proteins which we find today. To show graphically what I mean here's the difference between how Dembski thinks life evolved and how the research says it did.

views.gif

The research that has been conducted in this area has shown the possibility and likelihood that the primordial soup was replete with small chain (~30 mer) peptides which could self-replicate. Again this blows Dembski's UPB out of the water, given that a 32-mer chain even by random assembly has a probability of just 10^40.

The volume of research is so large in fact that it would probably blow your tiny little mind JC. This is a sample of some of the more important papers on the subject.

A self-replicating peptide

Oligonucleotide-directed peptide synthesis in a ribosome- and ribozyme-free system

A multisubunit ribozyme that is a catalyst of and template for complementary strand RNA synthesis

Emergence of symbiosis in peptide self-replication through a hypercyclic network

All in all, we can see that the UPB like the rest of Dembski's work is so profoundly flawed in so many ways that it is a wonder creationists still bother with it. It just goes to show what a joke creationism really is.

Oh god I missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

legspin wrote: »
    I still think Oldrnwisr's posts should be stickied and any creationist moron who comes here should first be pointed to what he says.

I don't know why he bothers with such detail though. It's not like our resident COLOR="Red"]offensive term deleted[/COLOR will even try and answer with anything other than stupid.
    I guess he bothers because not everyone is a dumb, wilfully ignorant creatard, and people that have not fully formed an opinion or been duped by creationism can still be influenced.

Regardless of why he does it, I hope be continues to do it, as I find his posts massively educational and enjoyable. Keep up the good work.

MrP

I don't know why he bothers with such detail though. It's not like our resident [offensive term deleted] will even try and answer with anything other than stupid.

Not at all! JC is a scientist, and as such he will simply follow the evidence. There is nothing more exciting in science than be proven to have been completely wrong: there is no time when you learn more, and learn faster.

Soon he will demonstrate the robust and gentlemanly moral fibre we can expect of a man of science and religion and either demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that Oldernwiser is wrong, or else he will simply concede the point and admit that his hypothesis seems to have been wrong all along.

Vivisectus wrote: »
    Not at all! JC is a scientist, and as such he will simply follow the evidence. There is nothing more exciting in science than be proven to have been completely wrong: there is no time when you learn more, and learn faster.

Soon he will demonstrate the robust and gentlemanly moral fibre we can expect of a man of science and religion and either demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that Oldernwiser is wrong, or else he will simply concede the point and admit that his hypothesis seems to have been wrong all along.

Rofl

legspin wrote: »
    Rofl

Ye of little faith! Surely a man of his erudition, with the additional support of the superior morality that religion imbues in a man will not stoop to goalpost-moving, hand-waving, ignoring evidence, special pleading or strawmanning?

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    I guess he bothers because not everyone is a dumb, wilfully ignorant creatard, and people that have not fully formed an opinion or been duped by creationism can still be influenced.

Regardless of why he does it, I hope be continues to do it, as I find his posts massively educational and enjoyable. Keep up the good work.

MrP
    I agree if the person doing the questioning is genuine about learning but unfortunately someone keeps proving that a dumb, wilfully ignorant creatard is exactly what he is.

Advertisement