Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »

I said the opposite, in fact.

I said that Prof Dawkins isn't one of those who equates ID with Creationism - and I also made it clear that Prof Dawkins was talking about an Alien-type authorship for ID as distinct from a Divine authorship.

I'd be more likely to accept your explanation if every post of yours wasn't signed with a Dawkins quote that shows otherwise.

If you can read this, you're too close!

You are correct, all science has proven is that it had an intelligent authorship.
    All myself and Prof Dawkins have done was to speculate on who/what the author might be.

Wrong again. Unless you can link to a news article confirming mankind was created by aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

SW wrote: »
    Wrong again. Unless you can link to a news article confirming mankind was created by aliens.
    Neither myself nor Prof Dawkins claims that we were created by Aliens.
    ... its just one possible hypothesis ... and I believe in the God hypothesis myself.

I'd be more likely to accept your explanation if every post of yours wasn't signed with a Dawkins quote that shows otherwise.
    How does the quotes in my sig show otherwise.

I quote Prof Dawkins because I admire the man ... I don't believe in his Atheism ... but then again, he doesn't believe in my Creationism.
    ... but none of this prevents us from having 'a mutual admiration society' ... or just me admiring him ... even if he decides to not return the compliment.:)

One very positive thing Prof Dawkins has done is to strip away a lot of 'cobwebs and fuzzy thinking' within churches about the Christian Faith ... and his challenging questions are something I welcome. If he didn't ask them ... somebody else probably would anyway.

He is also a gentleman to his finger-tips ... and he engages in debate in a forthright and civil manner that makes it a pleasure to watch him in action ...
    ... even when I disagree with what he has to say ... I admire how he says it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Fear123

My mate got really high once and had a full blown conversation with someone who wasn't there.
    My grandmother wasnot an alchol drinker, she lived in a house that was built on a grave yard. Many people around her have seen such things. For example, Once they bought a flowers, the flower didnt grow in that house and they had a dog with them that started barking in night. It is said animal like goat/dogs they can smell the presence of supernatural before them. There are explainable things and event in this world. Even science can't explain. My uncle living in that house, he became mad. They went to every doctor but didnt get cure.

All worlds are mortal but they connected with somekind of supernatural phenomena

• Advertisement

legspin wrote: »
    Just another re-hash of 'Science can't explain everything therefore God'. Petty, ignorant self-serving nonsense.

D-
    must try harder

I am not saying, my quotes proves that there is supernatural god but it opens new dimensions there might be a supernatural civilization, so fast and so old, is controling us. They are so advance in the field of science now living in some other dimension. They can see us we cant because of us poor science. We need some kind supernatural science to track it down. We need supernatural senses and science to get to it.. You are amazed, I have used the term supernatural sences and science.... We with our natural senses, can experience the presence of supernatural.

Think outside box of god :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Fear123 wrote: »
    My grandmother wasnot an alchol drinker, she lived in a house that was built on a grave yard. Many people around her have seen such things. For example, Once they bought a flowers, the flower didnt grow in that house and they had a dog with them that started barking in night. It is said animal like goat/dogs they can smell the presence of supernatural before them. There are explainable things and event in this world. Even science can't explain. My uncle living in that house, he became mad. They went to every doctor but didnt get cure.

All worlds are mortal but they connected with somekind of supernatural phenomena

The point was that you can't claim an individual anecdote is anything even remotely close to evidence, particularly when the claims are so, well, out there.

A flower didn't grow? And the immediate decision was ghosts/god/fairys/whatever supernatural entity you like was to blame? Could the plant maybe have been damaged on the way to the house? Perhaps the environment didn't suit it. A dog barking in the night is hardly unusual either. All of the proof you're putting forward could be explained much easier by natural causes. Why are you taking supernatural causes as the default explanation?

The point was that you can't claim an individual anecdote is anything even remotely close to evidence, particularly when the claims are so, well, out there.

A flower didn't grow? And the immediate decision was ghosts/god/fairys/whatever supernatural entity you like was to blame? Could the plant maybe have been damaged on the way to the house? Perhaps the environment didn't suit it. A dog barking in the night is hardly unusual either. All of the proof you're putting forward could be explained much easier by natural causes. Why are you taking supernatural causes as the default explanation?
    Doctor, i am giving you the summary, my grand mother grew many kind flowers and plants they didnt grow, became sick and pale, The house was wide. The natural science tells that flower should grow in that house, but didnt grow. No one knew or ever explained. What was going behind it..They also have a goat, goat also did the same thing, it cried in the night. My uncle always remain sick and my grand mother saw strange things.

When my grand mother left that house, another family settled down there.. They also left that house. The house was haunted. There are many things in this world that science cant explain.

Evolution could be a process controlled billion of years by some kind of supernatural thing.

Doctor, i am giving you the summary, my grand mother grew many kind flowers and plants they didnt grow, became sick and pale, The house was wide. The natural science tells that flower should grow in that house, but didnt grow. No one knew or ever explained. What was going behind it..They also have a goat, goat also did the same thing, it cried in the night. My uncle always remain sick and my grand mother saw strange things.

When my grand mother left that house, another family settled down there.. They also left that house. The house was haunted. There are many things in this world that science cant explain.

Evolution could be a process controlled billion of years by some kind of supernatural thing.
    65-wat.jpg?resize=567%2C567

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I am not saying, my quotes proves that there is supernatural god but it opens new dimensions there might be a supernatural civilization, so fast and so old, is controling us. They are so advance in the field of science now living in some other dimension. They can see us we cant because of us poor science. We need some kind supernatural science to track it down. We need supernatural senses and science to get to it.. You are amazed, I have used the term supernatural sences and science.... We with our natural senses, can experience the presence of supernatural.

Think outside box of god :)

There is no supernatural, there is only nature we do not understand yet.
    Anything else is wishful thinking.
    And the chances are, if and when we figure it out, there is an explanation that rules out anything related to the wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

doc, your science I have seen its limits. It can explain only natural things but now explain what i am telling you. Do you believe in supernatural things. Leave gods..Things like evil spirits, ghost and black magic. What is black magic or voodo...

Why is it these people who have made great breakthroughs destroying our scientific understanding always seem to have such broken English?

legspin wrote: »
    There is no supernatural, there is only nature we do not understand yet.
    Anything else is wishful thinking.
    And the chances are, if and when we figure it out, there is an explanation that rules out anything related to the wishful thinking.

There are no chances that science can explain supernatural. Because our science is material and we are becoming more and more material with passage of time. You need to experience supernatrual things legspin

Why is it these people who have made great breakthroughs destroying our scientific understanding always seem to have such broken English?
    doc, it is poetry, you can create many meaning and create so many natural and supernatural explanation. You have to think and experience against the customs. Create your own thinking and world. See and experience unexplainable things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

doc, it is poetry, you can create many meaning and create so many natural and supernatural explanation. You have to think and experience against the customs. Create your own thinking and world. See and experience unexplainable things

Take lots of drugs you mean.

Neither myself nor Prof Dawkins claims that we were created by Aliens.
    ... its just one possible hypothesis ... and I believe in the God hypothesis myself.

You said science has proven intelligent design. You also said that supernatural explanations are excluded from science, ergo aliens did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I am a scientist, but in a way it doesn't really matter. If I am not a scientist, is it not even more remarkable that I can present the scientific evidence for ID and defend it comprehensively against all comers, including hundreds of well-qualified scientists, on this and other threads on the Boards?

Except when people refute it and you ignore it you mean. And you still haven't presented any evidence, except nonsense that "science doesn't allow". Are theist scientists who agree with evolution just wrong then? all of them? Evolution actually has evidence.

Take lots of drugs you mean.

People who experience supernatural things, they dont take drug, they mediate. There are people, funny people in this world who take natural science to explain supernatural. How fool they have been. Natural science see only material things. Supernatural things are seen by experience and say there are chances that natural science can explain supernatural some day. What a fools paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

There are no chances that science can explain supernatural. Because our science is material and we are becoming more and more material with passage of time. You need to experience supernatrual things legspin

Oh for fúcks sake. Try a spell on the ignore list and while you're there read everything Oldrnwisr has posted in this thread and it's previous equally horrible incarnation.

'Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod:

ABC, it's easy, Fear 123 isn't going to be posting here for a while (possibly ever)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Gintonious wrote: »
    Pal, don't waste your time on that one. If he has a degree he found it in a packet of tayto salt and vinegar.

Don't be so harsh, he needed to collect 10 crisp packets for his degree of Billy Bob McNASCAR University! :pac:

You said science has proven intelligent design. You also said that supernatural explanations are excluded from science, ergo aliens did it.
    The author of the information is unknown.

Except when people refute it and you ignore it you mean. And you still haven't presented any evidence, except nonsense that "science doesn't allow". Are theist scientists who agree with evolution just wrong then? all of them? Evolution actually has evidence.
    NS acting on existing genetic diversity is well founded evidentially ... its the source of the genetic diversity that's at issue.

The author of the information is unknown.

So did the aliens create God, or vice versa?

So did the aliens create God, or vice versa?
    The author is scientifically unknown.

The author is scientifically unknown.

And the hypothesis that life requires a creator is unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

This link indicates that there are approximately 10^80 fundamental particles in the Universe, with some estimates going as high a 10^85.
    http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/numbers.html

You see this is one of the indicators that Dembski is not a reputable scientist. His concept of a UPB is supposed to be a safe overestimate. Yet he uses a figure which is off by as much as 5 orders of magnitude. That's a pretty big oversight.

OK, so we agree on the Universal Probability Bound being at maximum 10^150.
    ... and Dr Dembski reached this figure, by calculation using the same scientific method and facts, as you did.

No, we don't agree. What I said was that Dembski's figure for the UPB is a reasonable estimate. That's all. There is still a lot of room either way, the figure of 10^150 is by no means a rigid maximum.
    Secondly, only Dembski's actual conclusion is reasonable. His premise has no solid scientific basis. There is no good reason to support his three factors as relevant or correct for calculating a UPB. Even Dembski himself has retracted the original equation for the UPB. Since 2005, Dembski now claims that the UPB is defined as the inverse of the product of :

• An upper bound on the computational resources of the universe in its entire history (as outlined in my last post). This is estimated by Seth Lloyd as 10120 elementary logic operations on a register of 1090 bits
    • The (variable) rank complexity of the event under consideration (A quantity which Dembski has never further defined making it completely arbitrary and thus useless).

You are correct that proteins aren't produced by chance ... because, amongst other things, the UPB prevents this. Proteins are produced in complex and highly specified amino acid sequences. The specification of these sequences was either done by an inordinate intelligence (a possible hypothesis) or via random processes like mutagenesis (something that we both appear to agree is impossible).

OK, I think we're going to have to take a step back a bit here because it's clear from the passage above that you clearly don't understand what it is that is under discussion (particularly from your out of place reference to mutagenesis). So what I am going to do is go through step-by-step the mechanism by which genetic material can be formed from plausibe prebiotic compounds. I will, at each step, support my points (as usual) with reference to solid peer-reviewed science.

To begin I am going to briefly outline the steps in the sequence before going into more detail. The sequence that I am proposing is as follows:

1. A primordial earth with abundant hydrothermal activity, containing the following simple organic compounds: cyanamide, cyanoacetylene, glycolaldehyde, glyceraldehyde and also any inorganic phosphate.
    2. The formation of activated ribonucleotides through a stepwise process to be detailed below.
    3. Montmorillonite clay forms around an air bubble to create a semi-permeable cell wall.
    4. Protected from the environment , ribonucleotides undergo polymerisation to form oligomers.
    5. At the same time, the montmorillonite bubble acts as a catalyst by promoting the formation of a cell membrane from fatty acids.
    6. As the clay cell floats about, shear and thermal stresses cause the clay to fracture releasing the protobiont into the surrounding ocean.
    5. The presence of thermal vents on earth leads these protobionts to reproduce through a mechanism similar to the polymerase chain reaction.
    6. Voila! Life

Step 1 - Formation of activated ribonucleotides

This step should be the easiest for you to follow because it only involves basic chemistry. The process progresses as follows:

1. Cyanamide and glycolaldehyde form a peptide bond to produce 2-amino-oxazole.
    2. 2-amino-oxazole combines with glyceraldehyde to form a pentose amino-oxazoline.
    3. Pentose amino-oxazolines combine with cyanoacetylene to form anhydroarabinonucleoside.
    4. Anhydroarabinonucleoside undergoes (in the presence of an inorganic phosphate) phosphorylation to become B-ribocytidine-
    2',3'-cyclic phosphate (an activated ribonucleotide).

Now before, we continue, here's a graphic illustrating the process and the science supporting it:

Fig1_Orlife.jpg

Synthesis of activated pyrimidine ribonucleotides in prebiotically plausible conditions

Step 2 - Vesicle formation

The next step is the formation a montmorillonite bubble to act as a temporary cell wall. In 2011 a team from Harvard, Princeton and Brandeis universities showed experimentally that a stable, semi-permeable vesicle can form from natural montmorillonite clay around air bubbles present in the ocean.

GA?id=C0SM01354D

Semi-permeable vesicles composed of natural clay

This is an important development for three reasons:

1. The montmorillonite vesicle provides a stable compartment protecting anything in the interior from external reactions.
    2. Montmorillonite catalyses the polymerisation of ribonucleotides to form RNA.
    3. Montmorillonite catalyses the formation of fatty-acid vesicles leading to the development of a more stable and long-lasting cell wall inside the clay wall.

With regard to the first point, the study above shows the stability of the montmorillonite cells.

As for the second point, it has been demonstrated experimentally:

Oligomerization of ribonucleotides on montmorillonite: reaction of the 5'-phosphorimidazolide of adenosine

that montmorillonite catalyses the formation of oligomers from the activated ribonucleotides which we have already demonstrated above. These oligomers can reach as much as 50-mer lengths

ja061782kn00001.gif

One-Step, Regioselective Synthesis of up to 50-mers of RNA Oligomers by Montmorillonite Catalysis

These ribonucleotides can permeate the vesicle but once formed are trapped within the protocell membrane.

As for the third point, it has also been shown experimentally that montmorillonite catalyses the formation of fatty-acid vesicles.

Mineral Surface Directed Membrane Assembly

Once fatty-acid vesicle is produced the growth of the vesicle is autocatalytic which has also been demonstrated experimentally:

Autopoietic Self-Reproduction of Fatty Acid Vesicles

Once this self-sustaining reaction has begun (sustained by the attraction of nearby lipids), the growing fatty acid vesicle begins to exert an outward pressure on the montmorillonite shell. From basic materials science we know that montmorillonite being a ceramic material has good strength when in compression (hence protection from external forces) but weak in tension. As a result the growing vesicle shatters the montmorillonite shell and the resulting protobiont is free to float in the primordial ocean. So now we have a protobiont consisting of a fatty acid membrane which is permeable to monomers and small molecules but impermeable to the oligomer now trapped within.

The next step in the process is the growth of the oligomer to form RNA and other more complex biological polymers.

The basic reaction sequence that is followed is similar to that used in polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing.

840px-Polymerase_chain_reaction.svg.png

Now, here's where it gets interesting. We have above a mechanism for a reaction by which the oligomer inside the protobiont can form larger and more complex structures. However, what we are currently missing is something to kickstart this reaction. This is where the conditions of the early earth. Given what we know from basic geology, physics and geography, it is likely that the early Earth was populated with a vast number of hydrothermal vents.
    Firstly, it has been shown that the protobionts described above are thermally stable at temperatures of up to 100 degrees:

Thermostability of model protocell membranes

At these elevated tempeatures the strands of polymer begin to denature while being trapped inside the vesicle while the vesicle itself expands allowing more monomers to cross into the cell whereby the current carries the cell away to a lower temperature where the nucleotides acquired at high temperature can bond to the denatured polymer backbone allowing for growth of the RNA. It can also lead to copying of the RNA. This is an important development. As the RNA inside the vesicle grows/copies it increases the osmotic pressure inside the cell. This causes the vesicle to attract nearby lipids at an even greater rate thus creating a larger cell. As these membranes grow they develop a tubular branched shape which can be divided by external forces such as shear stresses from thermal differentials in the ocean. Here's a nice little graphic to demonstrate what I mean.

Fig2_Orlife.jpg

As the authors note in the paper above:

"The strands of encapsulated double-stranded DNA can be separated by denaturation at high temperature while being retained within vesicles, implying that strand separation in primitive protocells could have been mediated by thermal fluctuations without the loss of genetic material from the protocell. At elevated temperatures, complex charged molecules such as nucleotides cross fatty-acid-based membranes very rapidly, suggesting that high temperature excursions may have facilitated nutrient uptake before the evolution of advanced membrane transporters. The thermostability of these membranes is consistent with the spontaneous replication of encapsulated nucleic acids by the alternation of template-copying chemistry at low temperature with strand-separation and nutrient uptake at high temperature. "

So now we have a cell containing RNA which is capable of growth and reproduction using only basic chemistry and relying only on thermodynamics and physical forces. We have a primitive living organism.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave it there for now. Tomorrow I'll continue with the increase in complexity and the introduction of DNA as well as addressing the rest of your points. However, as we can see from above we have already gotten from a simple non-living primordial earth to a primitive cell capable of growth and reproduction with no need for chance or design.

I realise that this post may have been overly long and containing a lot of hard science and citations so for anyone interested I present a more graphical and simplified explanation of the mechanism detailed above:

One final note: You know when you really get down to it intelligent design isn't all that hard to understand and tear apart. It is, at its core, based on two principles: reassurance and doubt. These may seem like contradictory principles but only because one is involved in the conception of ID and the other in its propagation.
    The first principle is reassurance. The concept of ID is quite simple, it provides a reassurance mechanism by explaining all the detailed natural processes above with one all sweeping cause an intelligent designer. Moreover this designer has created order, creating animals within distinct kinds. The thing is, we all know, that the overwhelming majority of ID supporters fall into an easily identifiable category, conservative Christians. Moreover, we also know that these people overwhelmingly tend also to be politically conservative. Now, here's where it gets interesting. In 2003 a group of researchers conducted a meta-analysis on 88 studies of political conservatism involving over 22,000 people. The analysis found that:

"A meta-analysis (88 samples, 12 countries, 22,818 cases) confirms that several psychological variables predict political conservatism: death anxiety (weighted mean r = .50); system instability (.47); dogmatism-intolerance of ambiguity (.34); openness to experience (-.32); uncertainty tolerance (-.27); needs for order, structure, and closure (.26); integrative complexity (-.20); fear of threat and loss (.18); and self-esteem (-.09). "

Pretty much everything on that list are things that ID offers in spades, reassurance about death (afterlife), order, uncertainty. For ID supporters and creationists, tackling the surface flaws of ID are not going to have impact because the story is so comforting. To really impact ID we have to undermine its foundation as we have done above.

The second principle above is doubt. In 1969, a now infamous and yet anonymous tobacco company executive penned a memo which has become titled "Manufacturing doubt". In it he says:

"Doubt is our product, since it is the best means of competing with the "body of fact" that exists in the minds of the general public. It is also the means of establishing the controversy."

Doubt is the product sold by the ID movement. Through their "Wedge" strategy and their "Teach the Controversy" strategy they attempt to sow doubt and create a space for ID to compete with evolution because it cannot compete on facts alone.
    Doubt is also JC's product. He never, despite his attestations to the contrary, responds to an opposing viewpoint in any meaningful way. He simply posts an answer which deals with every point but only superficially so, enough that it might sow doubt in the mind of a third party reading this thread.
    Doubt is why I post and will continue to post against JC's rubbish. As MrP so excellently pointed out:
    MrPudding wrote: »
    I guess he bothers because not everyone is a dumb, wilfully ignorant creatard, and people that have not fully formed an opinion or been duped by creationism can still be influenced.

Finally (really this time), I would like to thank everyone for their supportive messages after my last post but shoutouts in particular to lazygal and MrPudding. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Its the probability of getting a specific functional amino acid chain ... and many hundreds of such specific chains must be assembled coherently for even the most basic of life forms.

It is a model that supposes that an amino acid chain is randomly decided as if by a roll of the dice. But as has been extensively shown, that is a strawman position. Read oldrandwisers post for a pretty clear explanation. I notice you have not adressed it at all?
    Its not actually. Some kind of random design isn't evidence of intelligent design ... specificity and functionality are the key factors in determining the presence of intelligent design.

But this example can be considered both specific and functional: it is specifically a witch, and it's function is to look like one.

Unless you want to say that both being specific and functional are relative notions? If so, then ID cannot call on this either.
    A pattern that looks like a witch on a broom stick on your tiles might be due to intelligent action or it could simply be due to random processes. The same is true about fractals and snowflakes ... they all exhibit complex design ... but they lack specificity ... and they don't contain functional information and thus aren't intelligently designed.

Au contraire: the information the pattern contains is incredibly complex. The mere amount of data that is contained in any pattern of that size is staggering.

And "specificity", as we have seen, is simply created by deciding that you feel something is intended for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

J C. Your argument seems to be that the random replication of DNA could not have lead to life as we know it in the short (relatively) time the earth has been capable of supporting life. This is true, but it's not what is being argued. Early 'evolution' of life on earth was little more than chemistry happening. To claim it was impossible without intelligent intervention is like claiming water could not form without intelligent intervention. When Hydrogen and Oxygen meet, it invariably forms water molecules because that is the most stable bond it can create. It's like that because that's how chemistry works, not because a god is joining each atom together. It's the same for those early days of life, it happened that way because that's how the chemistry had to work, given the conditions at the time (for more details, see oldrnwisr's comprehensive post on the subject above). You could argue that a god created the systems of chemistry with the knowledge that life would form and with a full knowledge of how it would evolve, but that doesn't disprove evolution.

Advertisement