Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Samaris wrote: »
    Fascinating reading, oldrnwiser - sounds like this is your area. Do you work in it or is this from interest?

Also, I like the language analogy.

Thanks Samaris.

No I don't work in the area. In fact I've never formally studied biology or evolution. I didn't do biology in school and I'm a physicist (specifically metallurgist) by education and a sysadmin by profession. My interest in evolution is entirely autodidactic. It started with pop-sci books then school textbooks, college textbooks, academic books and eventually peer-reviewed research.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by Samaris
    Fascinating reading, oldrnwiser - sounds like this is your area. Do you work in it or is this from interest?

oldrnwisr
    Thanks Samaris.

No I don't work in the area. In fact I've never formally studied biology or evolution. I didn't do biology in school and I'm a physicist (specifically metallurgist) by education.
    wrote:
    (10) thanks from:

Delirium, Mark Hamill, MrPudding, oscarBravo, PopePalpatine, robindch, Samaris, spacecoyote, Timberrrrrrrr, timbyr
    That's one hell of a 'mutual admiration society' that you guys have going on amongst yourselves there !!:eek:

Oldrnwisr isn't even an Evolutionary Biologist (or indeed any kind of Biologist) ... and ye are 'wetting yourselves' over his use of Evolutionist Textbooks links ... interspersed with a few 'just so' stories, that do little to progress the actual evidence for Spontaneous evolution, other than fill up walls of text ... that would take hours of work to decipher and answer ... which is often the objective of lengthy posts, in the first place.

It's a truism that if you can't say what you want to say in a post, in a few well thought-out sentences ... it's not worth saying.

I was going to answer oldrnwiser ... out of courtesy to the guy ... but I've decided that I'd be wasting my time, such is the demonstrable bias objectively shown by you all.
    Nothing I say will make any difference to you guys.

Convince somebody against their will ... and they will be of the same opinion still.:)

wrote:
    (10) thanks from:
    Delirium, Mark Hamill, MrPudding, oscarBravo, PopePalpatine, robindch, Samaris, spacecoyote, Timberrrrrrrr, timbyr
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” :)

... and BTW that was from Shakespeare (Hamlet) ... just in case somebody starts accusing me of plagarising The Bard. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J C wrote: »
    [...][ would take hours of work to decipher and answer [...]
    Many people spend decades of their lives working through the natural world to figure out how it works. That's what it takes, at least on the scientific side as opposed to the makey-uppey, fluff and nonsense side.
    Nothing I say will make any difference to you guys.
    You are unlikely to change anybody's mind here - not because the good people who post here in A+A are floundering around, clueless, under some weird topic-specific groupthink - but for the much simpler reason that most people are far more well-informed than you about biology.

As before, though, your posts produce the occasional gem in response and that's why the moderators turn a blind eye to your posting style which, over time, is against the forum charter.

robindch wrote: »
    Many people spend decades of their lives working through the natural world to figure out how it works. That's what it takes, at least on the scientific side as opposed to the makey-uppey, fluff and nonsense side.
    As good a description of spontaneous evolution as one could find.

You are unlikely to change anybody's mind here - not because the good people who post here in A+A are floundering around, clueless, under some weird topic-specific groupthink - but for the much simpler reason that most people are far more well-informed than you about biology.
    ... even the Physicists and metallurgists apparently.:)
    ... of course many Evolutionary Biologists know the serious deficiencies in Spontaneous Evolution ... and are furiously looking for a replacement ... with, it has to be said, very little success to date.
    ... so perhaps the only people who really and truly believe in Spontaneous Evolution are physicists and metallurgists !!!:eek:
    As before, though, your posts produce the occasional gem in response and that's why the moderators turn a blind eye to your posting style which, over time, is against the forum charter.
    Which part of the charter would that be, Robin?

• Advertisement

... even the Physicists and metallurgists apparently.:)
    Indeed, and I'm glad that you now accept that you are less informed than oldrnwisr.
    Which part of the charter would that be, Robin?
    As you know quite well, it's the bit about soap-boxing - the endless repetition of a single point of view without engaging in any serious discussion about it.

There are plenty of forums where posters can soapbox to their hearts' content but A+A isn't one of them.

... not because the good people who post here in A+A are floundering around, clueless, under some weird topic-specific groupthink ...
    ... now that you mention it, Robin ... I couldn't have said it better myself.:)

All the sychophantic profuse thanks and gushing praise for the musings of a physicist on evolution, does indeed indicate a 'weird topic-specific groupthink' ... when it comes to Atheists on this forum and Spontaneous Evolution.

All the sychophantic profuse thanks and gushing praise for the musings of a physicist on evolution, does indeed indicate a 'weird topic-specific groupthink' [...]
    It could also, and much more likely, indicate that your fellow forum posters respect the effort which somebody puts in to refuting the nonsense you write.

BTW, have you been drinking?

It could also, and much more likely, indicate that your fellow forum posters respect the effort which somebody puts in to refuting the nonsense you write.

BTW, have you been drinking?
    I haven't been drinking ... why, have you been 'hitting the bottle' yourself?:confused:

You're starting to sound like a policeman gearing up to administer a sobriety test !!!:)

Indeed, and I'm glad that you now accept that you are less informed than oldrnwisr.
    Everybody is uninformed about Spontaneous Evolution ... because there is nothing to be informed about ... as it simply doesn't exist.
    As you know quite well, it's the bit about soap-boxing - the endless repetition of a single point of view without engaging in any serious discussion about it.

There are plenty of forums where posters can soapbox to their hearts' content but A+A isn't one of them.
    If one looks at the various threads on the A & A the postings are entirely predictable ... knocking the hell out of religion and the people who practice it is the common theme across practically every thread from the get go ... even the titles of most threads do this ... the entire forum is a 'soapbox' for irrelgion and anti-religion (under your defintion of soapboxing being endless repitition of a single point of view).
    However, I don't think that soapboxing is as you describe it ... soapboxing would be talking at and through people irrespective of what they are saying (like somebody on a literal soapbox giving a speech) ... and insisting on answering one's own questions (and only one's own questions), irrespective of the questions other people are asking.
    Under this definition, neither the forum nor myself are 'soapboxing'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If one looks at the various threads on the A & A the postings are entirely predictable ... knocking the hell out of religion and the people who practice it is the common theme across practically every thread ... even the titles of most threads do this ... the entire forum is a 'soapbox' for irrelgion and anti-religion (under your defintion of soapboxing being endless repitition of a single point of view).
    [/B]

Do you mean to say that after all this time you have only just noticed this is the Atheism and Agnosticism forum? What else would we be doing but knocking the hell out of religion? As long as it continues to plague us and affect our lives we will continue to show what nonsense it is.

looksee wrote: »
    Do you mean to say that after all this time you have only just noticed this is the Atheism and Agnosticism forum? What else would we be doing but knocking the hell out of religion? As long as it continues to plague us and affect our lives we will continue to show what nonsense it is.
    Two points in response to that ...

Firstly, if soapboxing is an endless repitition of a single point of view ... then you have just confirmed that the entire forum is a soapbox for irreligion. I don't think it is (for the reasons I have already outlined in my previous post).

Secondly, whilst ye are free to do as ye see fit ... if were an atheist in a pluralist democracy ... I wouldn't go 'knocking the hell' out the religious beliefs of the vast majority of the society in which I lived ... doubly so, if had ambitions to 'win friends and influence enemies' on issues ranging from the control of schools and hospitals ... to having my voice taken seriously on all kinds of other issues, especially those relating to respect for social diversity and equaity of treatment for all citizens.
    Far be it for me to give you guys any advice ... but if I were an atheist posting on this forum ... I would certainly be trying to, at the very least, balance anti-religion threads with some threads promoting the positives of Atheism and Secularism ... provided, of course, that such positives exist.

However, I don't think that soapboxing is as you describe it [...]
    Unfortunately, the moderators are the good folks who set the rules, who decide what's allowed and what isn't and what the terms used mean - usually with input from the people who post in the forum. And the moderators have decided that the tedious repetition of a single point of view without entertaining any serious discussion on the topic - as you do - is not a desirable characteristic, and have deemed it incompatible with the forum charter.

You are free to redefine soap-boxing to mean whatever you like, but that's not going to change the basic fact that the kind of tedious behaviour which would eventually result in you being asked to leave a friend's dinner table will also, ultimately, see you being asked to leave here too - or in your specific case, for the time being, restricted to a corner of the forum where most people don't need to listen.

Firstly, if soapboxing is an endless repitition of a single point of view ... then you have just confirmed that the entire forum is a soapbox for irreligion. I don't think it is (for the reasons I have already outlined in my previous post).
    SOAPBOXING IS (A) THE TEDIOUS REPETITION OF A SINGLE POINT OF VIEW (B) WITHOUT ENTERTAINING ANY SERIOUS DISCUSSION ON THE TOPIC.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE TWO PARTS TO THIS. THE BIT ABOUT "TEDIOUS REPETITION". AND THE BIT ABOUT "WITHOUT ENTERTAINING SERIOUS DISCUSSION" (I HAVE COLORED THEM RED AND PURPLE SO THAT THE TWO BITS ARE EASIER TO DISTINGUISH).

THE DEFINITION OF SOAP-BOXING HAS BEEN CLARIFIED TO YOU INNUMERABLE TIMES DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS AND HAS BEEN SITTING IN THE FORUM CHARTER FOR ALMOST TWELVE YEARS:
    Charter wrote:
    the constant repetition of a single viewpoint while refusing to entertain discussion on it, is both disruptive and annoying, and will not be tolerate
    AT THIS POINT, YOU SHOULD REALLY BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT. IT REALLY ISN'T VERY DIFFICULT.

Unfortunately, the moderators are the good folks who set the rules, who decide what's allowed and what isn't and what the terms used mean - usually with input from the people who post in the forum. And the moderators have decided that the tedious repetition of a single point of view without entertaining any serious discussion on the topic - as you do - is not a desirable characteristic, and have deemed it incompatible with the forum charter.

You are free to redefine soap-boxing to mean whatever you like, but that's not going to change the basic fact that the kind of tedious behaviour which would eventually result in you being asked to leave a friend's dinner table will also, ultimately, see you being asked to leave here too - or in your specific case, for the time being, restricted to a corner of the forum where most people don't need to listen.
    ... and do you think that the kind of posts and threads within the A & A and their constant 'knocking the hell out of religion' would be acceptable in polite mixed religious company at a dinner table?

I think I'd have a somewhat better chance at getting past dinner before being asked to leave, than you guys.:)

Either way, we're not at a dinner table ... we're robustly debating issues of common interest, to both sides ... and using dinner conversation standards as a 'yardstick' will reflect much more poorly on the A & As deeply anti-religious stance (to the point of insulting and making fun of people of faith) than on my pro-creation and anti-evolution stance.

SOAPBOXING IS (A) THE TEDIOUS REPETITION OF A SINGLE POINT OF VIEW (B) WITHOUT ENTERTAINING ANY SERIOUS DISCUSSION ON THE TOPIC.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE TWO PARTS TO THIS. THE BIT ABOUT "TEDIOUS REPETITION". AND THE BIT ABOUT "WITHOUT ENTERTAINING SERIOUS DISCUSSION" (I HAVE COLORED THEM RED AND PURPLE SO THAT THE TWO BITS ARE EASIER TO DISTINGUISH).

THE DEFINITION OF SOAP-BOXING HAS BEEN CLARIFIED TO YOU INNUMERABLE TIMES DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS AND HAS BEEN SITTING IN THE FORUM CHARTER FOR ALMOST TWELVE YEARS:AT THIS POINT, YOU SHOULD REALLY BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT. IT REALLY ISN'T VERY DIFFICULT.
    Ok Firstly one man's 'tedious' is another man's 'riveting stuff'. To a Christian, coming onto your forum, your constant knocking of religion is 'tedious' to them ... and, as I've already suggested ... somewhat counter-productive for you guys, depending on how ye would like to be perceived by society around ye.

On the 'repetition' issue ... both sides are guilty of this ... the A & A is nothing if not repetitive on the 'knocking the hell out of religion' ... and Creationism, for good measure !!!:)

On the 'without entertaining serious discussion' ... I totally disagree that I don't do this ... every post by me, including this one, is focussed precisely on the discussion at hand.

You've had this explained to you multiple times, so no point in continuing a pointless discussion.