Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of a "No thanks" option on boards

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I think the time has come for this. Sort of like an "dislike" option on facebook.

Too often you get some rubbish being spouted, a few of the usual suspects will thank it. There's no option for the silent majority to make their displeasure known.

Dislike and disgust are normal emotions! We deserve the right to express them!

And it would give trolls an aim to try to collect the most thumbs down.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Too often you get some rubbish being spouted, a few of the usual suspects will thank it.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

FearDark likes this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think the time has come for this. Sort of like an "dislike" option on facebook.

Too often you get some rubbish being spouted, a few of the usual suspects will thank it. There's no option for the silent majority to make their displeasure known.

There is, its called "closed account"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Flaws in your suggestion begin and end in that particular line.

Not feeding the trolls works better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dislike and disgust are normal emotions! We deserve the right to express them!

If only there was some way to post a counter point in every thread on the forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

1 like = 1 prayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A rating would make more sense.

Red or Green arrow

Click to rate + or - one cancels out the other.

DM uses it on their readers comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It looks like the usual suspects dislike your idea, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

krudler wrote: »
    If only there was some way to post a counter point in every thread on the forum..

Takes too long. And it's no easy for those of us who like our comments to be always witty and incisive. Sometimes it's just easier to click on an icon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yes up and down like the daily mail, brilliant.
    "She's not too skinny, she has a healthy body", always has about 450 thumbs downs in an angry red.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Maybe we could have the option of drawing a picture or submitting a poem that expresses your feeling on the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

There kind of is already - the poster who disagrees with the the poster who makes the stupid statement gets all the 'thanks' which makes the stupid poster look, well, stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Takes too long. And it's no easy for those of us who like our comments to be always witty and incisive. Sometimes it's just easier to click on an icon.

Ah, its lazyness that's the issue, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rasmus wrote: »
    There kind of is already - the poster who disagrees with the the poster who makes the stupid statement gets all the 'thanks' which makes the stupid poster look, well, stupid.

But the OP is talking about the SILENT majority

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its been asked before, it wont happen I reckon. It would make it far too easy to troll

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think it's a very good idea - would simplify a lot of the "I'm right, no you're wrong" arguments you get on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

But the OP is talking about the SILENT majority

Didn't read the OP properly - my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

MarkMc wrote: »
    Its been asked before, it wont happen I reckon. It would make it far too easy to troll

I don't think so. Trolls generally want a long drawn out fit of apoplectic rage - not a mere click of a polite "i disagree" button.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. Trolls generally want a long drawn out fit of apoplectic rage - not a mere click of a polite "i disagree" button.

Look at the Journal to see what I mean. People give red thumbs just to get a rise or annoy someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Look at the Journal to see what I mean. People give red thumbs just to get a rise or annoy someone

That's filled with knuckledraggers though, they only use it because you can sign in with facebook and the majority of them wouldn't be able to create a boards account if their lives depended on it.

Korvanica wrote: »

That's filled with knuckledraggers though, they only use it because you can sign in with facebook and the majority of them wouldn't be able to create a boards account if their lives depended on it.

To be fair, Boards has its fair share of muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, Boards has its fair share of muppets

**** you.

even if you have a valid and accurate point. **** YOU!!

Grayson wrote: »

**** you.

even if you have a valid and accurate point. **** YOU!!

Ha! I couldn't have summed it up better

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

El Guapo! wrote: »
    1 like = 1 prayer

lyk if u cryed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

there is a silent majority in every debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Just assume that if somebody doesn't thank your post that they disagree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

there is a silent majority in every debate

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

If you add a thumbs down option it will allow boards users to vent their fury into one quick click. :rolleyes:
    This will mean they have an option other than making a snide off topic counter comment with a :rolleyes: added. :rolleyes:
    That will mean an end to petty point for point arguments with highlighted sentences out of context, which is the whole purpose of boards in the first place. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement