Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of a "No thanks" option on boards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

If you add a thumbs down option it will allow boards users to vent their fury into one quick click. :rolleyes:

What's the problem? It'll just quicken the procedure. It'll be very effective I think.
    This will mean they have an option other than making a snide off topic counter comment with a :rolleyes: added. :rolleyes:

A snide off topic counter comment?
    Oh yeah, you mean like you just did? :rolleyes:
    That will mean an end to petty point for point arguments with highlighted sentences out of context, which is the whole purpose of boards in the first place. :rolleyes:

Now hang on a minute, it's going to be useful. The entire purpose of boards is a discussion site.
    Not for you to complain and try getting sly digs in. But I'm sure that's the only reason you want it to happen, so you can vote "dislike" with a bunch of accounts. And you smell. I don't know what that has to do with anything but it makes me seem like I have a point :rolleyes:

Did I do it right? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

What's the problem? It'll just quicken the procedure. It'll be very effective I think.

A snide off topic counter comment?
    Oh yeah, you mean like you just did? :rolleyes:

Now hang on a minute, it's going to be useful. The entire purpose of boards is a discussion site.
    Not for you to complain and try getting sly digs in. But I'm sure that's the only reason you want it to happen, so you can vote "dislike" with a bunch of accounts. And you smell. I don't know what that has to do with anything but it makes me seem like I have a point :rolleyes:

Did I do it right? :p

No. Fail, you can't just make me out to be some kind of Hitler, just cause I have a gay friend. BTW not everyone in the public sector is lazy.
    Typical taxi driver. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cry if u lik dis evrytim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

No. Fail, you can't just make me out to be some kind of Hitler, just cause I have a gay friend. BTW not everyone in the public sector is lazy.
    Typical taxi driver. :rolleyes:

Why are you making it out I'm so kinda of brute with a hatred of gay people?

IIRC it was you who had the idea that "gays shouldn't be allowed near straight people" so would you like to come clean now or do I need to dig through more of your posts for some wonderful opinions of yours? :rolleyes:

And futhermore, for someone being in the public sector and supposed to be working, you're spending an awful amount of time on boards... wonder what your boss would think of that. ;)

Disclamer: This is really hard to keep up. I think boardsies are insane if they do this constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

anything to be said for a 'thumb in the bum' button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

My dad says if this posts gets 1,000 thanks, he'll get a terminal dose of the piles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Drakares wrote: »
    My dad says if this posts gets 1,000 thanks, he'll get a terminal dose of the piles!

Let's make it happen.. :cool: Also, I'l be looking for some sort of evidence this happened.. :eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I think it's a very good idea - would simplify a lot of the "I'm right, no you're wrong" arguments you get on here.

How about a ''Thanks, But No Thanks" option, surely this would lead to a desired "I'm right, and you're not wrong" type scenario thingy, or not, maybe.

Of course, it would have to be balanced with a "No Thanks, But Thanks Anyway" option, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I think the time has come for this. Sort of like an "dislike" option on facebook.

Too often you get some rubbish being spouted, a few of the usual suspects will thank it. There's no option for the silent majority to make their displeasure known.

Dislike and disgust are normal emotions! We deserve the right to express them!

And it would give trolls an aim to try to collect the most thumbs down.

Mr President, it would be rather pointless. If the silent majority have such an issue with what is being said, they should make their voice heard or get over it. I find 'thanks' to be rather pointless in themselves but to add the option to dislike just creates an even more irritating system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

How about a 'fight fight fight fight fight fight fight fight' button.

If pressed it means the person is invited to meet up with you in real life for a throw-down.

.....teach you to say i was wrong to buy not rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

the whole thumbs up/down thing really works for youtube alright

Wossack wrote: »

Ya but people are always fooled with the "Thumbs up if you're listening to this in 2013" comment.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thread moved to Feedback forum.

I'm just going to say, I think this is a good idea and could go well. +1 from me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

RopeDrink wrote: »
    If you disagree with something being said or a post being made, isn't it better to actually HAVE that debate instead of clicking some button trying to do it for you?
    Exactly. Just as a 'groan' button would end up being used by a different set of 'usual suspects' against the first lot, the point of discussion is that if you disagree with something, you should be able to articulate rationally why. If you can't do that, then there's a good chance that you disagree with something simply because you don't like it for some half-arsed reason that you are not even bothered to question.

As things stand, if someone disagrees with an argument they're welcome to post a rebuttal, and often you'll see such rebuttals receive many thanks as a sign of showing which side of the argument the 'silent majority' are on. But if that 'silent majority' aren't arsed to make an argument against what is posted, then frankly, I've little sympathy for them.

So, as Ropey suggested for this idea; no, no, no and no again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wossack wrote: »

The reddit method is much better and why it is so popular, however that kinda goes against the more conversation oriented boards.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Won't happen. Ever. Has been done to death many times so no point in doing so again.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement