Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein/Creatine for running?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondered, a buddy was asking some questions about running, he runs 3 times a week, 8kms to 10kms per run and takes him 1hr to run 10kms, he would be of stocky build naturally. He wants to know, should he take protein shakes or creatine to help with training? He is training towards a half marathon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

abceire wrote: »
    Just wondered, a buddy was asking some questions about running, he runs 3 times a week, 8kms to 10kms per run and takes him 1hr to run 10kms, he would be of stocky build naturally. He wants to know, should he take protein shakes or creatine to help with training? He is training towards a half marathon.

If he loses weight he would be a faster runner. I used to take all that crap and tbh losing a bit of weight makes much more difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Haha good simple suggestion rom, like it! I'm same in squash, if I got the body fat % down bit more I'd do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

For 10km you shouldn't really be needing a protein supplement as such. Milk is a cheap and great recovery drink for running.

If upping your training to marathon level, L-Glutamine will probably be the best to use for endurance and recovery. L-Glutamine can also increase you metabolism which will allow you to burn more calories and it is great for your immune system as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I do weights 4 or 5 hrs a week and squash 2 to 4 hrs a week but get worn out every now and then, L-Glutamine might be good for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

rom wrote: »

Sweet, according to that I should have knocked about 3 minutes off my 10k time since November. I think I need a time trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Dow99 wrote: »
    Milk is a cheap and great recovery drink for running.

While it is cheap and maybe provides good recovery, I believe cow's milk is generally bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

rom wrote: »

According to the calculator an extra kg costs 2 minutes 53 in a marathon. I suppose it makes sense, but shocking at the same time.

To answer the op, whey and creatine wont make you go faster, better etc. on its own.

They are suppliments at the end of the day. How they will help is from a sports nutritional point of view from by topping up your levels of protein should you have not included enough in your diet that day.

Herein lies the rabbit hole of trying to determine how much Carbs Protein & Dietry fat we need to take in on a daily basis that most people find to tedious. As a result people look for a quick fix and google how much whey protein to take and as a result often consume to much. While this wont harm your health, all your body does is urinate the excess out, a pot of protein costs upto 60 euro and so if not done right results in you basically pissing money away.

Creatine, reserch has shown has no influence on endurance sports. Its good for counteracting lactic acid from short sharp bursts but thats pretty much it. It also retains water and will increase your lean muscle mass and weight.

If your in the gym a couple of times a week creatine is worth it, if only running I'd save your money.

If your interested in the sports nutrition aspect of it I'd give a thumbs up to a book called the Complete Sports Nutrition Handbook by Anita Bean - you will pick up a second hand copy on amazon for a fiver.

(Ramble over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought creatine was used to bulk you up, what benefit in running would a person think they'd get from it ?

As for other uses, I know an idiot who was given a bag of creatine and was told it was cocaine, said idiot went to the pub toilet and proceeded to sniff it. I never did find out if he performed better in training the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

sorry to hijack this thread but just have a question on the whole protein thing. At the moment i am running 7.3k 3 times i week what to get that up to 15 by the summer. over all plan is to run the dublin marathon in october. I was looking at taking something pre running to give me extra energy. I have been talking to some people some have suggested taking ROS Cho Charge which is carbohydrates based. someone else suggested taking Kinetics whey protein instead.

Would anyone have a comment on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

scheister wrote: »
    sorry to hijack this thread but just have a question on the whole protein thing. At the moment i am running 7.3k 3 times i week what to get that up to 15 by the summer. over all plan is to run the dublin marathon in october. I was looking at taking something pre running to give me extra energy. I have been talking to some people some have suggested taking ROS Cho Charge which is carbohydrates based. someone else suggested taking Kinetics whey protein instead.

Would anyone have a comment on this

My recommendation is don't take any of that crap. You don't need it. Plenty of marathon runners on this board regularly run 20 miles without any fancy powders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BenMicheal wrote: »
    According to the calculator an extra kg costs 2 minutes 53 in a marathon. I suppose it makes sense, but shocking at the same time.

I'm rather sceptical. I have run very similar marathon times weighting 8 pounds more or less, and the effort level was pretty much the same.

When I ran my marathon PB I was at the upper end of my usual race weight (148 pounds) and at my second fastest I was 5 pound lighter but 6 minutes slower.

Advertisement