Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vets discount for neutering stray dogs?

• 18-02-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

hi, recently took in a stray and no luck yet locating her owners. she is currently in heat and very popular with the boys in our neighbourhood!
    Met a woman yesterday while in Coole Park who told me of a vet in ennis who neuters dogs & cats that are strays or from animal shelters for €20..she had her rescue dog done recently for this amount.
    Anyone know if they do this in galway?
    looks like we might be hanging onto this dog for the forseeable future as no-one has claimed her nor have we been able to find anyone to re-home her and if she is staying she will need to be neutered..the boys in our park don't take no for an answer!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You could try contacting the three Galway rescues and see if they would be willing to book him in with their vet for neutering and you would pay the bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I don't know of a vet personally that neuters stray animals for €20 but some rescues avail of the Dogs Trust scheme - essentially, the owners pays €20 with a voucher from Dogs Trust for neutering with certain vets. It is only available to those on certain social welfare payments and sometimes you could get one through rescues, and not all vets take part in the scheme.

Otherwise, there may be a vet that will do it for you cheaply - your best bet is to ring around. Some vets will do cats on a CNR (catch, neuter, release) program for cheap so I imagine there are some that will do stray dogs. Again, giving vets a ring and seeing if they can do a deal for you is your best bet to find out any info.

On a slightly different note - it is not recommended to spay (neuter) females while they are in heat or close to a heat. You will need to wait until she is half way between heats to get her done (usually around 2/3 months after her heat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I recently had a dog spayed who had just come out of heat, my vets said that they can do dogs in heat now...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I recently had a dog spayed who had just come out of heat, my vets said that they can do dogs in heat now...

Jayney... I'm not a vet so don't know if for some reason it has become medically safe to spay a female in heat, but certainly from a behavioural point of view it is a risky, risky thing to do, and the evidence for this is growing.
    There are more vets taking heed of behavioural and medical interactions, but not all, so even if my vet assured me it was medically safe, I'd still be worried, and rightly so, about the potential for an unwanted behavioural impact. Much safer to wait until she's mid-cycle, in about 3 months' time.
    As for the €20 spay, this almost certainly involved a Dogs Trust voucher, because that's what it costs. I don't know any rescue who can get a female spayed for anywhere near that sort of money, despite serious price-cuts from supportive vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It can be done, it's the same op regardless of being in or out of heat, but most vets I have talked to don't recommend it at all and say it's safer to wait until mid cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't remember his name but the vet who cares for Ennis Dog pound is known to go above and beyond for the animals, maybe its him thats offering cheaper neutering. It might be worth emailing the pound and asking if they know of the cheapest fee.

I remember being at the vet last year when someone wanted their female dog neutered, they wouldn't do it until later in her cycle. Just because it can be done when she's on heat doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Bitches can technically be done when in heat but the area becomes a lot more vascular so there is a much higher risk of bleeding post op, I've seen it done on an emergency situation when there was a pyometra but it's really not recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Bitches can technically be done when in heat but the area becomes a lot more vascular so there is a much higher risk of bleeding post op!

That's exactly what my vet told me. My bitch came into her first heat before I had her spayed. I was advised to wait 2 months from end of heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

thanks guys will make a few calls and ask at our vets.
    our dog came into her first heat 2 days before she was due to be neutered. her heat lasted nearly a month but a week after it stopped the vet took her in to be neutered...no more than the doctors it seems the vets all have different opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its very hard for the vets to be certain they have got everything when the bitch is neutered during or close to her season. I have one bitch that was spayed years ago, but has 'false' seasons every 6 months, because the vet missed a bit, we thought she'd been done at the right time, but obviously not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement