Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Crossing in Greystones

Options
  • 18-02-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html

Guys,

I'm really sorry but i have to rant here.

I am sick to death of everytime I'm crossing at the "new" pedestrian crossings (one at fenton fires / one the other end passed Berertons carpets) drivers nearly knock me down.

Even though I wait until the road is clear and step out onto the crossing and the fact that I myself am lit up like a christmas tree with visi vest etc they still try and fly over the crossing at crazy speeds.

Can drivers PLEASE learn the rules of the road!!! :(
    Ive attached it above just in case.

Drivers must stop to let you cross. As they approach the crossing, they should slow and be prepared to stop. They must stop behind the stop line if there is one and must not enter any part of the crossing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Drivers in Charlesland do the opposite. They stop at what is not a pedestrian crossing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

you would still need to be alert incase they don't stop If your dead your dead no matter who is at fault..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Drivers in Charlesland do the opposite. They stop at what is not a pedestrian crossing.

Yes, I think that people need to be aware that the ramps in Charlesland are not pedestrian crossings with the exemption of the second ramp coming into the main estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yes, I think that people need to be aware that the ramps in Charlesland are not pedestrian crossings with the exemption of the second ramp coming into the main estate!

I thought all the entrance ramps were pedestrian ramps, with the exception of the first one you meet coming into the estate.

EDIT: I just checked google maps and all four have pedestrian signs. Of course, those maps are a few years old now and could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sccmcc

cocker5 wrote: »
    http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html

Guys,

I'm really sorry but i have to rant here.

I am sick to death of everytime I'm crossing at the "new" pedestrian crossings (one at fenton fires / one the other end passed Berertons carpets) drivers nearly knock me down.

Even though I wait until the road is clear and step out onto the crossing and the fact that I myself am lit up like a christmas tree with visi vest etc they still try and fly over the crossing at crazy speeds.

Can drivers PLEASE learn the rules of the road!!! :(
    Ive attached it above just in case.

Drivers must stop to let you cross. As they approach the crossing, they should slow and be prepared to stop. They must stop behind the stop line if there is one and must not enter any part of the crossing.

Well thank goodness you've posted a thread about it on boards, I'm sure that will teach all the drivers how to use the road properly, problem solved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

sccmcc wrote: »
    Well thank goodness you've posted a thread about it on boards, I'm sure that will teach all the drivers how to use the road properly, problem solved!

Well the fact that they are driving a car suggests to me that they have already done their test or at least had lessons and should know some of the basic rules of the road…. Which this is one of them.

On the other hand…

I could just stand in the middle of the crossing, stopping all cars and handing out flyers about the basic road rules….

As I have nothing better to do than educate the drivers in the area.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

As both a driver and a pedestrian, I understand where the OP is coming from. I have to say, while driving around the town, the eye is not drawn to people waiting on the footpath to cross. e.g. at Fenton fires, on both sides of the zebra-crossing there are T-junctions, and your eye is drawn to what's happening at these T-junctions in relation to other vehicles. This coupled with guardings and poles/tree partially obscuring the view of pedestrians at the crossing. So in essence, more observation is required (and off course reduced speed :o).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

In Kilcoole there is a pedestrian crossing outside the centra, its unlit at night and is 5 metres from a blind corner/road merge. Accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Wicklow co co have recently agreed that the first ramp at the entrance to the estate is not a pedxing. i think the sign at it was taken down.

its too close to the roundabout exit and was a crash waiting to happen with the railing obscuring visability when exiting the roundabout from jackie skelly direction

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Wicklow co co have recently agreed that the first ramp at the entrance to the estate is not a pedxing. i think the sign at it was taken down.

This one?

https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.127687,-6.063391&spn=0.000006,0.004914&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.127683,-6.063523&panoid=tq_eRpiusYn1k-iAobglFA&cbp=12,57.8,,0,4.62

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

its too close to the roundabout exit and was a crash waiting to happen with the railing obscuring visability when exiting the roundabout from jackie skelly direction

I didn't think it was ever a pedestrian crossing? Just a ramp

I was looking for some definitions of pedestrian crossings. Are there any in Charlesland at all?

http://www.diaireland.com/articles/page/road+safety/

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

As per Mullie's Google Maps link - They're pedestrians crossings as it has the yellow sign with the man.

moto38.gif

Whether vehicles have to stop is another question...we've done this before in another thread.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

astrofluff wrote: »
    As per Mullie's Google Maps link - They're pedestrians crossings as it has the yellow sign with the man.

moto38.gif

Whether vehicles have to stop is another question...we've done this before in another thread.

Uncontrolled crossing places
    A traffic island is provided to help pedestrians. These are safer places to cross because the crossing is divided into two parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yes it appears you are correct John.
    PEDESTRIAN CROSSING

6.17.1 Sign W 140, Pedestrians, is available for use where the visibility to an uncontrolled pedestrian crossing or to a zebra crossing is impaired by a bend or hump in the road. At a zebra crossing, the sign will not be needed if both beacons at the crossing are visible from a distance of 45m on a 50km/h road, or 80m on a 60km/h road. If sight lines to the crossing are obscured by parked vehicles, the imposition of parking restrictions should be considered.

6.17.2 Sign W 140 shall not be used on the approaches to a signal controlled pedestrian crossing. Should a warning be required, Sign W 042, Traffic Signals, would be more appropriate.

VULNERABLE PEDESTRIANS

6.17.3 Where pedestrians frequently use a road without a proper footway, Sign W 140 may be provided to warn drivers of their presence. Where the length over which pedestrians are likely to be on the road is longer than about 250m, a Supplementary Plate P 002 should be used to indicate the length.

6.17.4 The sign may also be provided where vulnerable road users are likely to cross a road in appreciable numbers.

Taken from http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/12971-TSM_CHAPTER_6-6.PDF

Advertisement