Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to Galway for the weekend, things to do?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, I am heading to Galway city with the girlfriend for the weekend (next weekend), just wondering can anyone recommend a few things to do?

We are both in our mid twenties.

Would like to go drinking on Saturday night, couple of pubs then head to a nightclub or late bar.

Which would be the must see pubs and clubs and which would be considerded the ones to avoid? Staying close to Eyre square, so specifically anywhere within 10-15 mins walk.

Also looking for information on things to do or places to go and visit either city or county, as we have a car, during Saturday day or on Sunday.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About drinking, just head to Shop street and walk around. Most good pubs and clubs are on that street, or adjacent.
    Sunday, check out the market www.galwaymarket.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks Biko, will check out the market, was thinking about going for a drive around Connemara on Saturday morning, are any of the routes more appealing than the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depends on time.
    This is the route I always show people coming to visit. It's a nice drive and have beautiful scenery. Calculate at least 2 hours to get to Westport and 1.5 to get back to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Massimo's followed by Monroe's Live is another popular option on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

For your drive to Connemara I'd advise you to take the scenic route; http://goo.gl/maps/7qpBQ
    On your way to Clifden, from Galway to Spiddal you will have view of Clare & The Aran Islands. From Spiddal to Carna you have quiet good roads for the most part, you will pass the mountains and then have more seaviews from Kilkerrin to Carna. Roundstone is gorgeous little village and def advise a bite to eat there. Once you reach Clifden make sure you hit Skye Road it is fantastic! On the way home you can take the shorter route :)http://goo.gl/maps/cWzsq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

ENMcD wrote: »
    For your drive to Connemara I'd advise you to take the scenic route; http://goo.gl/maps/7qpBQ
    On your way to Clifden, from Galway to Spiddal you will have view of Clare & The Aran Islands. From Spiddal to Carna you have quiet good roads for the most part, you will pass the mountains and then have more seaviews from Kilkerrin to Carna. Roundstone is gorgeous little village and def advise a bite to eat there. Once you reach Clifden make sure you hit Skye Road it is fantastic! On the way home you can take the shorter route :)http://goo.gl/maps/cWzsq

Agree with this 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks guys, the scenery looks beautiful on those routes, will be checking them out for sure.

Does everyone agree with the pubs mentioned?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Username99 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, the scenery looks beautiful on those routes, will be checking them out for sure.

Thanks again
    Massimo yes, Monroes no. The Roisin, Salt House, Bierhaus, Neachtains, Dew Drop etc etc would be my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Username99 wrote: »

Thanks again

I am bang in your age group so let me list a few that come to mind.

King's Head, Quays, The Dáil, Busker Brownes, The Front Door, The Dew Drop Inn and Kelly's. All within 2 mins of each other

Advertisement