Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blisters While Walking

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Howdy guys, my girlfriend has a problem with her foot. We're infrequent walkers, but when we do go out my girlfriend's heel starts to blister on the first decent uphill stretch. They are decent boots and she wears a decent walking sock, the problem is confined to one foot only, the other is perfectly comfortable. An extra sock and compeed have been applied to no avail. Does anybody have a solution? Or is it a case of replacing the boots altogether?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Howdy guys, my girlfriend has a problem with her foot. We're infrequent walkers, but when we do go out my girlfriend's heel starts to blister on the first decent uphill stretch. They are decent boots and she wears a decent walking sock, the problem is confined to one foot only, the other is perfectly comfortable. An extra sock and compeed have been applied to no avail. Does anybody have a solution? Or is it a case of replacing the boots altogether?

Are her current socks cotton?

In my experience, wearing 2 pairs of Bridgedale woolen hiking socks stop blisters forming. I wear 2 pairs of these;

http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trekker-woolfusion-4

They're available from most outdoor shops, and Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're getting blisters on a heel, that's usually due to what is known as 'heel lift', i.e. as you're walking uphill, you're applying pressure on the font of your foot, causing the heel to lift up at the back, and rub against the back of the boot.

Sometimes this can be alleviated by wearing two pairs of socks, a thin liner sock against the skin, and a thicker outer pair, but it can also be down to a boot that is too 'voluminous', i.e. it's fine length wise, but is just too roomy for her foot. it's also worth pointing out that many people have 'odd' feet, so one could well be smaller than the other.

She could consider getting a so-called 'volume reducer', this is a hard, non-compressible insole that goes in the boot underneath the existing insole. Either that, or look at getting some custom insoles made to suit each foot individually. They're not cheap, but you can get them made in many outdoor shops like the Great Outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

The Dagda wrote: »

Are her current socks cotton?

In my experience, wearing 2 pairs of Bridgedale woolen hiking socks stop blisters forming. I wear 2 pairs of these;

http://www.bridgedale.com/men-s-trekker-woolfusion-4

They're available from most outdoor shops, and Amazon.

Cheers for the reply, she wears merino socks, mid weight with a running sock underneath

Alun wrote: »
    If you're getting blisters on a heel, that's usually due to what is known as 'heel lift', i.e. as you're walking uphill, you're applying pressure on the font of your foot, causing the heel to lift up at the back, and rub against the back of the boot.

Sometimes this can be alleviated by wearing two pairs of socks, a thin liner sock against the skin, and a thicker outer pair, but it can also be down to a boot that is too 'voluminous', i.e. it's fine length wise, but is just too roomy for her foot. it's also worth pointing out that many people have 'odd' feet, so one could well be smaller than the other.

She could consider getting a so-called 'volume reducer', this is a hard, non-compressible insole that goes in the boot underneath the existing insole. Either that, or look at getting some custom insoles made to suit each foot individually. They're not cheap, but you can get them made in many outdoor shops like the Great Outdoors.

Many thanks again, will investigate the insole angle:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Cheers for the reply, she wears merino socks, mid weight with a running sock underneath

Running socks are most likely cotton, and by wearing them under the merino socks you're not getting any benefit. I used to get blisters, and tried everything to fix them (Compeed, rubs, tape, etc) for some reason I didn't want to try the obvious and wear 2 pairs of socks, but as soon as I started wearing the 2 pairs, the blisters disappeared.

I couldn't recommend the Bridgedale socks highly enough, they're a quality product. Before you go to the expense of insoles (which may not fix the problem) I'd urge you to try the extra sock, even just try both her current merino socks on the foot that blisters.

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »

Running socks are most likely cotton, and by wearing them under the merino socks you're not getting any benefit. I used to get blisters, and tried everything to fix them (Compeed, rubs, tape, etc) for some reason I didn't want to try the obvious and wear 2 pairs of socks, but as soon as I started wearing the 2 pairs, the blisters disappeared.

I couldn't recommend the Bridgedale socks highly enough, they're a quality product. Before you go to the expense of insoles (which may not fix the problem) I'd urge you to try the extra sock, even just try both her current merino socks on the foot that blisters.

Cheers again for the info. The running sock is a nylon/Lycra material, breatheable and quick drying, definitely not cotton.

The hiking socks she wears are all bridgedale or teko, all proper outdoor wear. I must get her to try double up with that foot to see if it helps. As far as I know they are mid weight walking socks too, so maybe doubling will do the trick :)

To reduce movement in the heel area, tie a surgeons knot before lacing up the ankle area in boots, it's shown here and I find it very effective in reducing the heel rubbing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

+1 with the layering of socks. I am a fan of super thin dress socks as a first layer with thick hiking socks as a second layer.
    Plus, you can use benzoin tincture (friar's balsam) to glue that first layer of sock onto your foot.

Here is a treatment for blisters after the fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVi1vTAQohY

Many thanks there lads, will investigate each of these potential solutions, im sure one of them has to work:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

In the mean time.........

Electrical tape, wrap some around an old credit card, easy to carry, weighs nothing. When she starts to feel that rub, boot and sock off, dry foot, apply tape, keep walking :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement