Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking gear advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

It will probably be a bit too hot for you. I find its better to have layers so that you can still wear your outer waterproof and not get too sweaty.

If you are going to use the jacket for non-hiking activities as well then the ski jacket might be a compromise for all the things you are doing. But i suspect you'll find it too warm if you are walking quickly.

I wear my skiing jacket on night hikes, or on hikes with people that I know will be walking really slowly. If i know that i will be getting a good workout during the walk, then I would use a lighter jacket.

Those boots should be fine for starting out. IF you are going over very loose terrain, you may prefer a boot with more ankle support, but for the beginning they should be ok. No need to splash out unless you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, the jacket will probably be too warm on all but the coldest days, and the boots look fine to me.

Having said that, different people feel the cold more than others. In our group out on Saturday, we had everything from just a long sleeved base layer (brrrrrrrr!!) to multiple fleeces and full winter waterproofs, so who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Any recommendations for a more lightweight jacket? I'd hope to spend no more than €80-€100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Any recommendations for a more lightweight jacket? I'd hope to spend no more than €80-€100.

You definitely don't need to spend hundreds for decent gear. I use a Keela stashaway jacket that I picked up for about €25-30 as my wet weather outer. Not breathable but I just wear it with a base layer when I'm on the move. A lot of people swear by Goretex, but I just sweat like a waterfall wearing it during any significant exertion wearing it.

If I was you, I'd go for a hike or two with the club before buying any gear. You'll get a feel for what you'd want on the hills. The jacket you have would certainly do you for a hike, even if you're a bit warm when you're doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd definitely wear what you have now and see how it goes. Hikers spend forever tinkering with their gear loads, and buying bits and pieces. Once you've been out a few times you'll have a better idea what works and what doesn't. Being too warm in February is better than being cold.

The boots are probably the biggest concern to me - I'm not sure how sturdy they are or how good a grip they have. Again, wear them and you'll find out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement