Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane / Southside Festivals 2013

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Myself and a few mates are going to head to Germany for one of these festivals. Really good line ups and the tickets are relatively cheap (€150) compared to Ireland.

What are peoples opinions on these festivals? Which is the easier to get to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Hello! Decided for sure we will be heading to Southside this year, will be buying tickets this week. The lineup is one of the best I've ever seen so really looking forward to it. Hopefully will be making a week out of it and enjoying some scenery as that part of Germany is supposed to be beautiful.

Can't help you as regards reaching either festival, Bremen is the closest city to Hurricane and Freiburg to Southside I think. The train cost is included in the price of the ticket.

If anyone does decide to go to Southside let me know, there will be three of us travelling but it would be nice to get a bigger gang together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sroche88

hi. ya we've decided to go to Southside, bought tickets last weekend. theres 3 of us heading over. flying from dublin to munich. staying the monday night then in munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That lineup is class, the additions of Steven Wilson and Karnivool made it somehow better, really wish I could go.

Excellent, sure we'll book our tickets and I'll post back here closer to the time. Excited :D:D:D!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JoRocket

Hi I'm German myself and been to Hurrican a few times. It's a great festival and you meet great people there.

Enjoy!! :D

• Advertisement

Southside booked yesterday, so excited!! How is everyone planning to get to the festivals? Which is the closest airport to each venue?
    Aswell, I have seen on the website that there is a company that it is possible to rent an already erected tent from, might be worth it for those who would like to travel light. We might do it just because we're lazy :D

we were gonna fly from dublin to munich but now we've decided to drive instead and make a bit of a road trip out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Okay I just want to warn you
    .Germany is huge compared to Ireland and unleaded is expensive.You are talking about a lot of money here.
    I am originally from Germany so I know what I am talking about.Also the train is rather expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Wish I was going, great line up.

i can't imagine petrol in germany being more expensive than in ireland anyway. did a bit of research already and there isnt much difference in the cost of driving compared to flying really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Well you are talking around 270Euros each way (prob more because I wouldn't say you will be driving 120km/h constantly, espescally since some of the sections have no speed limits) , that is not included the ferry you might have to take.

Of course its up to you but if it was me I would consider flying over there.You pick up tents an sleeping bags rather cheap and it wont hurt to just leave 'em there.

Anyway, have a unforgettable time over there and enjoy all the crazy beer you can buy over there :D

Well thanks Susanne you've just after stomped on my dream of driving to southside. sound for that

sroche88 wrote: »
    Well thanks Susanne you've just after stomped on my dream of driving to southside. sound for that

Have a look at the map, from experience the ferries from Ireland to France are pricey unless there's 4 or 5 people in the car, and there's also cabins/ seating to think about as it's an overnight trip. If you go to Cherbourg it's a 10 hour drive and if you go to Roscoff it's 11 hours. It wouldn't really be practical/ pleasant to do that before and after a festival unless you're going for a week or two. We'll be driving for 6 hours each way but are going on a 10 day trip altogether so we can see some of the German countryside a visit some friends. Tbh I was even looking at the hotels near the festival becuse I'm becoming a bit of a wuss in my old age :o

Just to let you know aswell, Stuttgard is closer to the festival than Munich so it's worth checking out flights to there. I know my husband uses car sharing websites in Germany, maybe you could check to see if anyone will be driving from one of the airports to close to the festival? I would take advantage of the trains though, they're fast and punctual and you don't have to pay because of the festival ticket.

To anyone who's been before, what are the food and drink prices like there? We're in discussions at the moment whether to just bring the easy to assemble, tiny tents or the huge, needs a new pole and a good scrub before use tent? If the costs are reasonable it would be a waste of time sorting the large tent out so we can bring cooler box and barbecue etc but if it's pricey we'll do it so we can scrimp a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

Im heading to Southside.

My plan is to fly Ryanair from Dublin to Memmingen. From there, a train to Ulm for a connection to Tuttlingen.
    Outside Tuttlingen train station is a shuttle bus to the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ciaranf92 wrote: »
    Im heading to Southside.

My plan is to fly Ryanair from Dublin to Memmingen. From there, a train to Ulm for a connection to Tuttlingen.
    Outside Tuttlingen train station is a shuttle bus to the festival.
    The train ticket is included in the festival ticket so your only travel cost aside from the flight is a taxi the couple of km from memmingen airport to the station. There's a local bus but it doesn't run very often and is no cheaper than a taxi among a few folks.

Have a look at the map, from experience the ferries from Ireland to France are pricey unless there's 4 or 5 people in the car, and there's also cabins/ seating to think about as it's an overnight trip. If you go to Cherbourg it's a 10 hour drive and if you go to Roscoff it's 11 hours. It wouldn't really be practical/ pleasant to do that before and after a festival unless you're going for a week or two. We'll be driving for 6 hours each way but are going on a 10 day trip altogether so we can see some of the German countryside a visit some friends. Tbh I was even looking at the hotels near the festival becuse I'm becoming a bit of a wuss in my old age :o

I priced about a month ago that to drive to Southside would cost including the price of ferry around €880 per car, which for a 4 man car is €220 each, which isn't much more than the cost of flying and you'll have better craic driving also.

sroche88 wrote: »
    I priced about a month ago that to drive to Southside would cost including the price of ferry around €880 per car, which for a 4 man car is €220 each, which isn't much more than the cost of flying and you'll have better craic driving also.

Ok, just letting you know. Look up the different road rules for France and Germany before you go aswell, for example you need to have 2 breathalysers, a full first aid kit, reflective triangle and god knows what else at all times, and rules are strictly enforced. You'll be ripped off on the ferry so get them beforehand. Travel insurance probably isn't a bad idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Went to Southside in 2008, and enjoyed it immensely. Weather was absolutely scorching (no mud!), lineup was immense, and maggotty behaviour by the punters was pretty much at a minimum, all of which compares highly favourably to what I've heard of the major festivals In These Islands (no names, no packdrill).

Transport shouldn't be much of a problem: German trains are pretty damn great. We went from Munich, since it was the sanest option from flying from Cork. Made a pitstop on the way back in Stuttgart, where we could start to rejoin civilisation, and still make our flight the following day. The only issues might be how busy the local trains are on the final leg to Tuttlingen -- we literally couldn't squeeze onto the first one that came along, there were so many other festgoers stuffed into it, but there was another one along after -- and that the site is a fair distance away from the town, so you're constrained by the shuttle busses, and there was a backlog for those at peak times.

Didn't know there were flights from Ireland to Menningen. Will have to let an Ultravox fan I know this could be her easiest commute to see them on tour. :)

Received our tickets in the post last week, just trying to plan a route now. Anyone else driving down from Netherlands/ Belgium/ Germany?

denhaagenite, aren't you a lot closer to Hurricane? Hoping for nicer weather at Southside? :) Not going this year, sadly, and as far as travel goes, can only speak to the process of getting on a train at Flughafen München... (Which I highly recommend!)

• Advertisement

Not alot really, only an hour of a difference and we'd have less of a reason to go south ordinarily. We're making a holiday of it as we've heard the drive down is spectacular. If we were afraid of the travel we'd go to Lowlands or Werchter :). The original plan was Benicassim!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kuu

How is everyone getting from Munich to the festival? Seems pretty expensive any way we've looked up.
    Also is anyone staying in Munich the night before. If so where are the best pubs/clubs to head out.
    If anyone heading over wants to meet up for a night out in Munich give us a shout. You better be up for the banter if you do though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Kuu wrote: »
    How is everyone getting from Munich to the festival? Seems pretty expensive any way we've looked up. <snip>!
    no it isnt
    theres free rail transport included in the festival ticket.
    http://www.southside.de/de/infos/anfahrt-mit-der-bahn/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Was at the Hurricane festival back in 2009. Great festival, terrific people, party tent throughout the night when you are not ready to go back to camp, and everyone was well behaved. Couldn't happen over here. What was real handy too was the small village which was 30 min walk away so you can buy more booze or have a great sitdown meal and not get ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kuu

no it isnt
    http://www.southside.de/de/infos/anfahrt-mit-der-bahn/[/QUOTE]

I can't read it, ill have to brush up on my German.
    Does that train ticket you received with the festival ticket give you transport from Munich to the festival? Seems too good to be true.....

Kuu wrote: »
    no it isnt
    http://www.southside.de/de/infos/anfahrt-mit-der-bahn/

I can't read it, ill have to brush up on my German.
    Does that train ticket you received with the festival ticket give you transport from Munich to the festival? Seems too good to be true.....

Mine too, and we seem to have just crashed the website. :) But using the google cache and google translate (I should be on google commission!), it says:

"For the Southside Festival there in 2013 - in the spirit of "green rocks" - a large-scale cooperation with Deutsche Bahn, which allows visitors from all over Germany, with its Southside tickets on all local trains of DB Regio AG (RB, RE and IRE ) to the festival go back and forth again to."

So, you can't use the ICE trains, or the EC ones, which would be the quickest and comfiest way to get from Munich, but the RE trains would seem to be grand. On the www.db.de site, when you're planning your journey, it offers three radio buttons with "All" "All without ICE" and "only local transport": if you select the third, it should give you a timetable using just RE trains.

It also mentions luggage restrictions and something called "Southside-Express", which sounds it's some sort of extra capacity train (but there's no link or timetable that I can see).

On the off chance that anyone has a camper pass that they're not using I thought I'd post. Anyone interested in selling please pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deedan

Hey, there are a few of us going to Southside out of Cork this year. Does anyone know if you need to book the regional trains or do you just hop on them and show your ticket/wristband. I presume it'll be pretty hectic trying to get on a train Monday morning, I need to be on a train to Ulm by 10am to make my flight home. Guessing I'd want to be out of the campsite by 8am in case the shuttle buses are jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Deedan wrote: »
    Hey, there are a few of us going to Southside out of Cork this year. Does anyone know if you need to book the regional trains or do you just hop on them and show your ticket/wristband. I presume it'll be pretty hectic trying to get on a train Monday morning, I need to be on a train to Ulm by 10am to make my flight home. Guessing I'd want to be out of the campsite by 8am in case the shuttle buses are jammed.

You can take any Intercity train.
    Basically anything except this thing
    European-Trains-11.jpg

No need to book as these trains have no reserved seating, just hop on :)

You show your Southside ticket to the conductor if required.

Have fun!

• Advertisement

You can take any Intercity train.
    Basically anything except this thing

I don't think you can use them on the IC trains either, which is the next step down, the "standard" intercity service, or on EC ones (similar, but runs on international routes). They're valid on RE (regional express), RB (regional bogstandard :D -- stops everywhere, gets there... eventually), and IRE ("inter-regional express", I think these are longer routes and faster than the Rs, but slower than the ICs -- never seen one of these in person, though, so not certain) services. Yes, Germany has lots of different types of trains!

Advertisement