Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An acceptable reply?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I would like some feedback about the following conversation:

Mod: You're just being a dick here. You've been a registered member for 7 years, you'd think that you'd have some cop on.

Me: Don't talk to me like a child, and please take your own rules on board about attacking the post not the poster!

Mod: Don't act like one and you won't be spoken to like one. Although i didn't expect you to be so precious. I could have said a lot worse to you. Suck it up and take your ban like an adult and try posting like one when you come back.

Is than an acceptable reply by a mod when I ask not to be called a dick and treated like a child? I feel it's overly aggressive and purposely antagonistic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I assume you're asking about the response to this post by you?
    'Been' does not equal 'being' And it's their life, not there life. Ffs when did schools stop teaching properly. This country is getting illiterate as f*cking record speed!

To put things in context, (and I don't think that you're disputing that) it falls foul of the AH charter: specifically the "Don't be a dick" and the Grammar Nazi clauses.

The "don't be a dick" thing is even enshrined in the site guidelines. You've been around quite a while, so we would hope you would know a cardinal rule like that. The Mod sent you a message, you then got shirty in reply, and the Mod stated that had you not behaved in such a manner, you wouldn't have been treated in such a manner.

Was the engagement robust? Yes. Overly agressive..well, I guess that depends on your POV, but you generally get out what you put into these things.

I would observe though that if you act badly in a forum who's number 1 rules is "don't be a dick", I'd find it hard to imagine that being called a dick is all that awful. With 7000+ posts in AH alone, I doubt a bit of verbal roughhousing (and calling it that is a huge stretch) could really be that troubling, so being called "precious" when you reacted the way you did isn't OTT.

All in all, I don't see an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Got shirty in reply? My issue was not with the ban. I take on board that my reply was aggressive but then again it was a half arsed attempt at creating a thread with a loaded question to get a rise.

My issue is with the response I got. I asked that the mod take their own rule on board about attacking the post and not the poster (which is a cardinal rule itself) only to be told to suck it up and that they could have said a lot worse if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, shirty is exactly (putting it mildly) how I'd put it.

Either way, I don't see the issue. You did wrong. You got rebuked. You got shirty/precious/however else you frame it. You got a frank and robust reply that contained 0% sugar. You've had it reviewed by an Admin. You've been given a view on it.

Case closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement