Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Tester Jobs

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some help regarding software testing jobs. I am currently learning C# with a view to becoming a developer. I have no previous programming knowledge but I am an engineer (manufacturing) and worked as a systems tech for 10 years mainly using PLC's etc and have good troubleshooting skills.

I'm thinking of taking the ISTQB-BCS foundation course in software testing and I'm wondering if this is usually enough to at least get a junior role as a tester to gain experience in the industry.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why not do a development course?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

srsly78 wrote: »
    Why not do a development course?

I was thinking to do one but still a lot of the jobs advertised require a bit of commercial experience up to 18 months in some cases. The software testing jobs I've seen will usually not require much experience on the job if any.

Do you know of a decent development course?
    Cheers

Loads of development courses around, from FAS and from Unis etc.

Just know that most people that get into testing stay in testing.

It's a bit confusing tho because testing can mean lots of different stuff:
    Writing Unit tests (this is what developers do)
    Working in QA (this is what a software tester is)

I know there is a risk of getting stuck in a testing job for too long but I think to get in now and start earning whilst still learning C# is better than not earning.

Testing might give a good grounding and understanding of development also?

It might, however it may also put you off it for life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

A thousand times this, working in QA will make you want to ****ing slit your wrists.

I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It depends what sort of testing role it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Writing unit tests and automated test scripts is very close to programming. Doing manual QA definitely isn't.

Hmmm...It would be interesting to know what the career path has been of most of the developers on here. Have most of you gone down the academic route and straight into the role or has anyone done it in a more indirect way?

If you count dropping out of college then yes.

If you want to be a developer then start writing code, it really is as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have, I started in testing many many moons ago, but I didn't go from testing to development, and not in the same company. I did a load of roles in-between and I really was only able to make the jump because at one point I was in a rapidly growing company that had lots of opportunities. However these days its very different. I wouldn't advise it tbh.

A better route would be to stick with development qualifications, certification, do some of your own projects, open source etc. Keep your head in the development mind space. Don't get distracted with anything else.

Companies like to pigeon hole people, if they see you as a tester, they find it hard to see you as a developer. Also you'll get caught up in the day job and it will distract you from what you want to do. It may end up sapping your focus to get to development.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I started in testing when I finished my masters in 2010 - worked for almost 2 years in financial software QA before getting a development job 7 months ago. I was offered a development job at the same time as being offered the QA job, but rejected it on the basis of the location, poor salary and some really nasty clauses in the contract of employment (having to pay back a very substantial "cost of training" if I left in the first 2 years). I got a bit more comfortable in the QA job than I should have - I probably should have left after a year or else kept looking for a development job at the time.

I'm currently putting about 3/4 hours study per day into C# so I guess I'll keep plodding along and them attempt a project and build up the cv. I like it so that's a good start.

There is an Asp.net book on the shelf waiting for me when I'm ready too!

When you say "study" I hope you mean writing code, otherwise it's pretty worthless.

You also need to look at jobs and see what they are looking for. Then try to tick as many of those boxes with your projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You can get pigeon holed alright. I work in testing in the Insurance sector and while its not glamorous it pays the bills, thankfully I am test lead so I don't do much formal manual testing. You can move to different roles if you join a progressive company however you need to be committed, currently one of my team members is trying it out.

When you say "study" I hope you mean writing code, otherwise it's pretty worthless.

Study - write some code - study some more - write some more code....I'm using the Head First C# book and some online tutorials.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    You can get pigeon holed alright. I work in testing in the Insurance sector and while its not glamorous it pays the bills, thankfully I am test lead so I don't do much formal manual testing. You can move to different roles if you join a progressive company however you need to be committed, currently one of my team members is trying it out.

In your opinion is a foundation cert enough to get your foot in the door in a tester role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If you have a history of achievement be in your previous field be it professionally or academic I don't see why not, a lot of testers don't do Computer science in college. Try to stay away from localisation testing, that isn't great financially or for career path unless you want to go down the localisation development.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    If you have a history of achievement be in your previous field be it professionally or academic I don't see why not, a lot of testers don't do Computer science in college. Try to stay away from localisation testing, that isn't great financially or for career path unless you want to go down the localisation development.

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Perry12 wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for some help regarding software testing jobs. I am currently learning C# with a view to becoming a developer. I have no previous programming knowledge but I am an engineer (manufacturing) and worked as a systems tech for 10 years mainly using PLC's etc and have good troubleshooting skills.

I'm thinking of taking the ISTQB-BCS foundation course in software testing and I'm wondering if this is usually enough to at least get a junior role as a tester to gain experience in the industry.

Any help appreciated.

How is the study getting on, OP?

It will be VERY hard to get into development, from home study alone. You NEED a third level qualification specific to SOFTWARE in order be taken seriously in a development role.

Even a FAS cert wont be good enough for a long-term plan. I was told by by manager, my engineering degree was too "hardware" based and I need to basically get a software degree i.e computer science. It would hinder my salary year on year.

I don't know how other managers feel about it, but it scared the crap out of me.

jme2010 wrote: »
    It will be VERY hard to get into development, from home study alone. You NEED a third level qualification specific to SOFTWARE in order be taken seriously in a development role.

No you don't. There are loads of developers without a software specific degree. Science degrees, maths degrees, physics degrees. I even worked with one developer that had a phd in history.

I got into development myself with no degree at all.

How is the study getting on, OP?

Even a FAS cert wont be good enough for a long-term plan. I was told by by manager, my engineering degree was too "hardware" based and I need to basically get a software degree i.e computer science. It would hinder my salary year on year.

I don't know how other managers feel about it, but it scared the crap out of me.

Except I'm a senior developer with no 3rd level qualification..... so thats bollocks.

I think you'll find there a lot of experienced people in IT and development without 3rd level software degrees.

However its seems to be a growing requirement of Agencies and HR depts to look for 3rd level degrees in computer science, which might explain part of the reason why they keep complaining they can't find experienced people.

It might be a longer road to get in without a degree. But I think thats like giving someone road directions, "well I wouldn't start from here".

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I was told by by manager, my engineering degree was too "hardware" based and I need to basically get a software degree i.e computer science. It would hinder my salary year on year.

Not my experience either. I've worked with developers who were Civil Engineers, Geologists, Physics graduates, ex-Journalists even plus folks with no degree at all - generally what counts is your experience with writing code and (sorry to say) having a track record of being able to hold down decent jobs/contracts in the past.

I've never felt so happy to be slated by responses. :D

Thanks ChRoMe. You've put my mind at ease.

I was in a bad mood making that post after my meeting with my manager, and he basically said "You need to get x certified and have y qualification and z experience to move up the ladder here."

Sorry if I offended any fellow software guys/gals. :o

I've never felt so happy to be slated by responses. :D

Thanks ChRoMe. You've put my mind at ease.

I was in a bad mood making that post after my meeting with my manager, and he basically said "You need to get x certified and have y qualification and z experience to move up the ladder here."

Sorry if I offended any fellow software guys/gals. :o

I did however have a decade of general IT experience (still no qualifications) before I became a senior developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A minor detail barely worth mentioning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ISTQB certification will be a beneficial differentiator between you and an equally unexperienced candidate loooking for a start in the software industry.
    Testing can be a very interesting and challanging area to work in. It can also be very technical, rewarding and well paid.
    Testing can also be a manual, brainless, thankless, low paid, unintelligent script monkey activity carried out by people who have limited technical skils and limited ability to migrate into other technical roles.
    I think it all depends on where you are commng from, where you want to go and what company you are in.

Personally, if I was in your position I would....

a.) Consider doing the ISTQB certification on the cheap (buy this book - Foundations of Software Testing: ISTQB Certification (ISBN-10: 1844809897), study it in parallel with the sylibus (from here http://www.istqb.org/downloads/viewdownload/16/15.html) and then go and sit the exam (can do in prometric centres in Dublin, Athlone, Cork, Limerick etc cost 155)

b.) Download and play with tools such as junit, jmeter, selenium etc and get familiar with them.

c.) get interview for test job (not sure how to do that :-) ) and do not tell the hiring manager that you are interested in a testing job as a way to get into other development jobs (this pisses off test managers), but do tell him/her that you have limited experience in the software industry, but you realise that quality is hugely important, and that testing is a very important part of software development, regardless of who does it, or what part of the SDLC if is done in. Tell him that you do not konw what you want to do in 2 years, or whatever, but you are confident that a job as a tester will give you a great option to get a well grounded appriciation of testing and quality matters and that you hope that would stand to you at any poin in your career. Also do stress,if approriate, that you are primarily interested in utilising your technicla background and would relish opoptunities in more technical, white box and automated testing types.

• Advertisement

do not tell the hiring manager that you are interested in a testing job as a way to get into other development jobs (this pisses off test managers)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D One of the first things I said in the interview....oops lol. But to be fair I am working for free (JobBridge) So I can be selfish in my quest to become a developer.

Advertisement