Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lego Death Star is born

• 18-02-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

On sale in Hamleys in Dundrum for €361

Yeah you heard me right €361, I actually rang them to verify, my wife saw it in Friday. I've never seen it on sale in a shop in Ireland before.
    Now usually I wouldn't buy Lego there, I've seen some sets €25 dearer there than in Smyths, but for that price I couldn't pass it.
    It's still €430 on the Lego website and that's before you add in post.

Made a start on it yesterday, all 3803 pieces into two big boxes.
    I've made a load of the big technics sets but this is massive.
    The manual alone is 261 pages long and comes wire bound.

My son Jamie helped by putting all the figures together, and I got as far as page 50.
    The hardest part is finding the piece you need among that many but I'm not into doing it bag by bag.
    I'll post some pics when I get a chance

R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

On sale in Hamleys in Dundrum for €361

Yeah you heard me right €361, I actually rang them to verify, my wife saw it in Friday. I've never seen it on sale in a shop in Ireland before.
    Now usually I wouldn't buy Lego there, I've seen some sets €25 dearer there than in Smyths, but for that price I couldn't pass it.
    It's still €430 on the Lego website and that's before you add in post.

Made a start on it yesterday, all 3803 pieces into two big boxes.
    I've made a load of the big technics sets but this is massive.
    The manual alone is 261 pages long and comes wire bound.

My son Jamie helped by putting all the figures together, and I got as far as page 50.
    The hardest part is finding the piece you need among that many but I'm not into doing it bag by bag.
    I'll post some pics when I get a chance

R
    916245d1356617911-dive-watches-how-do-you-wear-yours-useless_thread_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It is a behemoth, enjoy :) When I finished mine I totted up the hours it took to build, I think I calculated 21 hours over a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

That's a decent price for Hamelys, they are usually 20% higher than Smyths/Lego.com, they had two Super Star Destroyers in store before Christmas but were looking for €500+ for them, I can't remember the exact number but it started with a 5.

I'm keeping an eye out for this but my max budget is 300 for it, I can't justify spending more.

On a related topic the 7965 Millennium Falcon is £100 on amazon.co.uk which is a pretty good price, it's 150 in Smyths.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

916245d1356617911-dive-watches-how-do-you-wear-yours-useless_thread_1.jpg

I'll post some pics when I get a chance :)
    Don't worry they're on the way

R

It is a behemoth, enjoy :) When I finished mine I totted up the hours it took to build, I think I calculated 21 hours over a week or so.

Did you work through the bags or just lump them all in together?
    I always lump them all in regardless of the set, but with that many pieces finding the one you need is real needle haystack territory :)

• Advertisement

That's a decent price for Hamelys, they are usually 20% higher than Smyths/Lego.com, they had two Super Star Destroyers in store before Christmas but were looking for €500+ for them, I can't remember the exact number but it started with a 5.

I'm keeping an eye out for this but my max budget is 300 for it, I can't justify spending more.

On a related topic the 7965 Millennium Falcon is £100 on amazon.co.uk which is a pretty good price, it's 150 in Smyths.

Jaysus 500eu... I am not an SW fan, but i have to admit, Death Star looks awesome. Plus it is more then a dust magnet like UCS models. It has lots of minifigs. Lots of scenes and rooms. I bet any child that would get that set would be very happy. I bet any AFOL too. :p

do you think it would be one of the sets to be quite valuable in the future?

no idea if it will gain in value but bought it to join the collection and play with rather than sell on.
    One to pass down methinks

Did you work through the bags or just lump them all in together?
    I always lump them all in regardless of the set, but with that many pieces finding the one you need is real needle haystack territory :)

In general I prefer to lump them all in, like yourself. But I just had to make an exception for this. I don't have a lot of building space at home, so I had to set up/tidy up a space every time I wanted to do a session. If I'd had the room to just leave thousands of pieces lying around for a week or two on end, I'd have been very tempted.
    Jaysus 500eu... I am not an SW fan, but i have to admit, Death Star looks awesome. Plus it is more then a dust magnet like UCS models. It has lots of minifigs. Lots of scenes and rooms. I bet any child that would get that set would be very happy. I bet any AFOL too. :p

do you think it would be one of the sets to be quite valuable in the future?

500 is crazy for the SSD, I think the RRP is around 400, which is only marginally less crazy admittedly. I reckon the DS will be very valuable in the future, though it is one of the longest running sets on the market at this stage, if not the longest, so there isn't going to be any supply issue. I don't care though to be honest, you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Death Star does look amazing, but it's way beyond my budget. I find Hamley's prices rather steep when it comes to their Lego selection.

Last time I was in Hamley's they had the Lego Tower Bridge on sale for around €270.

Enjoy!:D:)

We're nearly there, 17hrs in and I reckon a couple of hours should just about do it.

So far, what a build, technically not difficult (once you've managed to actually find the bloody piece amongst the other 3800) but putting the whole thing together is amazing.

All the different sections have something to offer.
    My son (6 tomorrow) loves coming down each morning for breakfast to see what dad added the night before (when everyone else has gone to bed)

Pics will be posted on completion, I've kept track of the whole build because there's no way I'm taking it apart.

If they have any left in Hamleys GO BUY IT, I got it there for €361 it's still €430 on the Lego website.
    You won't regret it, after all the other Star Wars, LOTR, Hobbit, Technics, City and the other Lego sets I've been building for 35 years I can honestly say that this is the best model yet.
    Even with a sore back and strained eyes you can't help but smile to yourself when you're done for the night.

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

I've been saving the pennies for quite a while to get this one and this thread made me go looking for the best deal yesterday. :)

You can buy it on-line on the Smyths web site for €339.99. Ordered it this morning about 9.30am and it should hopefully be delivered (for free) by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

Lowest price on Amazon has been e303, it is possible to get them for that if your lucky, you could probably sell the minifigs from it for close to 200 if you so wanted i belive.

SSD has been down to e202 on Amazon in the past, no way I would pay anything about about 250 for it myself.

There is one for sale on donedeal, Galway region. He asks for 300eu, but I am prety sure you could haggle it to a bit lower then that too.

I love big sets like this, but unfortunately SW does not make anything wiggle in my pants. :( though I can look forward to huge tower from lord of the rings set that is coming this year. Some rumours say its going to be 70cm plus. Now that's something I oils dig my teeth in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

huge tower from lord of the rings set that is coming this year.

Linky?

Pics as promised here

In years to come I'm pretty sure that this thread will be bumped and the 300-400 RRP will be seen as peanuts. It's already a classic. If anyone is on the fence about it I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Pics as promised here
    Damn you Rory, now I really want one.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

If I would want one SW set, it would be this! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow Rory, those are great pics. It looks fantastic and a great build experience. I think I'll add this to my "wish list"...

...now, if only I could afford it! I reckon the DS will be a really valuable collector's item in years to come so it may well turn out to be a great investment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement