Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming a Website

Options
  • 18-02-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I know what you're thinking....another 'name for my business' thread!! But my query is a little different. I'm in the process of setting up a website. I have 7 different names which I'd consider using. How do I decide which is the best one to go with? What are the do's and don't for naming a site? Should it be the short and snappy name? Should it be the name that clearly indicates what the site is about? Should I try to keep it under a certain amount of syllables? I hope my question isn't too vague as I'd really appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Since you are unlikely to have a split between the words in the url, keep in mind how different people might read the url...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/1288897/top-10-worst-website-names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Depends on a few branding factors which might include the likes of: locality issues, consumer market type, industry type, type and scale competition in the space, SEO, identity, competitor analysis, etc...

Without information on these matters which apply, any advice would be lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Take into consideration the availability of the chosen name with multiple extensions
    If you register mynewsite.ie and subsequently find that mynewsite.co.uk / .com / .eu are already registered it could hamper expansion in the future.

Most importantly, though I think a domain name should be memorable and not easy to misspell or confuse with another word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Register them all, redirect them all to the one that's easiest to remember/type. Can't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I've taken your points into consideration and still no closer to deciding on a name!

Cant book all the domains as there are .ie so I'd need to register business names for them all. And with the cost of the domains I couldnt afford that.

And Im worried that if I shared my potential names with people now that someone would take the domain on me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement