Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Sky are blocking websites?

• 18-02-2013 2:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have discovered Sky Broadband have blocked access to two websites (message boards) and they are not down as I have accessed them separately from a friends Eircom connection.

I won't name the websites as it would be in breach of the forum charter but they are fairly popular websites.

i have downloaded about 100GB since going live with Sky nearly three weeks ago. I am going to contact Sky and instruct them to either lift the block or I will be going back to Eircom immediately.

So far with Sky,

I am throttled every single evening between 7pm and midnight down to 2.5-3.5mb from 7mb which I receive at other times. If they are censoring the net like this I am leaving and I don't care if they are cheaper or faster they can shove their censorship where the sun don't shine.

If there are any Sky Broadband users want to check and I will PM you the sites to check.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Stinicker wrote: »
    I have discovered Sky Broadband have blocked access to two websites (message boards) and they are not down as I have accessed them separately from a friends Eircom connection.

I won't name the websites as it would be in breach of the forum charter but they are fairly popular websites.

i have downloaded about 100GB since going live with Sky nearly three weeks ago. I am going to contact Sky and instruct them to either lift the block or I will be going back to Eircom immediately.

So far with Sky,

I am throttled every single evening between 7pm and midnight down to 2.5-3.5mb from 7mb which I receive at other times. If they are censoring the net like this I am leaving and I don't care if they are cheaper or faster they can shove their censorship where the sun don't shine.

If there are any Sky Broadband users want to check and I will PM you the sites to check.

PM me the sites. I'll check when I get home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

PM Sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

and me please, and i can recall VF did the same in the evenings and eircom did before that. nga was a big help. where are you roughly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

PM me too please.........i signed up last week but didnt know of any website restrictions, think i might be about to regret it !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stinicker wrote: »

Thats not throttling, thats contention ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What are the sites? Don't think they block any sites to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

PM me the sites too and I'll check it out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'm thinking of changing to Sky and I'd be interested in knowing what sites they ate blocking. Please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

yeah me too,ta.has anyone switched from eircom to sky and if so are there any hidden charges/procedures one should know about?i read somewhere if u dont give eircom at least a months notice they ill charge you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'd like to know what the sites are also, as I was looking into Sky myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

The site im assuming you are trying to access (hugely popular message board) has been down for a few days and is not blocked by Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hi OP, could you PM me those sites as I am thinking of switching to SKY broadband.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Yes that hugely popular message board is down the last few days, but can anyone with SKY broadband definitely confirm that it was working for them previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I seriously doubt Sky would do this. Why? The first website that they will block is Pirate Bay and that is still unblocked by Sky here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Am I right in guessing that this website has a P and a W in the name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh for God's sake. Just name the bloody website. Acknowledging the existence of piracy is not the same as advocating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

yeah me too,ta.has anyone switched from eircom to sky and if so are there any hidden charges/procedures one should know about?i read somewhere if u dont give eircom at least a months notice they ill charge you?

I am wondering the same myself, will have to give them a ring (that's a painful phone conversation!) I am not sure there is much difference between the two so I am on the fence on whether to switch or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am I right in saying that the website shares it's name with a certain famous 18th century Russian dictator? It's name also has a mouth but never speaks and has a bed but never sleeps? #bollockyallusions

(you made me use a hashtag on a message board.. hope you're happy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Does the website in question have a certain tendency towards feline animals?

STOP THE LIGHTS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Meesared wrote: »
    Am I right in guessing that this website has a P and a W in the name?

Three 'w's.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Can a moderator confirm or not whether it is okay to name the websites which are blocked?

Otherwise PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

on the other hand ,piratebay aint blocked anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

on the other hand ,piratebay aint blocked anymore :)

It was never blocked by Sky over here, and they only block it in the UK due to legislation. As far as I am aware they dont black any sites over here.

If the OP wants to PM the address I`ll check it too tonight.

Either way, its hardly a big deal, or a deal breaker in whether to switch to their service.

At best it would be a very minor inconvenience.

Also shouldnt the title of the thread have a question mark on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I checked and they are not working, but I think they are just down as opposed to SKy blocking anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Perhaps the title of the thread should have been "Are Sky blocking websites" rather than statements of fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I checked and they are not working, but I think they are just down as opposed to SKy blocking anything.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Both sites are wont load for me either and I am with Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am not at home.. but wonder if it's related to DNS?

Try changing your DNS to OpenDNS..

OpenDNS.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

adox wrote: »
    It was never blocked by Sky over here, and they only block it in the UK due to legislation. As far as I am aware they dont black any sites over here.

If the OP wants to PM the address I`ll check it too tonight.

Either way, its hardly a big deal, or a deal breaker in whether to switch to their service.

At best it would be a very minor inconvenience.

Also shouldnt the title of the thread have a question mark on it?

ah i was just comparing to eircom who had it blocked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

and they load dead easy for me with VF?? I use chrome browser, is there a standard browser to be used with sky eg IE8 or can any browser be used. I bet sky have a built in parental lock and more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement