Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction of clamping in Charlesland Crescent and Wood

Options
  • 18-02-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Saw a clamped jeep on Sunday morn there on the main avenue in charlesland court. I didnt know they were clamping in charlesland. Anyone know anythin about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

There are sign posts throughout the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rosina1969

Do they do patrols then? It's just I've never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

They used to patrol, this would have been years ago, but now someone needs to phone the number on the signs.

Yeah if someone did phone up about the jeep I think it was quite mean. It was parked near enough to a corner, just tipping the double yellow lines, but it was a saturday/sunday, and I always see people parking here, so seems unfair. (I dont know the person/car or anything about it, just saw the clamp thing on the wheel early on sunday morn).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Was there a notice on the window? Perhaps owner has their own clamp for theft prevention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

It's illegal to park within 10 metres of a corner or junction? The driver can't do it on any other road and wouldn't so why should Charlesland be exempt!

By the looks it if clamping will be coming into all areas I. Charlesland to control management fees and abuse of car Parking spaces

Yeah I know it's illegal Matt - just wondering how this one jeep got caught when there are loads of cars parking like that all over charlesland! No it was definitely a 'real' clamp - walked past the big notice on the window. Anyway, watch out folks, just be careful where you park and warn friends/neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

AFAIK for Charlesland, clamping is only in operation in Charlesland Court.

WRT Matt's comment on unpaid management fees - I could see that clamping being a possibility for all of Charlesland for those with unpaid management fees. If they haven't paid their management fees, then they shouldn't have enjoyment of the common areas (which is currently subsidised by other management company members). So both occupiers and visitors to these units get clamped and the fees are indirectly collected through the release of the clamp!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Clamping for unpaid fees is a very dangerous path to go down imo.

I do agree that it is totally unfair for those that do pay are subsidising those that don’t.

If you or a family member need urgent medical assistance with no ambulance available for some time and find your car clamped, it could be the diffrence between life and death.

However clamping for silly parking I do agree with. I had to walk out on the road at the back of Charlesland Wood last Saturday night as there was number of cars where parked on the footpath, I feel for people with prams and people in wheelchairs.
    The best one I seen was a car parked over a stop sign.

If there's a medical emergency you shouldn't drive anyway, the emergency services tell people not to as in medical emergencies people tend to drive too quickly and don't have the necessary training to do so which is a danger to other road users.

Clamping definiltly coming in up at the crescent in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

DD9090 wrote: »
    Clamping for unpaid fees is a very dangerous path to go down imo.

I do agree that it is totally unfair for those that do pay are subsidising those that don’t.

If you or a family member need urgent medical assistance with no ambulance available for some time and find your car clamped, it could be the diffrence between life and death.

It's a big risk for someone to take by not paying their fees alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

To be fair you could need your car for a medical emergency whether its been clamped for poor parking or unpaid fees - the reason for the clamp doesn't change the need for the car.

I support clamping for both unpaid fees and poor/ridiculous parking

Not sure about clamping their visitors for unpaid fees - can't imagine there is any legal standing on that one.

visitors in the cresent will be able to text a number for parking regardless of management fees, but people who abuse the service will get clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Are you saying the clampers will have access to the vehicle registration database and walk around checking who owns each car and then matching that name to a home owners database? Doesn't sound very practical. Should they also go onto private driveways to clamp the cars?

nope im saying that we will have access to a database and when someone stops engaging the management company we will revoke their pass which will be paired with their reg plate.

nope im saying that we will have access to a database and when someone stops engaging the management company we will revoke their pass which will be paired with their reg plate.

Ah ok. I presume you are only talking about the crescent and not other parts of charlesland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So if "someone stops engaging the management company" will the database be used to have their vehicle clamped ?

I wonder what legal rights the management company would have to do this. I don't think it is in any contract that failure to pay fees will result in car being clamped. It would be interesting to see how this would work and the legal fees and costs the management company would have to pay if someone sued them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

That is crazy. I am glad I am getting out if that is what it's coming to.

Will there be signs put up saying "no parking without a permit"? I find a decision like that to be mind boggling and I honestly don't know how the management company got the residents committee to sign off on it (I can only assume the management company got someone to sign off).

Thread title amended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

It does sound completely dodgy and totally impractical. People move in and out. People get new cars. People have more than one car. People have visitors. Whose job is it going to be to keep that database up to date? How are you going to match the car reg to addresses in the first place?

Owners not paying fees is a major issue for the other owners. But this seems a ham fisted and probably illegal way to address it.

A profit driven private clamping company out to make as much money as possible?

Enough said, this won't end well.

Has anyone researched this? Has it worked in other areas?

2011 wrote: »

So if "someone stops engaging the management company" will the database be used to have their vehicle clamped ?
    Yes, and their residents if they're landlords

It does sound completely dodgy and totally impractical. People move in and out. People get new cars. People have more than one car. People have visitors. Whose job is it going to be to keep that database up to date? How are you going to match the car reg to addresses in the first place?

Owners not paying fees is a major issue for the other owners. But this seems a ham fisted and probably illegal way to address it.
    It actually works very well in town. I also believe seaborne are bringing it In as well, the database will be maintained by the management agents. Landlords and owners will be require to submit their regs, they've had months and months of notice and will be heavily reiterated at the Agm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Yes, and their residents if they're landlords

The resident will get clamped if the landlord refuses to pay? Ah hah hah, nice one. That'll show them.

d31b0y wrote: »

The resident will get clamped if the landlord refuses to pay? Ah hah hah, nice one. That'll show them.
    It's their responsibility and in some cases it will be the only way we can collect cash.

Realistically if they've paid, have an up to date pass and make sure if their tenants change or car changes to notify the agents then they've nothing to worry about

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

You have all been warned, full implementation begins on the 1st. of April :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

probably be cheaper to put up gates and use swipe cards. someone hasn't paid their fees, deactivate their card. (been a while since I was down in the Crescent though, dunno if that is practical...)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Landlords and owners will be require to submit their regs, they've had months and months of notice and will be heavily reiterated at the Agm

Residents that are behind on payments may be reluctant to provide their reg as this may lead to them being clamped.

I am delighted that I don't live there.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

Residents that are behind on payments may be reluctant to provide their reg as this may lead to them being clamped.

I am delighted that I don't live there.
    If they don't provide their regs they'll get clamped by default!!

@loytemu much more expensive, the gates and card system in the scrscebt would probably cost in excess Of 40k not to mention planning requirements

Advertisement