Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction of clamping in Charlesland Crescent and Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Look the idea of clamping as a last resort might look good on paper but Apoca don't get paid to patrol the estate so they make their money by clamping.

I would imagine it would not be cost efficient for Apoca to patrol this estate on a regular basis as most people have paid and have disks. Those who have not paid are not stupid enough to leave their cars out on a regular basis. So this just leaves visitors.

Now, because it is human nature, paid up residents will start to become complacent about putting up the disc when a friend pops by to drop something off or pay you a visit. Now parking companies know this and will strike on bank holidays, Sunday afternoons and the like.

So in six months time the only people who will really be clamped are visitors of paid residents and this is going to cost you 120 euro each time.

My big fear is, if this fails I dread to think what idea the Management Company will come up with next in order to collect fees. Lets not forget this is our home we are talking about here not some business venture. We are residents of Charlesland not consumers. This idea is already costing me extra money each year, how much will the next idea be costing me in the future when this one doesn't draw in enough revenue.

Thats why I think it is important to stick within the framework of the law

And Im talking from the point of view of someone who lives in a house in the woods before I hear about the services that are provided to apartments and all the wonderful improvements that will be achieved in the apartment areas with the introduction of this policy ;)
    I posted a while back what the management company in Seabourne is planning to do next to recover fees but it was taken down. I'm afraid you are wasting your time with these people!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stall The Ball 101

loyatemu wrote: »
    Maudi & Stall the Ball - what is your proposed solution to the non-payment of fees?

1 explore setting up association to represent houses and duplexes individually, this could potentially reduce fees significantly

2 Try and reduce cost of landscaping

3 interest on arrears which could be used for debt collecting

4 Percentage of savings of point 1 &2 use for debt collecting

5 A little more chasing reminders about arrears dropped more frequently

6 Hold a barbecue on the green with buckets to collect cash and have a good time as neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maudi wrote: »
    there has been a lot of thinly veiled threats

where have threats been made in this thread?

Please give examples

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So one of your solutions is that the management company should charge interest on a debt that has found impossible to collect??

Out of curiosity how does increasing the debt that an individual owes help solve issue of non payment of fees ?

2011 wrote: »
    So one of your solutions is that the management company should charge interest on a debt that has found impossible to collect??

Out of curiosity how does increasing the debt that an individual owes help solve issue of non payment of fees ?

A sheet of paper went round with what properties were behind in arrears, this has happened before in the past. Most the arrears have been in the last 3 years. Ok you have few that are hugh, the same ones I've been looking at for ten years I don't think they will ever pay.

I would imagine by looking around that the 3 year group are people here with young families who whether for right or wrong did not pay or set up a dd. This group of people are not maliciously not paying, its just no one has really looked for it and theres a hell of a lot of people demanding your money at the moment. So a gentle push with interest charged and a regular enough stream of reminders could be enough to motivate them to pay. The market for housing is beginning to lift a little so houses that are sold would have to settle arrears and any interest accrued would have to be paid on sale as well.

I think a flaw with disc parking is that a man in a van comes along and takes money away from the residents whereas interest stays in to benefit all of us

I don't know can a MC even charge interest with the MUD Act ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So are you going to propose any of your ideas at the AGM as an alternative to clamping ?

So are you going to propose any of your ideas at the AGM as an alternative to clamping ?

I'll have forgotten most of them by the time that party comes round:)

I'll have forgotten most of them by the time that party comes round:)

So is that a "yes" you are going to propose any of your ideas at the AGM as an alternative to clamping ?

If you and others don't clamping is something you will have to accept.

So is that a "yes" you are going to propose any of your ideas at the AGM as an alternative to clamping ?

If you and others don't clamping is something you will have to accept.

If your asking me whether or not Ill be attending a meeting that a date has not been set for well the answer is I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

1 explore setting up association to represent houses and duplexes individually, this could potentially reduce fees significantly

2 Try and reduce cost of landscaping

4 Percentage of savings of point 1 &2 use for debt collecting

5 A little more chasing reminders about arrears dropped more frequently

6 Hold a barbecue on the green with buckets to collect cash and have a good time as neighbours
    1-5 all tried and tested, none worked.

6 we put forward as an idea less the buckets. No one was interested.

On point 2, the landscaping in the crescent has come down by 60% in the last 5 years

On point 1. It's a good idea but again you need someone with time to dedicate.

As mango said they're moving this way in August and I suspect all the areas will be closely watching them

where have threats been made in this thread?

Please give examples
    I don't think he means directly on the thread but something to do with a newsletter sent around a while back about cracking heads?

If your asking me whether or not Ill be attending a meeting that a date has not been set for well the answer is I don't know

If you are not going to get involved there is no point in complaining.

If you are not going to get involved there is no point in complaining.

If your not going listen to my responses to your questions there is no point in you replying. If there is NO DATE I have NO CLUE if I can attend or not

If your not going listen to my responses to your questions there is no point in you replying. If there is NO DATE I have NO CLUE if I can attend or not

I have listened intently to your responses. In fact Matt has shown that all of the alternatives you have suggested have been tried and have failed miserably.

I accept your point that it is hard to commit with no date, but would suggest that you make it your business to turn up regardless of the date as you appear to feel so strongly about it.

I have listened intently to your responses. In fact Matt has shown that all of the alternatives you have suggested have been tried and have failed miserably.

I accept your point that it is hard to commit with no date, but would suggest that you make it your business to turn up regardless of the date as you appear to feel so strongly about it.

If posters have ideas I presume they can contact management company directors at any time

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't think he means directly on the thread but something to do with a newsletter sent around a while back about cracking heads?

That wouldnt be my interpretation
    Maudi wrote: »
    If you read back over the threads there .......there has been a lot of thinly veiled threats

Terry Pratchet

In fact Matt has shown that all of the alternatives you have suggested have been tried and have failed miserably.

I do not accept that. When wise was agent they charged interest on accounts and sent you reminders on a regular basis even if you were 3 months in arrears. I think with our present agent you would be lucky to hear from them once a year. Now I don't know if that's an agents or boards fault, but someone has sat on this situation for the last 3 years and let it fester.

To my knowledge the new board and agent have never charged interest so to say it doesn't work is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

so if the clamping been introduced is to bring in managment fees and it works to the point where it is no longer necessary or financailly viable for the clamping to be there will it then be removed ?????

Why dont you all call an EGM to discuss clamping?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Why dont you all call an EGM to discuss clamping?

Good idea, how could you go about that ?

I think with our present agent you would be lucky to hear from them once a year.

I accept that this is a fair point. Once a year is simply not enough.

However sending extra reminders will have a cost associated with it or will require more assistance from volunteers. But you are correct, it should help with collecting funds from those that can afford. By getting involved you may be able to help resolving this.

I do not accept that.

Well then maybe you should sit down face to face with a board member so that they can explain it to you in more detail

Terry Pratchet

Stall the ball, you want to charge people interest on something they have no intention of paying. If they won't pay the main charge they certainly won't pay the interest. This is fact, has been proven (by wise) and it doesn't work.

In the crescent we took out the interest because members didn't care, also wyse were very happy to reverse the interest upon application without discretion so the method never worked.

I might also add the majority of the estates removed WYSE for a reason. If they were anybgood at what they do they would still be here

Stall the ball, you want to charge people interest on something they have no intention of paying. If they won't pay the main charge they certainly won't pay the interest. This is fact, has been proven (by wise) and it doesn't work.

In the crescent we took out the interest because members didn't care, also wyse were very happy to reverse the interest upon application without discretion so the method never worked.

I might also add the majority of the estates removed WYSE for a reason. If they were anybgood at what they do they would still be here

At least people paid them

At least people paid them

No, no they didn't. Hence were in a situation why we are in now.

No, no they didn't. Hence were in a situation why we are in now.

Oh yes they did !!!! Look matt this getting ridiculous you obviously have no interest in why people have not paid you just want to tar everyone with the same brush and call them a sponger but unfortunately life is not as black and white as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Oh yes they did !!!!

How do you know this, ie what makes you say that the level of payments fell after the departure of Wyse?

Oh yes they did !!!! Look matt this getting ridiculous you obviously have no interest in why people have not paid you just want to tar everyone with the same brush and call them a sponger but unfortunately life is not as black and white as that
    I saw what payments were coming in, I had access to the accounts as a director so I think I'm in a position to make a statement that they weren't being paid.

I never called anyone a sponger and didn't tar anyone. I did however make a point in saying that those who CANNOT pay and those WHO CHOSE NOT TO will be treated differently.

So far in the crescent it's been a success with people who previously refused to make contact with us about fees have now come forward bar a very small few.

• Advertisement

How do you know this, ie what makes you say that the level of payments fell after the departure of Wyse?

Because they didn't need to introduce disc parking

Advertisement