Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction of clamping in Charlesland Crescent and Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

youknowwho wrote: »
    I already pay a gand a year and now another charge because I'm compliant! Surely the sinking fund that we pay into will cover these administration charges.

Do you need a permit if you park on your drive or in a designated spot? My carspaces have the property number on them and are part of the leasehold which I'll be forever be paying off.

I agree about the signage though, if its absent the Mgmt Co. might find itself creating liabilities which will cost all the members and exacerbate the money situation instead of solving it.
    No they won't, if there's new signage in place on the date the clamping comes in they're fine.

If someone parks there who isn't allowed or hasn't paid their fees or has ignored the letters and hasn't attended AGMs it's thee own responsibility.

You can't blame the management company for people's own negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

we got a letter in the door listing the house numbers those of who hadnt paid.it was cowardly and anonymous (no letterhead/business name on top)
    another thing all this talk of units .agents etc..i dont live in a unit!!its a home f.f.s...also agents to me sounds a bit gestapo...all this talk of neighbours clamping neighbours its disgusting..

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Maudi wrote: »
    we got a letter in the door listing the house numbers those of who hadnt paid.it was cowardly and anonymous (no letterhead/business name on top)
    another thing all this talk of units .agents etc..i dont live in a unit!!its a home f.f.s...also agents to me sounds a bit gestapo...all this talk of neighbours clamping neighbours its disgusting..

I agree. If any of my visitors are clamped i have an angle grinder ready to cut it off. I will happly take my chances with the consequences.

Please can anyone say. How many people were in attendance at the wood committee meeting where the clamping was voted in? How many people voted for it? I wouldnt mind guessing we could rally enough people from the estate to vote it back out again!

Jimjay wrote: »
    I agree. If any of my visitors are clamped i have an angle grinder ready to cut it off. I will happly take my chances with the consequences.

Please can anyone say. How many people were in attendance at the wood committee meeting where the clamping was voted in? How many people voted for it? I wouldnt mind guessing we could rally enough people from the estate to vote it back out again!
    You or your guest can then be prosecuted for criminal damage, and now as you've said it you can call it premeditated criminal damage.

Pay for the 30c message for your guests, don't park on double yellow lines, pay your management fees like everyone else.

@maudi it would be interesting to know who did the naming and shaming, it definitely wouldn't be a management agent as its breech if the data protection act to do so. We had a discussion about naming and shaming with our agents and agreed that we couldn't do so.

im buying a con saw too..matt -dublin as i said a letter came in the letterbox no identifing logos on it at all..but it gave the house number of who hasnt paid and by how much..so explain that who besides the mng company sent these letters??get rid of these mng comps extorting money and install a residents ass ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I can't understand why people are against this.

I don't like paying my mgmt fees, in the same way I don't like paying the property tax, my income tax, vat, vrt, excise duty etc. But I've got to.

However what I really really really don't like is paying when others feel they don't need to. I've said this before and that is, as it stands mgmt fees must be paid.

If it takes the introduction of clamping to make people pay then so be it. To not do anything about the non payers introduces a moral hazard. Which if non paying becomes prevalent would eventually mean the inability of the mgmt company to continue and where will that leave us?

So to you naysayers, what is the alternative? (and I specifically mean alternatives for getting more people to pay their mgmt fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

im buying a con saw too..matt -dublin as i said a letter came in the letterbox no identifing logos on it at all..but it gave the house number of who hasnt paid and by how much..so explain that who besides the mng company sent these letters??get rid of these mng comps extorting money and install a residents ass ..

It is residents that give the management companies their instructions... Go to an AGM and get involved or contact your management company for the residents details and offer your services?

Everyone in your estate has access to the numbers. You're all voting members of the company and this have the ability to request access to the accounts. If you don't know this information you haven't been participating.

Also, you do realise if you cut the clamp off with a con saw the management company will get a bill for it. If its your car that's clamped then realistically you will end up getting invoiced for it via your fees. If you don't register your car for a permit you will just get clamped day in and day out so are you going to make it part of your morning routine to cut your clamp off, jump into your car and then go to work???

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

FirstIn wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are against this.

)

Because those who have paid shouldn't be punished for the actions of others who haven't. A fiver a permit is way less than the management fees so people who haven't paid the fees are quids in. So, it's going to be the poor sucker who has a party, or a few friends over who ends up paying loads (or parking in Superquinn, so how long until we're going to have to pay there?) Or, as someone else said, people are going to park in places where clamping isn't in effect and mess it up for residents there.

Well I will have permits and guest permits so hopefully will never have to cut a clamp off. However if I have a number of guests round or someone drops by and we simply forget to send a txt or put a guest permit in the window and gets clamped I will cut it off. There is no way I will be paying any clamping fees for a guest visiting my own home that when I bought it had no residents permit requirements for parking. The permits serve no purpose but to collect fees so hopefully that will work and then when everyone has paid there will be no use for the permits. The permits will not reduce the amount of cars parked on the estate and anyway we have never had a problem with parking. I am not against clamping because I don't want to pay the management fees, I am against it because it is a pain in the ass people drop by unexpected or just nip in for a couple of minutes if a car gets clamped due to a mistake of a home owner who pays the management fees why the feck should they pay the extortionate fees to have it removed.

Also the law on clamping in private etstates is untested and very vague. Maybe it will get tested very soon.

• Advertisement

You all don't seem to understand, even if you've got a permit and are uncooperative with the management agents about your fees, your permit will be disabled and when the clampers see it they will clamp you. So those who haven't paid are not "quids in"

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You all don't seem to understand, even if you've got a permit and are uncooperative with the management agents about your fees, your permit will be disabled and when the clampers see it they will clamp you. So those who haven't paid are not "quids in"

If you haven't paid any management fees why would you get a permit?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

mirekb wrote: »
    Because those who have paid shouldn't be punished for the actions of others who haven't. A fiver a permit is way less than the management fees so people who haven't paid the fees are quids in. So, it's going to be the poor sucker who has a party, or a few friends over who ends up paying loads (or parking in Superquinn, so how long until we're going to have to pay there?) Or, as someone else said, people are going to park in places where clamping isn't in effect and mess it up for residents there.

Mirekb, people who haven't paid their mgmt fees won't get permits. They won't have the option to buy them.

Is it still true that when one comes to sell a property with mgmt fees o/s that they are collected from the sale? Just wondering. I know this doesn't matter much now as most of us can't afford to sell,

So if a home owner who pays their fees has a couple of guests round and for whatever reason forgets to txt for authorisation to have a visitor and that visitor gets clamped are the camper going to be understanding and remove the clamp? I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

You're right, I don't understand. There has been a marked lack of clarity in communication on this issue. I got a very abrupt letter through my door stating that clamping would commence and that we were permitted to 2 permits per house. No mention of if we had or hadn't paid fees (this is in the wood)

So if a home owner who pays their fees has a couple of guests round and for whatever reason forgets to txt for authorisation to have a visitor and that visitor gets clamped are the camper going to be understanding and remove the clamp? I doubt it very much.
    If I park in Greystones and forget to pay for a permit I may get a fine. If I get on the dart and forget to pay for my ticket I may get a fine. If I forget to put any clothes on before walking down the street I may get arrested.

Forgetting to do things is no excuse. We're grown ups and you just have to remember things. The consequences of not remembering to do things differ.( e.g Not remembering to put the wheel nuts on post changing a tyre could lead to a serious accident and potentially death). It's called life.

My advice jumjay, remember to put one of your visitor permits on your visitors' cars or do the txt message. Put it this way, you may forget once but I find coughing up to pay a fine helps with ones powers of recall next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Private clamping company? They will charge you to take it off and you will have to appeal for your money back....... and there are two chances of that happening. Slim to none and slim just flew out of Dublin Airport.

Lidl and Aldi have cheap angle grinders that will be a lot cheaper than losing whatever extortionate price will be charged by the clampers.

If I park in Greystones and forget to pay for a permit I may get a fine. If I get on the dart and forget to pay for my ticket I may get a fine. If I forget to put any clothes on before walking down the street I may get arrested.

Forgetting to do things is no excuse. We're grown ups and you just have to remember things. The consequences of not remembering to do things differ.( e.g Not remembering to put the wheel nuts on post changing a tyre could lead to a serious accident and potentially death). It's called life.

My advice jumjay, remember to put one of your visitor permits on your visitors' cars or do the txt message. Put it this way, you may forget once but I find coughing up to pay a fine helps with ones powers of recall next time!

Sorry that is completely irrelavant argument. We are talking about parking oustide our own houses on a private estate which has no parking issues not trying to steal a ride on a train or park for free in a public road. I could understand if we were close to town and people used the estate as a car park to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

How practical will this clamping be, is it planned to have a clamping company representative on 24 hour patrol in the estate? If so he will want to earn his wages by enforcing vigorously otherwise will a rep. randomly patrol the estate? Or maybe there is a clamping rep. already living in the estate and this would be a more economical solution as far as the clamping costs are concerned. Who actually gets 100% of the clamp release fee? I don't think there is going to be a happy ending to this situation.

Sorry that is completely irrelavant argument. We are talking about parking oustide our own houses on a private estate which has no parking issues not trying to steal a ride on a train or park for free in a public road. I could understand if we were close to town and people used the estate as a car park to go to work.
    Jimjay, you have mentioned on a couple of occasions forgetting the txt or permit for your guests. I am simply pointing out you should not forget, as per so many things in life. Forgetting is no excuse.

Should we now lobby for non clamping because people may forget. What bs*te.

Look folks. What is the alternative for fee collection. Nobody has come up with one.

Maudi mentioned doing away with mgmt fees and a residents association. Is this an alternative? I'd love to not have to pay mgmt fees. But this thread deals with clamping to aid fee collection, not an argument for or against mgmt companies so I guess we had better stay on topic.

• Advertisement

Jimjay, you have mentioned on a couple of occasions forgetting the txt or permit for your guests. I am simply pointing out you should not forget, as per so many things in life. Forgetting is no excuse.

Should we now lobby for non clamping because people may forget. What bs*te.

Look folks. What is the alternative for fee collection. Nobody has come up with one.

Maudi mentioned doing away with mgmt fees and a residents association. Is this an alternative? I'd love to not have to pay mgmt fees. But this thread deals with clamping to aid fee collection, not an argument for or against mgmt companies so I guess we had better stay on topic.

If we do away with fees who will pay for insurances, maintenance of the common areas, common area lighting. Insurances on block and terraces.

Everyone argument here is invalid, the clamping is happening regardless.

Cutting off the clams wind do you any good as they'll just target your car more often then.

Some really childish suggestions here.

If you've paid your bills you won't have a problem.

If your management company has decided that everyone needs to pay for their passes then so be it but if you didn't attend your AGM to argue your point then that's your own problem.

Everyone who owns a property has the right to an opinion but if you don't attend the agm to voice it it's your own fault.

I'm sorry but you really can't come on here and bitch and moan if you don't attend your agm.

Responding to it like a bold child won't get you anywhere either

If you haven't paid any management fees why would you get a permit?

You might still get a permit but it won't be valid until you pay your fees, depends on how the agents deal with it

If we do away with fees who will pay for insurances, maintenance of the common areas, common area lighting. Insurances on block and terraces.

Everyone argument here is invalid, the clamping is happening regardless.

Cutting off the clams wind do you any good as they'll just target your car more often then.

Some really childish suggestions here.

If you've paid your bills you won't have a problem.

If your management company has decided that everyone needs to pay for their passes then so be it but if you didn't attend your AGM to argue your point then that's your own problem.

Everyone who owns a property has the right to an opinion but if you don't attend the agm to voice it it's your own fault.

I'm sorry but you really can't come on here and bitch and moan if you don't attend your agm.

Responding to it like a bold child won't get you anywhere either

I agree with all of that. Just out of interest (it doesn't affect me too much) though I wonder was there notice given of intention to discuss proposals for clamping

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I agree with all of that. Just out of interest (it doesn't affect me too much) though I wonder was there notice given of intention to discuss proposals for clamping

No. And if there was i would have tried to go.
    Matt, i have not been able to attend ours as i was working or been away, will they postpone a meeting so i can go? Dont think so. Is it my fault i could not get out of other commitments to go? And btw this was at the times i heard there was a meeting, most years we get no notification.

About 6 months I think. We first raised it in the crescent in November

There's Been at least 4 letters about it

About 6 months I think. We first raised it in the crescent in November

There's Been at least 4 letters about it

I meant notice about intention to make a decision on it not notice to actually do it

Terry Pratchet

oh we understand a lot matt-dublin.make no mistake about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Would cutting off water/electricity supplies to the relevent units not be a better option? It would also have an immediate effect, or maybe i'm wrong?

Would cutting off water/electricity supplies to the relevent units not be a better option? It would also have an immediate effect, or maybe i'm wrong?

I don't think management companies or management agents could legally do that.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

There is no mention of clamping in the park. Am all for forcing the hand of those who do not pay but il say it again.....those who have no permits wil start parking in our section thereby avoiding need to pay their fees.....any non agressive, legal solutions please?

Advertisement