Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Hard Drive

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all. I need to back up roughly 80gb of photos from my mac. Just wondering could anyone point me in the direction of a 120gb portable hard drive, thats reliable and good value for money. Am looking for a storage solution specifically for these photos so won't need anything larger. All info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

nutts_77 wrote: »
    Hi all. I need to back up roughly 80gb of photos from my mac. Just wondering could anyone point me in the direction of a 120gb portable hard drive, thats reliable and good value for money. Am looking for a storage solution specifically for these photos so won't need anything larger. All info appreciated.

Maybe not the "best value for money" if you strictly compare €/GB, but it doesn't get much more "reliable" than a solid state disk. They surely can take some "abuse", a 128 GB SSD + enclosure should be yours for around 100 yoyos.

P.S. They've stopped making 120 GB HDDs more than 5 years ago. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Ha. I had a feeling that might be an issue.. Cheers..

Something this and a 2.5" USB 3.0 caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this 320gb from Argos

or for €4 euro more a 500gb one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I hate caddies, connections are too unreliable.

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I hate caddies, connections are too unreliable.

Care to elaborate? I've got four "DIY external hard drives" and the connections are as reliable as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Torqay wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? I've got four "DIY external hard drives" and the connections are as reliable as they come.

I've only had one caddy in fairness but it's been nothing but trouble.

The mains lead where it plugs into the caddy was a loose fit and the push on leads on the end plate came off, it's gone in the bin now I wouldn't even sell it on.

Personally I wouldn't touch one again.

Advertisement