Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a personality clash negatively impact chances of promotion

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am a current part time senior in my firm where my boss and I get on to a certain extent but in the two years I have been here we have had a strained relationship. One or two heated debates basically down to her being a **** communicator and she is known for this! I have tried to adjust accordingly. I have learned from my mistakes coming in new with big ideas and have adapted to deliver to her controlling fearing change manner! Now a similar full time senior role has emerged which I would be well qualified for and am doing a masters for that line of work!
    Will have to go thru panel interview but could I be at a disadvantage due to our personality differences and previous history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes, of course it could be a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It depends, OP. If the new position is one in which your boss would have little to no interaction with you then they could be delighted to see the back of you and actually recommend you. On the other hand, and I have experience of this, you can be punished for a personality clash with your boss. He/she can deny you training opportunities that they freely give to others out of pure spite, they can deny holidays etc all because you dont tow the line. If you feel strongly you were denied a fair chance at moving up the ladder, you need to lodge a complaint with HR, with examples to back your complaint up.

It may be the kind of place where you will always play second fiddle to your boss so if this is the case then it might be best to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

As Wanderer2010 says, it can go both ways.

It all comes down to how professional the person you clash with is. I have worked with a few people who I have found it a struggle to get on with. But regardless of personal opinion of them, professionally I always maintain a civil and collaborative work relationship with them. Even if we have 'run-ins' I always try to leave personal opinion out of it and be professional (that is not to say I don't come home and give out yards about what happened in the privacy of my own four walls!). But in work I try to keep my personal feelings a bit detached and maintain a professional appearance.

If your boss is like that, then despite their personal feelings about you, they won't be petty.

Then again, if they are a small sad little person, they might just jump at the opportunity to be petty.

all you can really do is give a great interview. Perhaps think about the negative things your boss might say about you if they could - and then diffuse this by using the interview as an opportunity to address these. For eg - take any of the negatives/areas of improvement which were mentioned in your last performance review and then list steps you have taken to address these and give examples of how you have improved. This makes it quite difficult for your boss to then dredge up 'failings' you have, as you have diffused the situation by already mentioning them. Also, if they start to mention things that are not in your performance reviews, it will look very petty of them to the other managers.

Your interview is with a panel - so not just her getting to make the decision. You need to trust that you can present yourself well to the others and not worry about her trying to sabotage you. If she is as bad as you say, chances are they are aware of her issues too.

Have faith in yourself, as much as possible, head her off at the pass and just do your best.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KittyChai

Thanks actually had a really positive discussion with manager re new job today so fingers crossed I may be in with a chance!

Advertisement