Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange tall flower in summer - name??

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am looking for the name of a very common flower that you see in many gardens/near hedges or by streams.

It is a long narrow stem with a dainty orange flower at the top. It also has a long thicker separate leaf that grows along with it.

Could anyone tell me what it is called? I would love to siw some this year.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

Gambas, thank you so much for that repy. That is it! I think it looks lovely. Now to go and get myself some. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oldstyle1 wrote: »
    Gambas, thank you so much for that repy. That is it! I think it looks lovely. Now to go and get myself some. Thanks again

Be very sure where you want to plant monbretia. The common version is extremely vigorous, and can easily take over.

There are some varieties which are not as mad as the common one. Crocosmia Lucifer is taller and red, and there are some yellow ones, and a version with a larger orange flower than the invasive one. Most garden centers will stock this.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Oldstyle1 wrote: »

If you know a ditch where they are growing, just dig up some corms and plant them in your place. Even though they probably have green leaves already, they are hardy things, and as pwurple says they'll take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Be sure you REALLY want them, I dedicate a good bit of my gardening time to removing them from where they are not wanted, along with spanish bluebells they will take over. They are very pretty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

looksee wrote: »
    Be sure you REALLY want them, I dedicate a good bit of my gardening time to removing them from where they are not wanted.

++1

They are very nice in the right place but be sure to put them in a confined place or they will become rampant. Instead of getting the usual/wild variety look perhaps for some of the vivid red ones - Lucifer is the most common - or some of the yellow ones. There are loads out there :)

Lucifer are very tall, they need a lot of space and do spread a bit. The yellow ones don't spread in the demented way the orange one do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I love the foiliage and when it is in flower.
    If they are planted along a wall and separate from other flower beds by lawn will they confine themsleves to that area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I love the foiliage and when it is in flower.
    If they are planted along a wall and separate from other flower beds by lawn will they confine themsleves to that area?

They will confine themselves to both your wall and your lawn. :)

They will eventually try to spread out into the lawn. If you're mowing it regularly that will control it but the simplest thing is to put down a physical barrier all around their bed - timber, stone, plastic etc - whichever you prefer.
    Don't worry too much - they can be controlled easily but the proper preparations now will save you time and effort later.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    They will confine themselves to both your wall and your lawn. :)

I know I don't mow the lawn that often, but they don't spread that quick do they?? :D
    lottpaul wrote: »
    They will eventually try to spread out into the lawn. If you're mowing it regularly that will control it but the simplest thing is to put down a physical barrier all around their bed - timber, stone, plastic etc - whichever you prefer.
    Don't worry too much - they can be controlled easily but the proper preparations now will save you time and effort later.

That was what I was thinking. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

looksee wrote: »
    Lucifer are very tall, they need a lot of space and do spread a bit. The yellow ones don't spread in the demented way the orange one do.

My red Lucifer is very well behaved and does not seem to wander but that may be down to a heavy clay soil and wild area grass competition, i dont really know.

Just one other thing, I know where I can dig these out...how should they be planted? One clump every few yards, feet, inches?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Just one other thing, I know where I can dig these out...how should they be planted? One clump every few yards, feet, inches?

If you want to fill a space as quickly as possible just plant them widely over the whole area - they will soon fill in the gaps.

If you'd like to do a bit of digging you could have loads out of my garden...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Yes, the crocosmia lucifer is not as invasive, and what super red flowers they have! I too love the orange 'emily mckenzie' type, but they spread like crazy. They are my favourite, what about these just to give you an idea?

http://www.dejager.co.uk/_-Crocosmia-_product/?pid=17557

The yellow type is 'George Davidson' really pretty. Summer just would not be the same without them. And you can easily grow these from seed, just collect in september and sow immediately, although the flower produced may not be exactly the same as the parent plant.

NM

Advertisement