Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clematis

• 18-02-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice on training a clematis to grow up rather than out.

I've been told to use twine and tie it, but I'm having difficulty getting to stay against the wall or grow up.

Currently, its just like dry wood and if I try bend it, it breaks away.

Its mounted to the wall using trellis, but I think I've made a bags of the initial mounting.

:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kaisersoze wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice on training a clematis to grow up rather than out.

I've been told to use twine and tie it, but I'm having difficulty getting to stay against the wall or grow up.

Currently, its just like dry wood and if I try bend it, it breaks away.

Its mounted to the wall using trellis, but I think I've made a bags of the initial mounting.

:(

Clematis will wrap itself around the trelis frame.:)

You can use a small bit of green garden wire,can be bought in any diy/gardening store for around 2 euro a roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Thanks Paddy. This one has wrapped itself in knots and is top heavy, so I've let it a bit late to look as pretty as that.

I'll try that green garden wire and see how i go.

Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kaisersoze wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy. This one has wrapped itself in knots and is top heavy, so I've let it a bit late to look as pretty as that.

I'll try that green garden wire and see how i go.

Thanks again

You can also get a few 7mm rawl plugs.

Drill some 7mm hole into the wall with 7mm HSS masonary bit.

Fit rawl plug and then screw in some 60mm stainless steel screws or vine/eyes.

Then get a few lengths of plastic coated garden wire or galvanized vine wire and run if along the wall in a line and at various heights.Wrap the vine wire around the screws and vine eyes and pull tight.

This will give you a perfect climbing frame that will last a lifetime and the clematis can be attached and wrapped onto this.

Any new shoots will wrap themselves oonto it and hold onto it too.

Hope this helps.:)

Heres a pic that I took while out on a romantic walk with the girlfriend,to show what I mean regarding vine wire (not clematis though...chaenomeles rubra)).

Advertisement