Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expensive DE Razors, are they worth it

• 18-02-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Ive been looking at getting a DE razor to replace the mach3, the only thing stopping me is the price, im not tight (i swear) but is it actually worth spending atleast 30e on one when they can be picked up much cheaper in local chemist, albeit not the named brands i see on the web essentially the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The ones you see in the chemist are likely to be plastic - they might have metal in the handle for extra weght. The more expensive ones are pretty heavy pieces of metal (compared to current cartridge razors).

They will last a lifetime (literally) if you look after them. The blades they take are stupidly cheap too. You can get 100 blades for about €12 and they should last you a year at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

The initial outlay can be steep, but well worth it.

The thing about de razors is they need weight behind them. Unlike cartridge razors where you pull the razor across your face to cut the hair. With a de you leave the weight do the cutting and guide the razor with your hand.

Because of this it is better to buy the best razor you can afford, these razors are generally very good quality and will last for as long as you look after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Right i'm going to order a Edwin Jagger DE89L and see how i get on, seems to get great reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

€30 is less than a night out. €30 for something that will provide a lifetime (and beyond) of service.

That's exactly what I told myself as I was paying for it:) Ordered it last night with a few other bits, looking forward to trying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It gets worse from here.
    My second razor was €75 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dont look at the stainless steel DEs like Feather, Ikon, Titan etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I can understand the obsession on the brushes, soaps, even razors. But I don't know that I understand spending more than this:

edwin-jagger-barley__43707_std.jpg

It's my only razor and I am so content I see no need to look any further. Great weight, looks good, performs well.

What more are you looking for in a more expensive razor? Aggressiveness? Weight? Length?

BTW, I was really surprised how small the razor handle was after obsessing on the picture for 3 days. The size actually makes a lot of sense for manipulating and flipping the razor between your fingers and never being in the way. I needn't have worried and would suggest newbies to relax if the length of the handle is a concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

There is no correlation between price and how aggressive a razor is.
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Edwin-Jagger-Chatsworth-Barley.html
    I have a different EJ to yours which is currently selling for just under 100 euro, it is
    a beautiful razor and I appreciate the attention to detail the manufacturer put into it.
    The downside, I find it too mild for me and rarely use it.

The all stainless steel Feather DE is another razor I like the look of but I held of buying one,
    nothing to do with the price but due to reports that it is a relatively mild razor. In comparison
    I picked up two Weber stainless steel DEs. I liked their design and the material used and they
    are the exactly the right level of aggrresive-ness for me (similar to a Progress on 3-4).

I picked up an ikon as again reports and reviews led me to correctly believe it would match the type of razor
    I like. I was interested in how the combination of how an open comb on one side and closed comb on the other would work.

Could I have stuck to just one razor? Yes, I would have been happy with a Progress. Not everyone wants to try
    or needs to try a selection of razors. Its a case of whatever floats your boat. Some people spend 'crazy money' on
    cars, some spend money flying out to watch football or rugby matches

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is the money worth it, yes

Its a pain having to fork out for say a Merkur Progress but its honestly a lifetime razor and short of breaking it with a hammer it'll likely last longer then you will! :)

I currently shave with a 1950's Gillete Superspeed de razor which I got off ebay for 25e, kind of odd shaving with a razor thats older then me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There is no correlation between price and how aggressive a razor is.

None whatsoever. I was that close [pinches fingers] to buying a Feather All Stainless Steel when it first came out, thankfully, a clutch of user experiences across various forums pointed out that it is quite mild.

Spend whatever amount makes you feel right about the situation.

I'm currently going through a posh handle lusting phase, help me Jebus.. [85mm Zeus]

http://uforazorhandles.blogspot.com.es/2012/08/ufo-zeus-series-en-venta-on-sale.html

Well my 30e razor arrived yesterday and ill be sticking with it for a while, reckon i could see myself spending money on a fancier brush or stand before i go out and spend a a small fortune on another razor. Really nice looking razor for the money, hope it shaves as good as it looks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It will, chances are you'll get a few nicks at first but stick with it, by far the best €50 I ever spent.

I dont regret changing over anyway, think ill be sticking with DE razors from now on.

Advertisement