Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working aboard expo,dublin 19th march

Options
  • 18-02-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

just wondering, what should i bring to this event. Should i bring a few copies of my cv along with my academic transcripts/results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

dunno mate i am gonna bring a few cvs anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NZ Blaa

Hi.. The Working Abroad Expo is on the 2nd & 3rd March in Dublin, not the 19th... partial exhibitor list went up today, will be close to 40 Canadian Employers present so check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Any welders lookinf to move to Saskatchewan send me a PM my company is heading over to hire welders and machinists

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Anybody got a link for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭canadabound1

ye, there is another company running an expo event on 19th march as well as the 2nd,3rd march expo events u mentioned

www.workingin-events.com/events/opportunities-overseas-expo-dublin-march-2013/#.USJ5lPJr3Sg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I went to one of these last October or so. I brought some CVs. I was given a quick on the spot interview by one on the companies, then offered a full interview for the following day. Later that week I got a call offering me the job and now I live in Canada. :-)

tldr: Bring CVs.

well done on gettin the job :). what r u workin at in canada? when u got the job, how long did it take 4 u 2 get visa sorted and start workin in canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

iamstop wrote: »
    I went to one of these last October or so. I brought some CVs. I was given a quick on the spot interview by one on the companies, then offered a full interview for the following day. Later that week I got a call offering me the job and now I live in Canada. :-)

are you happy over there whats the new life like ?

iamstop wrote: »

Which expo did you attend? There are so many different ones now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Deffo CV's, perhaps copies of your certifications (can't hurt). Don't dress completely sloppily (no need for a suit, but smart jeans and jumper for sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I went to the jobs expo on Sunday last in Croke park. It was a load of crap! About 10 - 15 stands. Sky ireland, aldi, dj school, health services in oz, two recruitment agencies for canada, corn market, USIT, shipping company, interview skills. That's all I can think of.

One stand had a queue of about 50 - 100 people at any time. It was a recruitment agency for road building in canada. One guy on his own at this stand getting people to fill out forms. At a guess I'd say he easily had three thousand forms by the end of the day!

There was a company who were offering shipping of your possessions and pets. I inquired about the cost of getting my teeny tiny dog to calgary...€800 minimum he told me! I said I could get him a seat on the plane for half that!! (Kidding, I know I can't do that!)

There was a talk at 2pm about visas and one at 4pm about living in canada. I went to the visa talk. It was terrible. Basically a girl from USIT trying to sell their packages. I didn't even wait for the 4pm talk. I figured it would be someone else trying to sell something.

Anyway there seems to be a lot more listed at this expo in march so im sure it will be better. In not going to go as I have plans but good luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Lima Golf wrote: »
    There was a company who were offering shipping of your possessions and pets. I inquired about the cost of getting my teeny tiny dog to calgary...€800 minimum he told me! I said I could get him a seat on the plane for half that!! (Kidding, I know I can't do that!)

I got a quote to bring my cat (big enough 5.5kg) to Vancouver €500, €800 is a bit much.

I looked at the list of stalls, if you are in construction, or skilled labour then you'll be fine. There wasn't much else. I work in social care, from what I can see there is one stall from Saskatchewan. Not worth €12 tbh

What is €12?

NZ Blaa wrote: »
    What is €12?

sorry €10 for the one on 2nd &3rd (still not worth it IMO)
    or
    €15/€12 for the one on 19th

the tickets 2 gain entry

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

My advisa guys for goin to the expo is to book you ticket online,you will get in alot quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

is this just for skilled/trade workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ben2026

Hi guys, i booked my ticket for saturday 2nd march. Just wondering what time should i arrive as i expect there will be large crowds. Also would like to know like Krudler asked, is it mainly for skilled trades people, I have no trade skills and have worked in a factory for past few years. I went to the last expo in October and did not really find it that beneficial.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

well done on gettin the job :). what r u workin at in canada? when u got the job, how long did it take 4 u 2 get visa sorted and start workin in canada?

It took about 3 months total to get all the documents I needed, send them all off with the fee and photos etc and get an email reply. Another 1-2 weeks for my documents to be returned by mail.
    thecross1 wrote: »
    are you happy over there whats the new life like ?

It's bloody cold! Has been -40 with wind chill but in general its pretty good. Much better than being on the dole long term. I'm earning AND learning in a new job/career. Going to give it 3 years and see how we are after that.
    NZ Blaa wrote: »
    Which expo did you attend? There are so many different ones now...

One in the RDS. Think it was just called the Work Abroad Expo

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

Do you have the details of this company? I'd love to get some quotes for shipping both our dog & our personal goods.

We might be shipping our dog and all the info I've read so far indicated that it would be about €2500, unless she travelled on the same flights as ourselves, & that would be more like €800+ depending on the number of flights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Do you have the details of this company? I'd love to get some quotes for shipping both our dog & our personal goods.

We might be shipping our dog and all the info I've read so far indicated that it would be about €2500, unless she travelled on the same flights as ourselves, & that would be more like €800+ depending on the number of flights etc.

Ya it was air sea freight. Here's their website http://www.airsea.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

Ya it was air sea freight. Here's their website http://www.airsea.ie/

Thank you :)

http://www.efl.ie/efl/pettransport.php

These guys quoted me €500 for my cat, and only €40 for an approved crate. :) If I get my visa I will be going with them.

Advertisement