Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ramifications of a conviction

• 18-02-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    There is a very strong possibility that I will be convicted on a charge of affray soon. I will graduate from UCC this summer and have intentions of travelling overseas for a postgrad and ultimately work.
    I
    would appreciate any info anyone might have re the following questions?

How much of a career killer will this conviction be?
    Will it stop me getting a job in Ireland?
    What are the implications for travel?
    thanking you all in advance
    LY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

All depends on the job you want to do and the conviction. Your solicitor will be able to inform you of the issues in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lycant

I have already broached the subject with him, but he is very vague.
    he talks about the indiscretions of youth being understood etc.
    I'm not so sure the honcho in the visa section of the US embassy would take such a cavalier view.
    Has anyone out there any direct experience?

lycant wrote: »
    I have already broached the subject with him, but he is very vague.
    he talks about the indiscretions of youth being understood etc.
    I'm not so sure the honcho in the visa section of the US embassy would take such a cavalier view.
    Has anyone out there any direct experience?

That sounds like code for the Probation of Offenders Act 1907, put simply if a person pleads guilty or is found guilty the matter can be struck out and no conviction recorded.

Section 1 (1) (i) http://www.probation.ie/pws/websitepublishing.nsf/attachmentsbytitle/Probation+of+Offenders+Act+1907/$file/Probation+of+Offenders+Act+1907.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

US visa (waiver) asks: "have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance" - so if you do happen to be unlucky on the day and get a conviction its unlikely to affect your visa application.

Conviction or not your court appearance will show on all Garda vetting reports - not the Police Cert.

dublin daz wrote: »
    US visa (waiver) asks: "have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance" - so if you do happen to be unlucky on the day and get a conviction its unlikely to affect your visa application.

Conviction or not your court appearance will show on all Garda vetting reports - not the Police Cert.

Depending on the facts affray may or may not involve moral terpitude. The only real difference between, affray, violent disorder and riot are numbers involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Get a decent solicitor and engage with any programs suggested such as AA or anger management.

Advertisement