Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop clicks then switches off

Options
  • 18-02-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

I have a dell inspiron 1521 laptop, about 5 years old. Earlier when I was using it the screen went blank -it stayed lit, with nothing on it. I shut it off after a few minutes, and it has failed to boot since. It starts for about a second, fans come on, then there's a 'click' and it shuts down.
    I have tried a few things, but I am thinking this is a hard drive failure. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

shnaek wrote: »
    I am thinking this is a hard drive failure. What do you guys think?

Can you get into the BIOS (F2)? If not, pull the HDD (it's only 2 screws) and try again. If it works, you'll have nailed the perp. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Torqay wrote: »
    Can you get into the BIOS (F2)? If not, pull the HDD (it's only 2 screws) and try again. If it works, you'll have nailed the perp. ;)

Hey Torqay - I can't get into the bios with F2. I tried pulling the hard drive and switching it on - no response. You reckon the bios is corrupted?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,324 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Depending on the kind of click you hear it could be a bad electrical failure.

Overheal wrote: »
    Depending on the kind of click you hear it could be a bad electrical failure.

Crap. Well, it was a click I've heard many times in the past from that machine. And when I remove the hard drive there is no click at all.
    I did try reset the BIOS by removing the battery for a minute, but that didn't work. Searches online suggest that a new CMOS coin battery might solve the problem. I guess that's the cheapest thing to try for now unless anyone has any other suggestions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

When you remove the hard disk does anything appear on screen? Or does it just shut down immediately? Could be a dodgy power supply, if you could borrow another Dell one try it!

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    When you remove the hard disk does anything appear on screen? Or does it just shut down immediately? Could be a dodgy power supply, if you could borrow another Dell one try it!

Nick

Nothing appears on the screen - it shuts down immediately. I'll give that a go - though the battery is fully charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Try it both; without battery - charger only, then with battery only, see if any difference.

If no difference, start dismantling bit by bit. DVD, Memory, etc

whizbang wrote: »
    Try it both; without battery - charger only, then with battery only, see if any difference.

Cheers, whizbang. I'll give that a go.

One more thing - if the CMOS battery failed while you were using the computer, what would be likely to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

The internal power supply has probably detected a short somewhere on one of the PCBs on powerup; it's possibly a blown/damaged cap/IC of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Try removing the memory, then booting again. If the laptop gets further than normal, you may have a faulty memory module. Or even better, it may just have come loose. This happened recently on one of my old laptops where it wouldn't even get to the bios screen. Once i removed and replaced the memory module i was back in business! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

cmos battery won't cause anything like your issue.
    Dell systems will reset to defaults, which they come from the factory working with, so all you will see is F1/F2 prompt or something like that.
    Newer laptops dont have a cmos battery anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

shnaek wrote: »
    Cheers, whizbang. I'll give that a go.

One more thing - if the CMOS battery failed while you were using the computer, what would be likely to happen?

As far as I'm aware, the CMOS battery's role is to store the BIOS settings while the computer is powered off. A symptom of a faulty CMOS battery is, for example, if every time you switch on the computer, the time and date settings are all wrong. The battery failing wouldnt really affect the machine when powered on, only when you power it off.

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried a new power supply yesterday with no results. So I guess I'll just have to take it apart and see what I find.

whizbang wrote: »

Dismantled it today. I took out each memory stick and tried it each time, removed every part with no luck. Must be the motherboard. :(

Advertisement