Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from home and minding kids

Options
  • 18-02-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey

I am a stay at home mam but also run a bookkeeping business from my home. I am wondering if there is other parents out there like me who mind the kids and work from home and how they juggle these two tasks. Any tips ideas to make the day less stressful would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What age are the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

They are 3 and 4 the older one will be starting preschool in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tough ages for doing it. It depends a lot on the individual kids. Our daughter at 3 will play away by herself in the sitting room and require little minding. Our son at that age just wouldn't do that for you. There'd have to be someone actively playing with him for him to do something.

If they can play away on their own or together without needing constant interaction or action from you, it could work well. It depends on the kind of work you do from home too and how it matches with interruption.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe but them both in to playschool is Sept so you could have the mornings to work?
    Mine are great for playing together and on their own but I am lucky to get an hour for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I work from home at times . I have 3 kids. Teenager is fine. The other two are 7 and 4.

4 year old goes to Montessori in morning and 7 year old is in school until 2.45. I drop them in morning, do my work and collect 4 year old at 1.

I try and take my break and eat with them and give them lots of attention during break time.

They know if mammy is working that they have to be good and they get treat when I am finished.

Lego/ jigsaws colouring pictures and games that require concentration and are time consuming are good. I also let them play out the garden for some fresh air. I try and limit the tv time. I find they get bored and distracted and misbehave when they are left to watch Telly.

I am lucky that they are in school for part of the day. Would definitely recommend it.

Oh and prepare the meals at one time. Prepare dinner while u are making lunch or cook 2 day dinners. Lasagnes large joints of meat. Saves time for the evenig

• Advertisement
Advertisement