Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed to solve a mystery!

Options
  • 18-02-2013 4:45pm
    Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep

Hi all,

The Local Studies Section of Blanchardstown Library has a mystery on it's hands.

We are looking to get in touch with the author of "The Ashtown Ambush".

It is a book/document that was possibly completed as a school project.

It was written by Gerard Doyle at some time in the early 1980's.

Does anyone know the author? His name was Gerard Doyle and he had a sister called Geraldine (Geraldine is thanked for drawing the cover illustration).

Further information is that two teachers are thanked in the book. The teachers are Mr. Grey and Mr. Whiteside. Does anyone know these teachers or the school that they taught in?

If you have any information about the above please email blanchref@fingalcoco.ie (for the attention of Lisa Deacon)

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Any hot leads Blanch Library? Or has the case gone cold?! :pac:

Could you scan a copy of the first page/cover page and post here - might jog someone's memory!

Regards
    Detective Amdub :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I've emailed the library with all the information they are looking for and Gerard has been informed they are wishing to speak with him.
    They never got back to me so I dont know if they are following it up :)

• Company Representative Posts: 328 Verified rep BlanchLibrary

Justask wrote: »
    I've emailed the library with all the information they are looking for and Gerard has been informed they are wishing to speak with him.
    They never got back to me so I dont know if they are following it up :)

Thanks for your email and your assistance.

amdublin wrote: »
    Any hot leads Blanch Library? Or has the case gone cold?! :pac:

Could you scan a copy of the first page/cover page and post here - might jog someone's memory!

Regards
    Detective Amdub :cool:

Good suggestion! However, I think we have all the information we need at this time.

Thanks for the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah this is a cool story 30 years in the making... Give us the juice BlanchLibrary! What did the author say? Was he hard to track down? Awesome little story. Entertain us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

Phillip Grey and Robert Whiteside were both teachers in The King's Hospital in the late 90's. Mr Whiteside passed away in 2006 according to RIP.ie Lesley Whiteside was the school archivist and the school archives were pretty substantial so you could get some info through them.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah this is a cool story 30 years in the making... Give us the juice BlanchLibrary! What did the author say? Was he hard to track down? Awesome little story. Entertain us :)
    Trademark wrote: »
    Phillip Grey and Robert Whiteside were both teachers in The King's Hospital in the late 90's. Mr Whiteside passed away in 2006 according to RIP.ie Lesley Whiteside was the school archivist and the school archives were pretty substantial so you could get some info through them.

Glad to see all the interest in this!

We are hopeful that the author will contact Staff Member Lisa Deacon about a prospective project but until then we would rather not reveal any further information.

If there are any further developments we will update you.

Thank you all for your help in this matter.

Hi Everyone,

I'm delighted to be able to update you on this story.

Through someone's help on this forum word was got to the author that a staff member in Blanchardstown Library was looking to speak to him.

Gerard Doyle contacted the Library and was able to fill us in on the booklet that he wrote back in the 1980's. It was written for the Irish Times Young Historian Competition and he came first in Leinster. Mr. Doyle is unsure of how we ended up with the item.

We are very happy to also report that Mr. Doyle has agreed to allow us to digitise this piece of work.

We will keep you updated further as this project develops.

Regards,
    Blanchardstown Library

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well now this is all very exciting!

Do you know what I'd like!
    - a photo of Master Doyle when he won the competition
    - a photo of Mr Doyle and his book now

Any chance Blandh library?! :D

Advertisement