Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line connection

Options
  • 18-02-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in but here goes anyway.

I've recently renovated a house and am planning to move in in a couple of weeks. The phone line is physically disconnected outside the house but all the wiring is set up inside and the electriction has brought the wire out so that it can be connected to the phone line outside. The two wires are literally sitting side by side by the gable end of the new house ready to be connected. We've also established that the eircom line is active.

So I ring up eircom and ask them if they can come out and connect the two lines and they tell me that they will only come out if I commit to a twelve month phone and/or broadband package with them.

Surely this can't be right? Am I not entitled to get the line connected first before deciding which company to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I too would like an answer to this.

I'm in the process of moving to a house that has a phone line, that has never been activated.

I need an active phone line before I can look at my options of who my phone & internet provider should be - but Eircom are insisting that to have a phone line activated I have be sign up to a 12 month contract with them, and if I switch to another phone or broadband provider I will pay cease contract fees.

This isn't really very competitive is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

soc wrote: »
    I too would like an answer to this.

I'm in the process of moving to a house that has a phone line, that has never been activated.

I need an active phone line before I can look at my options of who my phone & internet provider should be - but Eircom are insisting that to have a phone line activated I have
    ashdale5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in but here goes anyway.

I've recently renovated a house and am planning to move in in a couple of weeks. The phone line is physically disconnected outside the house but all the wiring is set up inside and the electriction has brought the wire out so that it can be connected to the phone line outside. The two wires are literally sitting side by side by the gable end of the new house ready to be connected. We've also established that the eircom line is active.

So I ring up eircom and ask them if they can come out and connect the two lines and they tell me that they will only come out if I commit to a twelve month phone and/or broadband package with them.

Surely this can't be right? Am I not entitled to get the line connected first before deciding which company to go with?
    be sign up to a 12 month contract with them, and if I switch to another phone or broadband provider I will pay cease contract fees.

This isn't really very competitive is it?

Hi ashdale5 and soc

It would be best to decide of whichoperator you would prefer to go with before you get the line installed. For example, If you decide to go with another provider you would arrange the installation with them (who then arrange the installation with eircom engineers). If you get a line installed by eircom a twelve month contract will apply and I believe the same conditions apply with most other operators.

Also, as eircom cannot guarantee broadband serviceuntil the line is active and tested we can still give a slight indication as to what is speeds are available in the area.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Hi ashdale5 and soc

It would be best to decide of whichoperator you would prefer to go with before you get the line installed. For example, If you decide to go with another provider you would arrange the installation with them (who then arrange the installation with eircom engineers). If you get a line installed by eircom a twelve month contract will apply and I believe the same conditions apply with most other operators.

Also, as eircom cannot guarantee broadband serviceuntil the line is active and tested we can still give a slight indication as to what is speeds are available in the area.

Regards

Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply.

What would happen if I just wanted a phone line installed and no broadband? Would Eircom come out and install then?

If Eircom can't guarantee broadband service until the line is installed then how am I supposed to decide what provider I go with before it's connected?

Eircom owns the infrastructure and charge rental on the line so surely I should be entitled to be connected in order to find out if I can actually get broadband.

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply.

What would happen if I just wanted a phone line installed and no broadband? Would Eircom come out and install then?

If Eircom can't guarantee broadband service until the line is installed then how am I supposed to decide what provider I go with before it's connected?

Eircom owns the infrastructure and charge rental on the line so surely I should be entitled to be connected in order to find out if I can actually get broadband.

Hi ashdale5

Yes, we can install a line but when the line is installed the line will be activated and a 12 month contract will apply if ordered through eircom. If you order a line through another provider this is the same case with most other providers but it is always best to check with them.

Although we cannot guarantee service until there is a line active (which will indeed have a 12 month contract if ordered from eircom)  we may be able to give you an indication of what speeds are available in your area before you place the order for a line installation but we cannot guarantee broadband service is available until the line is installed and tested.

Would you like me to check an address and give you an indication on the status of broadband in the area? Please PM me the address if so.

Regards

Al

Hi ashdale5

Yes, we can install a line but when the line is installed the line will be activated and a 12 month contract will apply if ordered through eircom. If you order a line through another provider this is the same case with most other providers but it is always best to check with them.

Although we cannot guarantee service until there is a line active (which will indeed have a 12 month contract if ordered from eircom)  we may be able to give you an indication of what speeds are available in your area before you place the order for a line installation but we cannot guarantee broadband service is available until the line is installed and tested.

Would you like me to check an address and give you an indication on the status of broadband in the area? Please PM me the address if so.

Regards

Al
    Thanks Alan. I've sent you a PM.

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan. I've sent you a PM.
    Hi ashdale5

I have just now replied to your PM

Regards

Al

Hi ashdale5

Regards

Al
    Thanks for the help Alan.

Thanks for the help Alan.
    No problem ashdale5

Happy to help

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Hi Alan.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.
    I've sent you a PM. Could you please check for me too?

Thanks

-soc

soc wrote: »
    Hi Alan.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.
    I've sent you a PM. Could you please check for me too?

Thanks

-soc
    Hi SOC

Regards

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

I've sent you a new PM on this.

Hi Alan,

I've sent you a new PM on this.
    Thanks ashdale5

I've just replied.

Al

Just have to put on record the brilliant customer service by Alan both in this this thread and also offline.

Went above the call of duty.

Eircom are lucky to have him.

Just have to put on record the brilliant customer service by Alan both in this this thread and also offline.

Went above the call of duty.

Eircom are lucky to have him.
    Hi ashdale5

Thanks for your very kind feedback!

Please keep in touch if you ever have any other issues or queries

Regards

Al

Advertisement