Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evod

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Vamo + Vivi is one of my favourite go to setups too. I've the black evod on a black evic at the moment and with a couple of modifications I made to it, it's giving decent performance and no gurgling yet, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Guess who else uses an Evod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDIuw_bTMc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

That video is an hour long ... can you tell me which part they talk about the evod?

Another evod arrived yesterday, working great - not a single gurgle. Yiz must be doing something wrong.

Wait till it gets really low, leave it sitting for a day. I only own one evod and it gurgled a lot when it was low until I fixed it.

Could be quality control issues. Ones from certain batches maybe like that. They are assembled by hand and the coils I think are made by hand too.

Where are you buying yours from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

A question that is bugging me ... based on the us prices and the fact that only part of the evod bottom coil needs to be replaced (and looking at it relative to the price of the T2/T3 where all the bottom bit needs changing) - how come the replacement coils aren't 30-40% cheaper than the T2/T3 heads in ireland and the uk.

Not giving out about any one seller here - as they all seem to be priced at around the same from what I can see
    Is it because its still new here that we aren't seeing the same savings as with the us shops ?
    For example on US shop has them at 1.50 US which is about 1.20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

US vendors have WAAAAAAY more customers than our guys. Buying in bulk=cheap in a big way. Some of the UK shops should be able to lower the prices a bit (Liberty Flights, ecigwizard) but why go lower if nobody else has?
    This might be the kind of item that allows them to sell other items at a lower margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Theres also VAT here

hmm - the reasoning above all makes sense I suppose - only thing that puzzles is the price relative to the T2/T3 heads - you would expect VAT and other such things to consistently affect all atomizer heads in a given shop and that there would be a 30-40% price differential between the evod and the other kanager heads

I guess shops charge what people are prepared to pay in the end of the day !

As a general comment - it would be nice if the mainstream market was moving to the point of the replaceable parts on a standard atomiser costing cents rather than a euro or two. That is for those of us that don't want to go messing with rebuilding and just want to buy something that slots in every month

if you're not happy with price of heads mate just buy some wire and wick and rebuild them yourself. I'm not being smart, you do have a valid point, but I bought some wire and wick and will only buy clearos or atomisers I can rebuild myself now. It's cheaper and in a way even easier than ordering them.

grindle and vaperus are right about buying power and all the stuff that bumps up the prices. In order to be a vendor you need to buy in bulk and the more bulk you buy in the less they charge you and the less you can sell them for. Also shipping costs could play a part. Everything costs more to ship to Ireland.

• Advertisement

StickyIcky wrote: »
    if you're not happy with price of heads mate just buy some wire and wick and rebuild them yourself. I'm not being smart, you do have a valid point, but I bought some wire and wick and will only buy clearos or atomisers I can rebuild myself now. It's cheaper and in a way even easier than ordering them.

grindle and vaperus are right about buying power and all the stuff that bumps up the prices. In order to be a vendor you need to buy in bulk and the more bulk you buy in the less they charge you and the less you can sell them for. Also shipping costs could play a part. Everything costs more to ship to Ireland.

Your right about the rebuilding - when I get sometime I'm going to sit down and figure it out ! just from a point of view of seeing how the thing works anyways. At the moment I'm lazy and its easier to add a few heads to orders - then messing with the innards of the atomizer heads

Your right about the rebuilding - when I get sometime I'm going to sit down and figure it out ! just from a point of view of seeing how the thing works anyways. At the moment I'm lazy and its easier to add a few heads to orders - then messing with the innards of the atomizer heads

Yip I used to be of that school of thought. Not saying either school is better or worse but for me it's kinda fun to poke around and once you do it a few times, it's so easy you're like, nah I'd much rather rebuild half a dozen heads myself than throw them in the bin and pay for new ones. It's so easy. Cut a peice of wick, cut a peice of wire, wrap the wire around wick, insert two ends of the wire, job done :) (basically anyway! ha there's a bit more faffing about to it than that admittedly) ;)

Wait till it gets really low, leave it sitting for a day. I only own one evod and it gurgled a lot when it was low until I fixed it.

Could be quality control issues. Ones from certain batches maybe like that. They are assembled by hand and the coils I think are made by hand too.

Where are you buying yours from?

My older evod from esmokeireland (I have it 11 days now) only gurgled once. After that I ensured that the coil was tight as **** after every refill. I vaped it till it was empty and nothing happened. So 10 days gurgle free, still vaping away like a mad yoke.

This second one, from thebestshop, is on its second refill. I'll vape this till it's empty, see what happens.

By the way, that fix with the silicone cap you did. Could it work with a spare piece of silicone from another evod head? Like this (I'm not going to try it as mine work fine, I'm just playing around with the spare coils I have):

Get a spare coil: http://i.imgur.com/EZkQA3y.jpg

Take off the silicone: http://i.imgur.com/usSZ0n6.jpg

Stick it on the other one (actually a very snug fit): http://i.imgur.com/vfddyMl.jpg

It could work but you'd need a spare evod head and I'd much rather keep mine, rebuild them and just use the silicone from carto condoms instead. Interesting though. Your way seems easier quicker and will probably work.
    GobblyNob wrote: »
    My older evod from esmokeireland (I have it 11 days now) only gurgled once. After that I ensured that the coil was tight as **** after every refill. I vaped it till it was empty and nothing happened. So 10 days gurgle free, still vaping away like a mad yoke.

This second one, from thebestshop, is on its second refill. I'll vape this till it's empty, see what happens.

By the way, that fix with the silicone cap you did. Could it work with a spare piece of silicone from another evod head? Like this (I'm not going to try it as mine work fine, I'm just playing around with the spare coils I have):

Get a spare coil: http://i.imgur.com/EZkQA3y.jpg

Take off the silicone: http://i.imgur.com/usSZ0n6.jpg

Stick it on the other one (actually a very snug fit): http://i.imgur.com/vfddyMl.jpg

Just vaped second evod to almost empty (didn't want to empty it 100% in case the wicks burned).

Nothing happened, except the wicks possibly burned a bit :o. Bit of a plasticky taste after refilling it.

GobblyNob wrote: »
    Just vaped second evod to almost empty (didn't want to empty it 100% in case the wicks burned).

Nothing happened, except the wicks possibly burned a bit :o. Bit of a plasticky taste after refilling it.

Glad to hear you're not having any real issues with the Evod.I might grab one from ESI as the heads (CE4) I'm getting from another vendor aren't working-again!!!
    Me thinks its time to start making my own :)

Yip I used to be of that school of thought. Not saying either school is better or worse but for me it's kinda fun to poke around and once you do it a few times, it's so easy you're like, nah I'd much rather rebuild half a dozen heads myself than throw them in the bin and pay for new ones. It's so easy. Cut a peice of wick, cut a peice of wire, wrap the wire around wick, insert two ends of the wire, job done :) (basically anyway! ha there's a bit more faffing about to it than that admittedly) ;)

Sticky,what do you do for differing resistances? Do you use a different thickness for each?or is it down to how much wire is used?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's down to the thickness of the wire, how much wire is used and partially to how much wick is used

if you wrap 6 turns of .20 kanthal around 2mm of wick you'll have a lower resistance than if you wrapped 6 turns of .20 kanthal around 4mm of wick, because the wire has to travel further to make a complete wrap of the wick

with wires .20 is for lower res, .15 for medium-high and you can adjust in those ranges by adding or removing a turn, so 4 turns of wire on the wick instead of six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

To confuse it even more, I'm convinced that 0.2 gives better flavour than 0.15 at the same resistance. The extra turns of wire probably aid that I suppose....

I'm half convinced that 1mm x 4 gives a better coil than 2mm x 2 as well. I think the coil is more round than the oval coil from 2mm x 2.....

I'm half convinced that not using a splint (like a needle) gives a better coil too....

Probably all a load of rubbish....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i got better coils not using a splint too, but you have to get it sitting on the wick just right or it can go wrong tasting

• Advertisement

Sounds pretty straightforward then :eek:

Nah,thanks for the explanations Sir Digby and Green.

Sounds doable and I'm sure with a bit of tinkering around I'll get a decent vape that's to my liking.

I know this is off topic but I recently filled a LR(1.5)Carto using the condom method with 50/50 pg-vg juice and left it to settle for about 10 minutes.
    I started to vape at about 3.4v slowly increasing to 4.2 on an eGo Twist.
    I then got this poxy god awful burning taste that now wont go away,no matter what I set it at! :(

Did I do something wrong or is it the carto?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Nah,thanks for the explanations Sir Digby and Green.

Sounds doable and I'm sure with a bit of tinkering around I'll get a decent vape that's to my liking.

I know this is off topic but I recently filled a LR(1.5)Carto using the condom method with 50/50 pg-vg juice and left it to settle for about 10 minutes.
    I started to vape at about 3.4v slowly increasing to 4.2 on an eGo Twist.
    I then got this poxy god awful burning taste that now wont go away,no matter what I set it at! :(

Did I do something wrong or is it the carto?:confused:
    4.2v might be a little high for 1.5ohms, but boge LR are around 2ohms, is it a smoktech dc 1.5ohm carto? Maybe it ran out of juice, that can feck up a carto.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    4.2v might be a little high for 1.5ohms, but boge LR are around 2ohms, is it a smoktech dc 1.5ohm carto? Maybe it ran out of juice, that can feck up a carto.

Yeah sorry,its a Boge and it says its around the 2ohm mark-dont know where I got 1.5 from,looking at way too much vaping stuff of late.:o

The burnt taste only happened a couple of minutes into vaping so it wasn't the lack of juice.

I'm gonna stick to the s/r Boges.To be honest I kind of had a feeling this would happen as in my experience the Twists don't handle lower resistances very well.The same thing has happened with 1.8 heads on clearomizers,so I stick to 2.4ohms or 2.8.

I guess I thought cartomizers might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Ha ha....actually it is pretty straightforward. Most of the stuff we mentioned was more fine tuning than anything.

4 strands of 1mm and wrap 4 or 5 turns of 0.2 kanthal and that's about it. Preheat the kanthal to take the spring out of it first.

Sticky,what do you do for differing resistances? Do you use a different thickness for each?or is it down to how much wire is used?

Both :-D sorry on phone. Pm me and I'll answer in more detail tomorrow

Advertisement