Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversions in a duplex

Options
  • 18-02-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some very general ideas here of what I'm looking at.

Like many people we are short on space and in the medium-term our only options for our property are to rent elsewhere or expand into the attic.

But, as we live in a duplex, I know it's not that simple because of block ownership, etc. I'm really looking for some advice on what the process typically would be.

Each duplex is on top of another duplex, both have two floors, they're set up as interlocking L's. Each block comprises 8-16 duplexes in total. All duplexes have their own front doors. Responsibility for the blocks is vested in the management company, i.e. they look after building insurance, external maintenance, etc. We're in the upper duplex with exclusive access to the attic above us. There is no common attic - i.e. there is complete wall between us and the duplex next door.

At the moment I've put down some chipboard flooring, wired up some lights and I use it for storage and some light DIY work. So as it's in fairly common use, I would like to clean it up somewhat - make some more room by removing joists, build in some storage around the edges, power, possibly a skylight, move the water tank to a better location, and maybe a permanent access ladder of some kind.

I'm assuming that if I was to go the "great new room" route, I'd need to have an architect design it, sign off on it and then have the management co. approve it? Obviously I want to go the route that ensures full compliance and that there are no problems with selling the building in the (distant) future.

But if I was to go with something simpler that involved just sticking in some storage, some panelling, etc, without affecting any joists, I assume I wouldn't need to tell anyone?

If this was a typical conversion, would architect sign-off be required? Not that I would even consider touching the structure of a building without a professional :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any alterations to the attic would first and foremost require approval from the management company. I would be pretty surprised if you got permission to remove joists or put in a skylight - the roof is insured by the management company and they would be well within their rights to refuse permission to alter this.

There are also fire safety issues involved with turning attic space into rooms, escape routes being key.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What does your lease say? It's most likely that you have no right to have undertaken the work so far without permission of the landlord/freeholder which in this case is likely to be the owner's management company. There will also be planning/building reg issues as there is no form of exempted development with multiple units (such as is the case here). Before doing any more work which you might have to expensively undo, it would be worth your while getting formal advice.

Advertisement