Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Bandwidth falloff

Options
  • 18-02-2013 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey,
    How might a low SNR manifest itself in real terms? My Dad has a WISP in Kilkenny and he is on an 8Mb package. He was told that he is slightly too far out from the base station and that he wouldn't get the full speed. However, if he does a speed test (on any of the speed sites) it returns a full download speed of 8Mb (or very close). However, if he starts a download the transfer rate gets up near 900k (800-900) fairly quick and holds that for about a minute before if starts creeping down and settles at about 300k. Would this be reasonable?
    The reason the speedtest is showing a good results is because, for some reason, the transfer rate doesn't drop until about 1 minute - strangly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

almez wrote: »
    Hey,
    How might a low SNR manifest itself in real terms? My Dad has a WISP in Kilkenny and he is on an 8Mb package. He was told that he is slightly too far out from the base station and that he wouldn't get the full speed. However, if he does a speed test (on any of the speed sites) it returns a full download speed of 8Mb (or very close). However, if he starts a download the transfer rate gets up near 900k (800-900) fairly quick and holds that for about a minute before if starts creeping down and settles at about 300k. Would this be reasonable?
    The reason the speedtest is showing a good results is because, for some reason, the transfer rate doesn't drop until about 1 minute - strangly!

It's called data bursting, some wireless providers use it. It allows a packets transfer at a faster speed but pulls back to the nomal rate after a set time

• Registered Users Posts: 11 almez

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's called data bursting, some wireless providers use it. It allows a packets transfer at a faster speed but pulls back to the nomal rate after a set time

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this would happen even if the signal strength was good? That is, is data busting using some type of intelligence or is it just a scam to give the illusion of high transfer rates!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

almez wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think this would happen even if the signal strength was good? That is, is data busting using some type of intelligence or is it just a scam to give the illusion of high transfer rates!?

You do not pay for 8mbit, you pay for a share of 8mbit at a certain contention ratio.

Not sure what you mean by signal strength, they don't install if the signal between their transmitter and your house isn't good enough as it will be troublesome. Bursting works like I described, it allows a sudden burst at a faster speed. It's not a scam, it's a neat way for them to allow pages open quicker but not have a congested network. As you share a service, it's up to them to make sure everyone is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 almez

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You do not pay for 8mbit, you pay for a share of 8mbit at a certain contention ratio.

Not sure what you mean by signal strength, they don't install if the signal between their transmitter and your house isn't good enough as it will be troublesome. Bursting works like I described, it allows a sudden burst at a faster speed. It's not a scam, it's a neat way for them to allow pages open quicker but not have a congested network. As you share a service, it's up to them to make sure everyone is happy.

This company was the only option we had for broadband. They did a signal test before install and told my Dad he couldn't get a reliable connection cause he is too far away. He said he would like to take a chance. As it turns out it is very reliable but the bandwidth isn't as described. He isn't bothered by this but a colleague of his told him he could buy extra strength ariel that might increase the signal. We are just wondering if the signal is causing the bandwidth issues and if a higher strength Ariel might get better speeds. I have never seen this type of thing happen before, you could set your clock on when the transfer rate drops!

Advertisement