Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric ireland disconnection

• 18-02-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Is there any laws around the disconnection of electric in Ireland?
    When they can do it... Is there any ground where I can argue, they made it difficult for me to pay a bill etc...

Reason I am asking :

I have run in a legal debate with electric Ireland, my girlfriend set up the electric Ireland online billing with my e-mail account, which she has access to also.

It was fine until a few weeks ago, where I got an e-mail saying that "as I was not on the bill they where deactivating the online account as per Data protection blah blah blah."

I wrote back saying the name of an e-mail address is no indication of proof of identity, after all I could set-up an e-mail account in some other name if I wanted. Therefore the deactivation of the online account is idiotic, however if they do deactivate the account it will make paying the bill difficult.

For want of a rant, they are just p1ssing me off with stupidity and the best part about it is, they are making more difficult for me to pay the bill..

If they deactivate the account, I refuse to pay due to this stupidity what will happen?

:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭JackieBurke

You will become a user of candles fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

This is a good place to start.

There are two issues here, the decision to shut down the online account and disconnection for failure to repay.

If you have a look at the terms of your agreement you will see that you don't have a leg to stand on for the non-payment issue.

As for the first issue it seems like a stupid decision (and I've done almost exactly the same job as the people who are deactivating your online account). The best way to resolve it is to go through their internal complaints procedure and then threaten the CER if they don't give in (the CER won't entertain you until you have exhausted internal procedures).

They actually have a forum here on boards but it will need to be warned, since the contract is with your gf then they won't deal to you unless she grants her prior permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭deandean

Well, my contact e-mail address with Airicity is not my name or anything like it and Airtricity have no problem dealing with it.

And if ordering online you can have a different delivery name & address to the name & address on the credit card.

Sounds like Electric Ireland are just playing silly buggers. Not a legal opinion, but: shop around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My contact email for electric Ireland shares its name with a Disney character, no issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Yes I actually send them an e-mail saying "If my address was mickeymouse@gmail.com , would you also want mickey mouse added to the bill also?"

I think I am going to move to airtricity!

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can confirm that email was gone, I added a few numbers to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭JackieBurke

There are plenty of electricity suppliers out there. Move to someone who has some common sense.

Advertisement