Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.204 ammo

Options
  • 18-02-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi lads shooting with .204 ruger fairly happy with it changed from a parker hale .243.im using remington premier accutip vboat 40 gr they do business 99% of the time .tried hornady 40 gr vmax before and she didnt like these had alot of runners with guts hanging out which is not good tryn 2 retrieve foxes in heavy cover .any other type of ammo available here for .204 seen federal premium or american eagle 50 gr being discussed in other forums can they be got here in ireland as my local dealer not very helpful.:pac:
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

hi lads shooting with .204 ruger fairly happy with it changed from a parker hale .243.im using remington premier accutip vboat 40 gr they do business 99% of the time .tried hornady 40 gr vmax before and she didnt like these had alot of runners with guts hanging out which is not good tryn 2 retrieve foxes in heavy cover .any other type of ammo available here for .204 seen federal premium or american eagle 50 gr being discussed in other forums can they be got here in ireland as my local dealer not very helpful.:pac:
    Cheers
    Remington use the 40 grain hornady vmax bullet in their ammunition so it will be similar to the hornady 40 grain stuff.
    Shoot your foxes in the chest or head and not the guts and you wont have any runners. I used the hornady 40 grain stuff for years with great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NIGHTVISION

Hi zeissman cheers for info interesting way its same ammo, i have been shooting last 25 yrs with rifles from a .22 to a hornet to a .243 shoot most of my foxes same place behind shoulder never had any probs until got .204 .yes i do chest shots ,head shots but these always not possible .runners go 10-15 yds before dropping with massive hole behind shoulder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

use the 32grain vmax. the 1 in 12 twist rate found in the majority of factory 204 barrels don't stabilize the 40 grn. hornadys. you need a faster twist for these.

cheers franknrol will try them out .sourcing them cud be nxt prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭franknrol

cheers franknrol will try them out .sourcing them cud be nxt prob.

give these a ring and see do they deliver.

http://patrickcarleyfirearms.com/patrick-carley-firearms-limited-ammunition/

http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com/shop.asp?CATID=25&PNO=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

american eagle 50 gr being discussed in other forums can they be got here in ireland as my local dealer not very helpful.:pac:

Are the 50g American eagle you are on about not for the .223?

Im surprised to hear you are getting so many runners with the .204 although I have heard of it causing splash damage on larger animals like foxes and not penetrating because the bullet is going so fast and is so small and delicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

Please, please don't attempt head shots on any quarry. Somebody I knew once tried on deer about 100 Yds out with a 22-250 and the animal died a very bad death. Between the shoulders is always best for outright kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Bluefang wrote: »
    Please, please don't attempt head shots on any quarry. Somebody I knew once tried on deer about 100 Yds out with a 22-250 and the animal died a very bad death. Between the shoulders is always best for outright kills.

This is an opinions and assholes kind of argument..

You should have said
    Please, please don't attempt head shots on any quarry unless competent to do so

50% of my foxs are headshot ranges from 30-200 yards..

its humane once you know where your bullet is going..

'hdz

Ghost- iv just seen american eagle 50g being discussed on a english shooting forum for .204 iv never seen them over here was just curious bout them 2 see are they available .not getting runners now since i changed ammo it just didnt seem 2 like hornady and im shooting foxes in same spot behind the shoulder .will be heading over to the midlands game fair so will sush it out with dealers there.Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Ghost- iv just seen american eagle 50g being discussed on a english shooting forum for .204 iv never seen them over here was just curious bout them 2 see are they available .not getting runners now since i changed ammo it just didnt seem 2 like hornady and im shooting foxes in same spot behind the shoulder .will be heading over to the midlands game fair so will sush it out with dealers there.Cheers
    American eagle dont make 50 grain ammo for the 204.
    Even if you could get 50 grain ammo you would need a rifle with a faster twist to shoot it accurately.
    Hornady have 45 grain ammo available for the 204 so it might be worth trying a box to see how they shoot. The 45 grain bullet is made tougher than the vmax and is less likely to fragment on impact.

• Advertisement

cheers for contact numbers franknrol will buzz them this evening

Zeissman will try get my hands on box of them .thanks for info must have been bull being talked on other forum .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bluefang

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefang

You should have said
    Quote:

Arrogance and firearms don't go well together. Been hunting with rifles since I was an early teen myself, would never ever take any sort of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Bluefang wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefang

You should have said
    Quote:

Arrogance and firearms don't go well together. Been hunting with rifles since I was an early teen myself, would never ever take any sort of chances.

I've been shooting rifles about 10 years... Obviously you're doing something wrong :pac::pac::pac:

Honestly thou.. arrogance?.. Why do you pull the trigger if you don't know where YOUR bullet is going?..

Advertisement