Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue piercing

• 18-02-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys
    I am 17 and am planning on getting my tongue pierced next month but my parents are totally against it. I have done my research and I think I'll be able to manage it okay, but has anyone got any tips to reduce swelling etc cos I think it'll really be the lisp that could get me caught :/ also does anyone know of any good sites available (preferrably in uk or Ireland) to get fake tongue bar bells?
    Any other general tips on tongue piercings? :)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Try this forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=358

This forum is for retro video games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Tbh I'd say you've only got a year to wait so wait. Very few good places will pierce your tongue with your parents permission and no good place will pierce you without it.

As for swelling, nurofen plus is really good but you can only take it for three days (I think this is to do with it containing codeine, not sure) or you can just take normal ibuprofen which isn't quite as good but still helps a lot. When the swelling was particularly bad I just filled a pint glass with ice chips and carried it round the house, sucking on them every so often. Ice water helps as well. Anti-bacterial throat lozenges are said to help but I only found they reduced the swelling for a very short time. As for lisping, I only lisped for about an hour after having it done and that was more to do with learning to speak with the large bar in my mouth more than anything else. That said I know someone who lisped for a full three days so everyone is different. If your tongue does swell to the point of lisping there's no way your parents won't know, the swelling can last anything from three days to a month. If your parents usually prepare your food they're going to notice you're not eating normally either. Some people can eat normally earlier than others but you won't handle much more than soup for the first day or two at least. They might also be suspicious of why you're rinsing your mouth out afterwards as well. Like I said I think it's better to wait till you're eighteen but it's up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You won't be able to hide it unless you speak to your parents with your hand over your mouth at all times.

You won't be able to hide it unless you speak to your parents with your hand over your mouth at all times.

I spoken to people without them noticing mine including when it was swollen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just wait until you're 18 and get it done in a reputable studio, as nowhere will do it when you're 17. I got mine done at 18 despite my mam being strongly opposed to it and yes it is near impossible to hide so maybe have a chat with her about it before you get it done. She noticed as soon as i talked to her. The swelling is different for everyone. My friend got his done the same day as mine and his went down after a couple of days whereas mine was still swollen and I still had a lisp after a week. For the swelling I just kept sipping on icy water and only took tablets if it was really annoying me. As for food, I mainly stuck to soft foods like rice, soup and noodles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Bang123

Thanks guys :) I think I might just ask her and show her o know I will be able to take care of it :L I think the bar will annoy me to talk with at the start cos it will be so long and I've watch videos on YouTube and they said that can be painfully annoying for the first 2 weeks

Bang123 wrote: »
    Thanks guys :) I think I might just ask her and show her o know I will be able to take care of it :L I think the bar will annoy me to talk with at the start cos it will be so long and I've watch videos on YouTube and they said that can be painfully annoying for the first 2 weeks

When your tongue is swollen you won't feel the bar is too long, I worried mine was too short at one point. Once swelling goes down it is a pain in the ass though. Mind your teeth as well, I bit down on the big bar a good few times when eating.

I agree it's best to go with telling your parents. If they do say no you do only have the year to wait. Personally I'd say wait anyway since a lot of reputable places only do things like ear piercing on people under eighteens. I vaguely remember something about piercing the tongue of an under eighteen being classed as sexual assault but I don't know how true that is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Ok the best way to hide it is to pay 4-600 a month, buy your own food, pay your own bills and be completely independant. Until then wait a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'd advise against getting it done tbh. I got it done when I was about your age and it fecked my teeth up. They're all chipped away. A bunch of my friends got it done too and the same happened to them. Obviously that won't put you off if you have your heart set on it. Because even though I was told it would screw up my teeth I did it anyway. But there you are.

As Roger Meyers Jnr. would say. "That's why you're still kids; 'cause you're stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

pinksoir wrote: »
    I'd advise against getting it done tbh. I got it done when I was about your age and it fecked my teeth up. They're all chipped away. A bunch of my friends got it done too and the same happened to them. Obviously that won't put you off if you have your heart set on it. Because even though I was told it would screw up my teeth I did it anyway. But there you are.

As Roger Meyers Jnr. would say. "That's why you're still kids; 'cause you're stupid."

Provided you're using the correct size bar and the placement is correct and you're not playing with it all the time it should be fine. I've had mine for about 2 and a half years and my teeth are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Christina120

<snip>
    Smells like shill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

<snip>

Please don't be posting hear-say rumours!

Thanks for everything :) yeah I know she was concerned about my teeth but only 5% of people have chipped teeth after togue piercings.i spoke to get about it yesterday and she said she is strongly considering letting me get it done at the start of the summer xD fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Provided you're using the correct size bar and the placement is correct and you're not playing with it all the time it should be fine. I've had mine for about 2 and a half years and my teeth are fine.
    I had the right size alright. But I had it for about ten years and it was a gradual thing. You can always take it out if you do start noticing it affecting your teeth anyway. It took me a long time to convince myself to take it out though!

Yeah as of what I have read online, I think as long ad the bar is correctly positioned and the bar is the right size my teeth should be alright? Also if and when I get pierced should I ask for acrylic or metal balls and bioplast or metal bars? Any bad experiences? Also is Claire's a safe place to buy barbells after?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hmplantchick

I have just got mine done about 3weeks ago and its the least painful piercing to get done i hardly felt it at all its only sore when your tongue swells but other than that you will be ok. I would definitely recommend you get it done you are only young once, where abouts are you getting it done i can recommend a place in galway for you :)

I really want to get it done:L I know I would le it and have wanted it for so long xD I'm living in Clare so I probably would be going to Clowntown in Ennis or else bazzers in Cork as my nana lives in Cork. Where in Galway? I was there a few weeks ago and was SERIOUSLY thinking about getting it done there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've only gotten pierced in A.W.O.L in Galway, it's just a bit off shop street about 3-4 minutes from Eyre Square, and I found the staff in there really pleasant to deal with. If your mother seems willing to let you get it in the summer, then wait till then, when you'll be off school or whatever, and it'll make taking care of it a hell of a lot easier in my experience.

Oh yeah I think I know where your on about, is it on one of the side streets off shop street? How much did they charge for it? Metal or acrylic balls?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, one of those streets. I wasn't getting my tongue done, I was getting my ears done, I think it was a special so it might have been around 40 or so.

• Advertisement

Bang123 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I think I know where your on about, is it on one of the side streets off shop street? How much did they charge for it? Metal or acrylic balls?
    I got mine done their last month for €50. If you follow them on facebook sometimes they have offers. They use a metal bar but from what I've hear acrylic jewelry should never be used for initial piercings. Affects the healing somehow I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Go to Clowntown, cant recommend Jayme highly enough. Sometimes runs offers through their facebook page too.

Oh and we're they good? We're you happy with it? Jayme did my forward helix last month actually and he's really thorough, does a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Celine21

Ice is the best for it i think Mr Frezz Pops and eat soft foods that you dont have to chew to much or that are hard to swallow.

Advertisement