Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Weeks in and no Access to the Library

Options
  • 18-02-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Because I can't afford €91.50 for the student center levy fee I can't get access to the library.

All my other fees have been paid (thousands) but because of this small amount I'm going to fail my modules.

When I was in first year I was given time to pay off the fee, I was never barred but now because I don't have it immediately they won't let me in.

Is it right for someone's degree and life to be fu*ked up because of such a small amount?

I can't pay it because I never have spare money. I've been wearing the same runners for a year and a half now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Stop complaining, and do a bit of study, your life could be alot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ShyGuyUCD wrote: »
    Because I can't afford €91.50 for the student center levy fee I can't get access to the library

Suppose the point could equally be made that someone owing €915 should be allowed access to the library as its less than 50% of the total fee's. You wouldn't expect to be let out of a shop owing €5.

Third level education is a privilege not a right in my eyes. Work hard, do whatever it takes and you'll get there. Plenty of people scrape by and make it happen. Some students have a wonderful 'throw the hands in the air and blame the government' approach when hit with a mild hard time. In other countries it costs €1000's to go to college and many people make it work there. We have countless useless degree's in this country that make life a lot harder for those pursuing genuine, useful studies.

Life could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Because I can't afford €91.50 for the student center levy fee I can't get access to the library.

All my other fees have been paid (thousands) but because of this small amount I'm going to fail my modules.

When I was in first year I was given time to pay off the fee, I was never barred but now because I don't have it immediately they won't let me in.

Is it right for someone's degree and life to be fu*ked up because of such a small amount?

I can't pay it because I never have spare money. I've been wearing the same runners for a year and a half now.

Are you for real ??????????????????? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I can't get access to the library...

I can't pay it because I never have spare money.

Is there any way you could save some money in another area and put it towards paying off the levy?

For example, if you're paying rent somewhere maybe you could find a free bed elsewhere and save the rent money for other things such as paying off your debt to UCD.

Also a girlfriend or boyfriend can often be a good source of cash in my experience. Are you dating anyone at the moment? If not maybe you could figure out a way to meet someone around college?

The way I see it, if you could score yourself a friend with benefits who lives in Res all your problems would disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No it's not fair op in fact it's discrimination against those who cant afford to pay. I know some major groups are treating it as such and there will be some sort of media attention brought to it.

• Advertisement

CommanderC wrote: »

Not everyone in UCD is the son or daughter of a well off patron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

How necessary is library access to your modules? Is it actually the case that you will fail them if you don't get access.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ShyGuyUCD

How necessary is library access to your modules? Is it actually the case that you will fail them if you don't get access.

I don't have money for books either.

Usually I get a book grant off the social welfare but that was stopped after the budget

How am I supposed to write assignments when I can't quote anyone?

I had a test today and although I was familiar with some of the questions a lot of them I couldn't answer because I didn't have access to the books I needed to study.

Why have the library there at all if it's not necessary?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No it's not fair op in fact it's discrimination against those who cant afford to pay.

Theres a massive, massive difference between those who cannot afford to pay and those who won't pay. And 95% of the people I've seen fall into the latter camp. Theres an annoying sense of entitlement in this country for free this, free that and no consequence or pay back.

Would these same people who 'can't afford to pay' rather have a free education and then be taxed to be-jesus afterwards (If say a loan system was in force) for the privilege? The same old bands would be rolling in to join the "No" chorus. Its a complete lose-lose situation no matter what is suggested. Nothing in life is free.

Learn, Adapt and Change. The sooner we forget about the boom times and actually get back to reasonable living the better. Make cuts in your lifestyle, be aggressive and get up off your backside and get a job. I've never been out of work since 2007. Not a single day and that spans numerous positions in numerous industries (In particular leisure and hospitality, some of the worst hit sectors) Theres plenty of work out there if someone is prepared to drop the D4 standards and roll up one's sleeves. I had someone turn down €30 cash in hand for 2 hours work because they literally couldn't be bothered. And thats been the case with numerous employee's both working for me and I've worked with.

I for one would rather work my 6 day week and make do than change the system as it stands. Help and support is there for those that really, really need it.

And as for not having reading material give it a rest. Plenty of people I know pool books, go to free public libraries or download the material online. I think I've got a book out once in the library and returned it 3 days later because I actually didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

No it's not fair op in fact it's discrimination against those who cant afford to pay. I know some major groups are treating it as such and there will be some sort of media attention brought to it.

How, in any way, is it discriminatory? The student levy is as much a part of the fees as any other, and should be seen as a complete figure. Everyone pays it and everyone knows they have to pay it.

I'm sorry OP, I know its a pain in the hole to be locked out of the library but if you were able to pay the rest of your fees you should have accounted for the entire amount. As others have said, college is not a right anymore unfortunately, and consequently comes with sacrifices.

On a more positive note, I personally dont use library books that often, I find I go for online journals more. However I understand that what might be feasible in my subject might not be in yours, such as core texts or whatever. Just a thought anyway.

Good luck OP, I'm sure you'll sort it. Just talk to everyone. I would be highly surprised if UCD were not willing to make a deal of some kind with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

I don't have money for books either.

Usually I get a book grant off the social welfare but that was stopped after the budget

How am I supposed to write assignments when I can't quote anyone?

I had a test today and although I was familiar with some of the questions a lot of them I couldn't answer because I didn't have access to the books I needed to study.

Why have the library there at all if it's not necessary?

To be honest I still don't believe that, €100 is a lot to most people but if you are willing to go on an internet forum you should be willing to sacrifice to pay it. I agree with ironclaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Can't you just work at home ?

I mean I don't understand how you were able to pay thousands towards your tuition but forgot 91.00e ? That's a little bit strange.

To be honest I still don't believe that, €100 is a lot to most people but if you are willing to go on an internet forum you should be willing to sacrifice to pay it. I agree with ironclaw.

If you are willing to go on a free internet forum you are capable of paying one hundred euro? Also you are assuming everyone who doesn't pay is capable but unwilling to pay rather than willing to but incapable. They talk about student welfare in UCD but most haven't clue one about how poor aome of the poorest students are. Do you think the welfare officer is lying when some people haven't the money to eat? Do you know there are people in UCD sleeping in their car at night? I suppose they should cop on too.

If you are willing to go on a free internet forum you are capable of paying one hundred euro? Also you are assuming everyone who doesn't pay is capable but unwilling to pay rather than willing to but incapable. They talk about student welfare in UCD but most haven't clue one about how poor aome of the poorest students are. Do you think the welfare officer is lying when some people haven't the money to eat? Do you know there are people in UCD sleeping in their car at night? I suppose they should cop on too.

I think the point is they own a PC or have access to the web. As such not being able to research / read a book is a mute point. If you can afford a laptop or net access (Noting the OP made the post at 6pm in the evening and most public libraries close at 5pm) then you can (most likely) afford a levy because I doubt you own a laptop if your on the breadline or living out of your car.

Again, I'd make the distinction of won't pay versus can't pay. €100 is €3.35 per day for a month. If you can't save €3.35 per day per month then your in serious trouble and college is the least of your worries. Same applies if you cannot afford to eat. Its time to get your priorities straight at that stage.

The rest of my fees are covered by the CDVEC

Really, my original point is that my education would be disrupted over such a small amount of money.

In the student desk they give the excuse that this is the way the system is and they can do nothing about it. Like as though the system is some monster they can't control. It was they who created the system, the system only does what it's told to do. Any system that doesn't work for the well being of the people should be smashed.

What I'm really pissed off about is the blind robotic thinking and the lack of human trust and compassion.

You might be glad to know I paid the fee today and should have access on Monday as it takes a few days to process.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think the point is they own a PC or have access to the web. As such not being able to research / read a book is a mute point. If you can afford a laptop or net access (Noting the OP made the post at 6pm in the evening and most public libraries close at 5pm) then you can (most likely) afford a levy because I doubt you own a laptop if your on the breadline or living out of your car.

Again, I'd make the distinction of won't pay versus can't pay. €100 is €3.35 per day for a month. If you can't save €3.35 per day per month then your in serious trouble and college is the least of your worries. Same applies if you cannot afford to eat. Its time to get your priorities straight at that stage.

So people from a certain financial background shouldn't attend UCD. they should get their priorities right?

What next "If mammy and daddy sold the extra villa in spain you could afford college" or "If you gave up heroin you could afford extra books".

As far as getting priorities right college is a very good way for people to better their lot in life and rise to a level where they can live a decent life. From your summary of the financial capabilities of students who are suffering financially I see you haven't a clue to be honest. It's attitudes like that, that give UCD an elitest image.

So people from a certain financial background shouldn't attend UCD. they should get their priorities right?

Not at all. I'm actually from an area (South of Dublin) that has the good, bad and the down trodden. I'm all for educational access for all. I have no elitist attitude. As I said above, I work 6 days a week and the vast majority of that goes towards education. What annoys me however is some people go to college for the sake of it. Its a trend in this country. Doing utterly rubbish degree's and then wondering why no one wants them when they have a BSc in English Poetry from 1750 to 1875. All the while people doing real degree's with real prospects get landed with the slack and worse, drives fee's up for those that can barely afford it.
    What next "If mammy and daddy sold the extra villa in spain you could afford college" or "If you gave up heroin you could afford extra books".

With respect, neither of them cover my background and the former demonstrates a grand canyon size chip in your shoulder of a 'them and us' outlook.
    As far as getting priorities right college is a very good way for people to better their lot in life and rise to a level where they can live a decent life. From your summary of the financial capabilities of students who are suffering financially I see you haven't a clue to be honest. It's attitudes like that, that give UCD an elitest image.

College is an excellent way to further one's self but if your barely able to eat perhaps you should take 6 months out and take care of yourself. If I was that bad off, I'd eat before I read another book. Get a job and get a nest egg worked up. College isn't going anywhere fast. UCD's 'elitest image' has nothing to do with me or my outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

You might be glad to know I paid the fee today and should have access on Monday as it takes a few days to process.

thank goodness

i'm so relieved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Everyone has to pay the Levy. This was not a hidden charge. When you go to a University it is the responsibility of the student to pay for the fees or organise for grants. Why can't a student pay for the levy or plan for it? They do for the rest of it. The OP is in Semester 2 at this point and has paid for half of it. It's not like you didn't know what was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have you made a single post on this website that doesn't relate to other people's wealth?

Maldesu wrote: »
    Everyone has to pay the Levy. This was not a hidden charge. When you go to a University it is the responsibility of the student to pay for the fees or organise for grants. Why can't a student pay for the levy or plan for it? They do for the rest of it. The OP is in Semester 2 at this point and has paid for half of it. It's not like you didn't know what was coming.

Actually I wasn't here last semester, due to financial reasons.

AdamD wrote: »

Have you made a single post on this website that doesn't relate to other people's wealth?

Well yes on biochemistry and molecular biology. Another subject that is missunderstood. I dont care how wealthy a person is so you're missreading my posts. I myself will not have to worry about money very soon, I worked hard and made it. My problem is when people make social mobility harder or who write of the financial stress some students go through in college. I would say a large number of my posts try and dispell the myths around those less financially well off. Most of the most caring people I know are extremely wealthy and have helped many poor children go to college over the years. My issue isn't with wealth but people who judge the lack of it.

myself will not have to worry about money very soon, I worked hard and made it.

Genuinely interested as I run a few ventures myself and its a bold claim to make. What's the plan?

ironclaw wrote: »

Genuinely interested as I run a few ventures myself and its a bold claim to make. What's the plan?

I'ts not a plan but a career path I've been offered. I also intend to work on one or two patents. What about you?

Not everyone in UCD is the son or daughter of a well off patron.

Let me clarify.

Complaining about having to wear the same runners for a year and a half is ludicrous.

Well yes on biochemistry and molecular biology. Another subject that is missunderstood. I dont care how wealthy a person is so you're missreading my posts. I myself will not have to worry about money very soon, I worked hard and made it. My problem is when people make social mobility harder or who write of the financial stress some students go through in college. I would say a large number of my posts try and dispell the myths around those less financially well off. Most of the most caring people I know are extremely wealthy and have helped many poor children go to college over the years. My issue isn't with wealth but people who judge the lack of it.

I know how you feel.

I know how you feel.

Jesus I just saw that now. I can only apologise and say I did indeed missread your post. It was very stupid of me to say the least!

Let me clarify.

Complaining about having to wear the same runners for a year and a half is ludicrous.

My runners have holes around the toe areas

The inside linning and cushion around the ankle is gone

Because I have to walk many kilometers in and out of UCD everyday my feet are hurting me everyday

You don't know what you're talking about

I'm really disappointed with all the assumptions and blaming going on in this thread

It's like you assume people are just trying to get away with or something

• Advertisement

My runners have holes around the toe areas

The inside linning and cushion around the ankle is gone

Because I have to walk many kilometers in and out of UCD everyday my feet are hurting me everyday

You don't know what you're talking about

I'm really disappointed with all the assumptions and blaming going on in this thread

It's like you assume people are just trying to get away with or something

Hey Shyguy ignore them they haven't a clue.

I dont think they're bad people just ignorant.

On a different note are you a science student? If so I could try and see if any books are lying around.

Advertisement