Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Weeks in and no Access to the Library

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ps have you talked to your lecturers? You would be surprised how many have been in similar circumstances when young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think the point is they own a PC or have access to the web. As such not being able to research / read a book is a mute point. If you can afford a laptop or net access (Noting the OP made the post at 6pm in the evening and most public libraries close at 5pm) then you can (most likely) afford a levy because I doubt you own a laptop if your on the breadline or living out of your car.

Again, I'd make the distinction of won't pay versus can't pay. €100 is €3.35 per day for a month. If you can't save €3.35 per day per month then your in serious trouble and college is the least of your worries. Same applies if you cannot afford to eat. Its time to get your priorities straight at that stage.

When you assume you make an ass of you and me.

Some very catty responses in this thread. "If I can do it, so can everyone else"... get your heads out of the ground, bunch of ostriches.

Just to add: If everyone gave each other the benefit of the doubt - and there is a lot of doubt and assumption - boards would be a better place to post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

When you assume you make an ass of you and me.

What did I assume?

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think the point is they own a PC or have access to the web. As such not being able to research / read a book is a mute point. If you can afford a laptop or net access (Noting the OP made the post at 6pm in the evening and most public libraries close at 5pm) then you can (most likely) afford a levy because I doubt you own a laptop if your on the breadline or living out of your car.

Again, I'd make the distinction of won't pay versus can't pay. €100 is €3.35 per day for a month. If you can't save €3.35 per day per month then your in serious trouble and college is the least of your worries. Same applies if you cannot afford to eat. Its time to get your priorities straight at that stage.

Pretty much this entire post, particularly the bit in bold is assumption. You're assuming you know things about the OP's situation, you even admitted that assumption by the addition of the phrase "most likely".

How do you know it's won't pay as opposed to can't? It looked more like a situation of can't pay yet to me, as the OP has since paid their fees. But I will not assume that this was the case as I don't know all the details.

I'm incredulous at the condescension in that last line, it's that attitude of "why can't you do something because I can". Try to be more understanding because the above post did not even contain constructive criticism of the OP's dilemma, it was just unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ShyGuyUCD

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hey Shyguy ignore them they haven't a clue.

I dont think they're bad people just ignorant.

On a different note are you a science student? If so I could try and see if any books are lying around.

I'm not a science student (sometimes wish I was)

I got an email on Friday from UCD saying I had qualified for the student assistance fund so I reckon I'll have that next week and then I can go out and get all the books I need.

Thanks a million for the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

OP I'm in the same boat as you, last year I had serious trouble getting the levy paid off, luckily this year I had money at the start of the year, so I paid off everything before I could spend it as I knew I woulnd't get the chance again and it's not worth all the bother.

I've basically lived like a homeless man since, but at least I can get into the library.

They are reasonable enough, or at least last year they were, if you can pay a couple of quid off it they might make allowances. Tell them it's not a case of you refusing or being too lazy to pay, it's a case of inability to pay.

Other than that though, I would suggest finding somewhere else (free) to study, such as the Daedlous (sp?) building near the library, has study rooms, you can eat and drink without librocop hunting you down like a mother lion toying with a wounded and tiring wilderbeast, and people generally don't make noise.

Advertisement