Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2,900 cattle for the first live export vessel destined for Libya

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

this is all very strange - do you want me to say I am wrong and that it is fine to transport animals and causes no problems for them? I have an opinion - I don't have evidence Im not in court. But my opinion stands whether you like it or not. If one is a farmer of course they will not agree with me and I respect that others have their own opinions on what is right and wrong but somethings are fact. And captivity and transporation causes distress to animals/ any living thing. End of story (in my mind anyway).

So if you have a child you will not transport them in a car for fear of distress to them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

"Cows cant swim"
    Hilarious, you lost all credibility there anything you said before or after cannot be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How can you go around saying that these animals will suffer and that it is a welfare issue when you haven't the first idea about the conditions that these animals will travel in?? Not a clue

FYI these animals will have a continous uninterupted supply of hay and water as you'd expect and will be fed additional ration so that they do not loose condition on the voyage. They will be bedded with straw on a regular basis and will be in groups no bigger than 10 i think it is. They will also have a fully qualified VET on board the ship for the entire journey

Now if you think thats cruelty then people are right to call you a nutter etc

You really do make it sound as though the animals chose to go on a luxury cruise. Why not go all the way, tell us about the hourly massage they get, or the butler who serves them their hay?

You've accused others on here of making assumptions about the suffering of the animals on this journey. Can you please show us evidence to the contrary? I do hope so, because that will put my nutters mind at ease. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SomeGirl123

I dont see why i should know about cows swimming - it doesnt really mean i lose all credibility..thats a little ignorant. But it seems I am up against the tide here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Don't know who the Alliance for Animal Rights are , but their opinion is not all based on assumptions .

Historically there has been times where the animals arrived at their destination in a poor state , mainly due to delays on the high seas due to inclement weather conditions .
    Delays meant that the ship ran out of supplies like hay/straw etc .

I would prefer hear the official opinion from the ISPCA too.

And in this case , hopefully we will get a report on how successful the voyage was for all concerned .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I dont see why i should know about cows swimming - it doesnt really mean i lose all credibility..thats a little ignorant. But it seems I am up against the tide here.
    Did you ever watch a cowboy movie?
    That was your Sean Gallagher moment!
    Recorded media including boards has the full exact record of what you say, so passion alone for a subject is a dangerous thing here.you must be and be seen to be correct and knowledgeable of your cause both the + and the - and have a ready answer to potential questions.
    I don't mean to patronise or agree with the above but it is the reality and to ignore it is hazardous in the extreme.
    Apologies if I was harsh in my first post .

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I would prefer hear the official opinion from the ISPCA too.

They have nothing to do with farming, the department of agriculture is the relevant authority.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

are you speakng as a moderator for the site in asking me for 'evidence / backup' for my 'claims' or is this just your personal post?

nope, just speaking as a normal user :)

Just thought it was reasonable to backup a claim, I get it that you don't eat meat and thats fine I know plenty of people who don't eat meat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

whats all the fuss ? if they were'nt going out live for breeding they would be going out skinned and gutted in a frozen container after being bred here , the cows will get to their destination one way or another......

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

Wow this trend really took off there :D I don't see the problem with it, the standards being applied are very high and meet EU standards. What I find odd is that animal rights people seem to be against live transportation but ok for killing them here and shipping them over.

Beside if we all stopped eating meat tomorrow then we'd have no need for cattle, sheep or pigs and the land will be needed for veg so a mass slaughter would be needed to make way, with the meat been dumped rather than eaten. (sorry this is off topic but just a thought that entered my mind there :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement