Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S22 Under 20s!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

hi cant go on there, the restricted part anyway. iv 160 atm so ill be scouting 5 backs at 40 stars and then 20 on the last one. have full lvl3 ya the dannys
    ill only be training one only selling the rest can you pass that on crisco? or someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I'll be looking to train a player, got rid of my entire academy as I can't be bothered promoting Canadians. I'll be on the look out for a backrow player so if anyone has the stars and is looking to sell then I'm interested in buying Irish.

ill put stars on a backrow player wex have only 3 guys i want to promote out of my backs anyway so need to spend stars on some prob make a nice fast no.7 or 8 after a season of back training in the ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

seanand wrote: »
    hi cant go on there, the restricted part anyway. iv 160 atm so ill be scouting 5 backs at 40 stars and then 20 on the last one. have full lvl3 ya the dannys
    ill only be training one only selling the rest can you pass that on crisco? or someone

Added those, you wouldn't consider 3 x 60s and 40? (just reduce your number of pulls basically!) Just increase your chances slightly. and the player pulled in wk 6 in your original plan will miss lots of training...

crisco10 wrote: »
    Added those, you wouldn't consider 3 x 60s and 40? (just reduce your number of pulls basically!) Just increase your chances slightly. and the player pulled in wk 6 in your original plan will miss lots of training...
    i can was looking through my ya squad and only have 3 backs i want to pull and i can pull a br aswell to be converted or even a fast 7 or 8 like i said to wex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Cheers Seanie, I'll defo take a backrow player as I recently purchased a centre so I'm grand in the backs.

i can was looking through my ya squad and only have 3 backs i want to pull and i can pull a br aswell to be converted or even a fast 7 or 8 like i said to wex

So thats 3 backs at 60 and a br at 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

When you pull a player, is the replacement based on the type of lad you just pulled or the position that player played in?

Fewcifur wrote: »
    When you pull a player, is the replacement based on the type of lad you just pulled or the position that player played in?
    every ya has 3 props 2 hookers 3 locks 4 br 3 halfbacks 3 centres and 4 back 3s(or thats what i and many others believe) so you may have 12 fellows that all look like brs if your ya doesnt have overly tall or fat guys. so if your dont a youth manager or kept track of what position a player is going by the pleyer he replaced its need impossible to tell.

@crisco yes

every ya has 3 props 2 hookers 3 locks 4 br 3 halfbacks 3 centres and 4 back 3s(or thats what i and many others believe) so you may have 12 fellows that all look like brs if your ya doesnt have overly tall or fat guys. so if your dont a youth manager or kept track of what position a player is going by the pleyer he replaced its need impossible to tell.

@crisco yes

Hmmm, I've been getting jerked about for years so. Think this is the first time my YA is actually rolling with a pack where everybody is over 102kg.

I'll do a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and pull one magical player and hope he's a god. A golden ticket as it were.

• Advertisement

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've been getting jerked about for years so. Think this is the first time my YA is actually rolling with a pack where everybody is over 102kg.

I'll do a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and pull one magical player and hope he's a god. A golden ticket as it were.

UP to you, but statistics are against you. If you have 200 stars say, you would be much better splitting them 120, 40, 40 or similar. That way, you still have a "silver" ticket (120 star) shall we say but also 2 (40 star) "lotto plus" type pulls. The chances of getting a 35k CSR plus player are better with 120, 40, 40 than 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I'll have 155 stars, and I will probably spread them around alittle.

Although Reaper RFC wont be in Ireland next season so you guys really don't care :(

UP to you, but statistics are against you. If you have 200 stars say, you would be much better splitting them 120, 40, 40 or similar. That way, you still have a "silver" ticket (120 star) shall we say but also 2 (40 star) "lotto plus" type pulls. The chances of getting a 35k CSR plus player are better with 120, 40, 40 than 200.

Oh yeah, I'd be splitting my stars if I had them, but I've just made a decent pull last week, so by the time round 2 comes along I'll have enough stars for one, maybe two pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

satory wrote: »
    I'll have 155 stars, and I will probably spread them around alittle.

Although Reaper RFC wont be in Ireland next season so you guys really don't care :(

Did I miss something?

Do you not have to be in Ireland to train the U20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Zagato wrote: »
    Did I miss something?

Do you not have to be in Ireland to train the U20s?

Im not currently training any Irish U20s, I got a Spanish and a Russian trainee...

For the manager role, theres no rule that says you need to reside in the same country you manage...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

posted on the offsite ill have 112 stars and level 3 YA to scout a lad or 2, but was never put on the spreadsheet.. maybe mentioning it here will get it up there! :pac:

TheJims wrote: »
    posted on the offsite ill have 112 stars and level 3 YA to scout a lad or 2, but was never put on the spreadsheet.. maybe mentioning it here will get it up there! :pac:

You can put it on yourself you know. Lol ill do it 2m if ya haven't done it by then..

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

ha! was unawares i could edit that document lol its done now ;)

im going for 2 pulls, and dont have any preferences for any position at all, so i just put 62 on forward, and 50 on a back.

if theres gaps closer to pull time i can focus on certain positions if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've been told this before, but just to double check to get my facts straight:

Does the level of your scout matter when scouting a player into your youth academy, or is it solely placed on stars. i.e. if I were to have 200 stars, I would get the exact same results scouting players with those regardless of the level of my youth scout?

Also, when scouting a player and pulling him as soon as he turns 17, how important is it to have a youth academy for the year he's "in the academy".

Is it a waist of time investing stars if you don't have a YA (and a very good one at that) to pull them at 17 and then give them 10 sessions a week...

only the stars matter when scouting players and even with that its luck on how good a player you get.

the only thing in the ya that isnt luck based is training, i personally will never scout a player again without having lvl3s

• Advertisement

So even if I have a load of stars, I should keep them until I have top level scouting infrastructure before using them, even if I'm going to pull them at 17?

Sounds about right, just puts my youth development dream back a good few seasons! :D Was hoping I could get away with just stars and then intensive training once promoted, but from what you say, I take it it would be a waste of stars unless they go into a topclass academy?

i wouldnt and ill show you a few examples of lvl3 vs lvl2:
    lvl3 ya
    lvl3 ya
    lvl2
    lvl2
    best lvl2 pull i ever had

the lvl2 guys were my main club i have scraped my ya there apart from scout and wont be scout anyone till i can afford a lvl3 ya

Interesting.

It seems a bit hit and miss. 17 year old with about 30 - 40k say, and that's using maybe 50+ stars?

Then you have a level 3 YA and level 3 coach, takes a couple of seasons between stars accumulated and waiting for player to promote.

On the transfer market right now, I can see a 17 year old player with 47k CSR going for $45,000 with about 10 minutes of bidding left and he's just promoted this week from YA. His attributes are well spread out, 12's and 10's, jumping, agility and kicking are very poor, but he's 113k forward. (a bit light, granted)

I don't know, it seems like such an effort, so time consuming and so expensive...is it worth it?

I know there's the element of control in what you train and having first dibs on youth players, that's factored in to the cost you invest, but I wonder is it just cheaper to take your chances on the market?

I'm still going to try and do a pull for U20s in a couple of seasons and try and train one up, just because I'd like to get a 100k+ young player to have around for 10 seasons, and for the craic also, but wondering if it is a wise investment all the same, would I be better off letting someone else do all the work and bare the cost and I just nip in at the end and train him up for a 50k or so investment...

i wouldnt and ill show you a few examples of lvl3 vs lvl2:
    lvl3 ya
    lvl3 ya
    lvl2
    lvl2
    best lvl2 pull i ever had

the lvl2 guys were my main club i have scraped my ya there apart from scout and wont be scout anyone till i can afford a lvl3 ya

Interesting, although the L3 YA were combined 90 stars between them vs 50 for the 2 L2 pulls, significant enough difference. In fact, your #stars to 1k CSR ratio was about the same for both...L3 was 90 stars for 64.5k CSR, L2 was 50 stars for 35.8k CSR. So a ratio of ~0.72 for both.

OF course, that analysis assumes that CSR increases linearly with number of stars spent, something we all know not to be true!

I think if I were starting again with this youth setup (OT: anyone remember the 10 star YA of old??) I would get a L2 or L3 scout ASAP and start hoarding the stars.
    Then when the development plan allowed, build the L3 YA and start spending my stars in an U20 season, a few 70 stars in the early weeks of an U20 season then 3 or 4 ~40 stars mid season. I'd then probably not scout players in a non-U20 season and save the stars again. That would basically amount to spending 320 stars on 7 players every second year. (Plus whatever stars you would haves saved before getting L3 YA)

And of course, an equally valid tactic is to do none of the above and use the money on the TM. But where is the fun in that? I got a great thrill in taking this guy from a 16 year old to an U20 world cup winner.
    It also means you will be training foreigners mostly (unless your lucky), who will only ever play max 1 season of U20 for Ireland.

i enjoy the ya fully and wont get rid of it and will be getting it for my main team as soon as i can afford them again. you could just buy trainees but the best u20s are usually sold high. plus apart from training u20s i wont be promoting the majority till there 19 so im hoping to promote a few 60k beasts and fill my team up.

people say you need to sell each one for 160k to break even but then you must take into account on buying youths. also guys that are elligible for u20s and good will sell for a bomb if there good

Just a reminder, Scouting starts today!!!

update on who im pulling 3 halfbacks and will be training kicking in ya so fingers crossed ill get a decent kicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Thanks I had forgotten!

I will pull someone tonight and see what comes into the YA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

First pull at 108 stars is 206cm, 116 kg player. Hoping for something special in his skills when promoted

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote: »
    First pull at 108 stars is 206cm, 116 kg player. Hoping for something special in his skills when promoted

Nice! Hopefully he gets a few stars In Saturdays game in the 2ndrow. Also remember to setup your youth training!

Advertisement