Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I can't believe it's not Rag Week"

Options
  • 18-02-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So with the unofficial start of Rag week, on a walk through the city center it seemed like every asshole this side of the shannon was in Galway last night causing fights and generally being a drunken mess.

I mean normally it's just me. Well put out by this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Are you sure that wasn't the last of the Novena crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It seemed very quiet around town today :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Seen a load of groups with beer crates leaving centra and one or 2 house parties on the way home from college earlier. Nothing too crazy so far....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If the city isn't a burnt out shell by next Monday then I reckon that the rag week will have been a relatively "quiet" one.:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Definitely a lot quieter than years gone by so far. Even the Hole in the Wall seemed reasonably civilized this afternoon when I passed it.

• Advertisement

Definitely a lot quieter than years gone by so far. Even the Hole in the Wall seemed reasonably civilized this afternoon when I passed it.

If you can say the same thing this time tomorrow, it'll be some sort of miracle! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ciano1 wrote: »
    If you can say the same thing this time tomorrow, it'll be some sort of miracle! :p

Usually there is mayhem there by Monday afternoon but there were only a small handful of hardy souls drinking there when I went past it earlier. That was mid-afternoon though. I'd say it's picked up a bit since.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Tomorrow is apparently 'Donegal Day'

AKA "wreck the city you're not from" day.

I think it's known to be one of the worst (drunken) of the 'rag' days, if last year is anything to go by....

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

About 3 or 4 house parties in progress in Newcastle at the moment. Haven't had my bin knocked over yet but have endured some singing and screaming. Quite a few Donegal flags hanging out of windows, so wheeling in my bin early tomorrow. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

This will be my first year sitting it out. Just can't be bothered with the queues and packed clubs any more. The best craic was always drinking at home during the day but it's hard to get away with much these days without complaints from neighbours and/or Gardai. It's a shame really, Corrib Village is probably the only place in Galway you should be able to do it but even they try their hardest to put a stop to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

All the established nightclubs seemed to have taken heed of the warnings so far (one of them even moved their barriers in from the road a bit) and closed the doors once they were full.
    The only place I saw getting a bit of attention from AGS was the place which wasn't around for the previous RuinAllGalwayStudents.
    However this led to them heading down through town at midnight to try and find somewhere else to get in to but they were all pretty civilised for a change so far.
    Not been out at closing time so don't know what's happened since but was satisfied enough with what I saw earlier (except for the smashing bottles bit) WHY? Just WHY?? is that supposed to be cool???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

eyre sqquare was the same as last year minus the flairs, went up with my camera. got some great shots and video that I can hopefully sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Already a video or two floating around from last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Oh to be young and carefree !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of inner city street noise overnight.

And Donegal shirts spotted in Eyre Square at 9am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunnnnnnnygaaaaaaaaaawll

Spotted a taxi full of Donegal shirts heading off at about 9.40am

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

According to my "sources" on Facebook there was a 53 seater bus full of Donegal people with flags and banners outside Dunnes at 10am. I honestly don't get this, put on a Donegal shirt and wreck the city your not from or have any affiliation with, cause at the end of the day students from NUIG and GMIT are gonna get the blame. Not saying that Galway students are saints here but bussing people down from other counties for a day on the tear to trash the city should not be tolerated by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

The place didn't look too bad early this morning on the walk into work. Few broken bottles along the way but nothing major. Dun na Coiribe was even quiet enough last night, usually Monday is mayhem.

Today may be a different story but we've all been there. I say let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I cycled past The Hole in the Wall pub at around 10am and there were a couple of hundred people queuing, waiting to get in. About 99.9% of them were wearing Donegal jerseys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

photos going around facebook of the que outside the Hole in the Wall. Mulhollands should be giving odds on how long it takes to be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭squonk

What a bunch of feckin eejits. It's great they have so little to be doing for the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

paconnors wrote: »
    Very orderly polite queue..pedestrians forced onto the road and there is the ubiquitous metal barrier

What's the deal with the Hole In The Wall anyway? (Not having been a student here). Do they get cheap drink in there or something? I'd be off somewhere else tbh rather than queuing to get into a pub that was guaranteed to be mobbed out when I eventually got in. Not my idea of a fun time.

squonk wrote: »
    What's the deal with the Hole In The Wall anyway? (Not having been a student here). Do they get cheap drink in there or something? I'd be off somewhere else tbh rather than queuing to get into a pub that was guaranteed to be mobbed out when I eventually got in. Not my idea of a fun time.

For some reason it's always been the 'home' of Donegal Tuesday.
    And yes, cheap booze! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

squonk wrote: »
    What's the deal with the Hole In The Wall anyway? (Not having been a student here). Do they get cheap drink in there or something? I'd be off somewhere else tbh rather than queuing to get into a pub that was guaranteed to be mobbed out when I eventually got in. Not my idea of a fun time.[/QUOTE]
    But then you arent 18.

That is true Ben :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Town looking lively enough last night...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Me and a few friends were staggering through Eyre Square at about 3am last night and there was a huge crowd of people outside supermacs singing and shouting. No flares though. I'm still goosed tbh heading in to college bar now.

Advertisement