Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I can't believe it's not Rag Week"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

The vast majority of people that take part in Rag Week, do so for the craic. I have no problem with them in the Hole in the Wall or drinking all day so long as they don't act the cnut. But there's always a few that do, act everyone gets slated because of their behaviour.

Like a few of these lads for example...I just hope the bouncers taught him a right lesson when they brought him outside...https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4133504947280

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Zzippy wrote: »
    Schedule labs/tests/assignment deadlines throughout the week? ;)

Maybe that is why the students don't have RAG week when exams are on but during a week when it suits them best. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Cygnus wrote: »
    The vast majority of people that take part in Rag Week, do so for the craic. I have no problem with them in the Hole in the Wall or drinking all day so long as they don't act the cnut. But there's always a few that do, act everyone gets slated because of their behaviour.

Like a few of these lads for example...I just hope the bouncers taught him a right lesson when they brought him outside...https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4133504947280
    Jaysus, they made awful hard work out of that one little fella. Just as well there weren't two of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Jaysus...my idea of hell. To be fair, i pity the bouncers and staff. No one should have to deal with that kind of behaviour...students or not.

squonk wrote: »
    If they have time to take days off to go on the piss then they're obviously not getting enough work to do as part of their course. It's either that or they don't really give a fiddlers about their course so why they should be funded by the taxpayer is also questionable. Perhaps we should start campaigning to reduce course work for those poor souls who couldn't quite manage to go on the lash for all 5 days?

Why have people got such a problem with students enjoying themselves once they are not causing trouble. From what I see people just dont want them having a week with a bit of extra fun in it regardless of if they cause trouble or not.

If you work hard the rest of the year its not that difficult to make up for what is missed rag week and for the most part students don't take a full week off, not in the science subjects anyway as you have to attend labs.

I would have missed most if not all my lecture rag week but always did my two or three afternoons of labs regardless of my condition (be it hungover or having had a few to drink early in the day)
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Schedule labs/tests/assignment deadlines throughout the week? ;)

Again for the vast majority of people that behave themselves why do people have such a desire to stop students enjoying rag week, isnt life long enough that 4 weeks out of 4 years of college can be left reasonably open so studends can enjoy themselves.

Its usually the same people complaining about race week, which is the best week of the year in Galway but at least there is no way to stop race week as people are rightly free to take their holidays and go on the p*ss for the week if they chose to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Why have people got such a problem with students enjoying themselves once they are not causing trouble. From what I see people just dont want them having a week with a bit of extra fun in it regardless of if they cause trouble or not.

If you work hard the rest of the year its not that difficult to make up for what is missed rag week and for the most part students don't take a full week off, not in the science subjects anyway as you have to attend labs.

I would have missed most if not all my lecture rag week but always did my two or three afternoons of labs regardless of my condition (be it hungover or having had a few to drink early in the day)

Again for the vast majority of people that behave themselves why do people have such a desire to stop students enjoying rag week, isnt life long enough that 4 weeks out of 4 years of college can be left reasonably open so studends can enjoy themselves.

Its usually the same people complaining about race week, which is the best week of the year in Galway but at least there is no way to stop race week as people are rightly free to take their holidays and go on the p*ss for the week if they chose to.

TO be fair, (in my day - 1990's), a few hundred students acting like they were on any of the two videos posted on this thread, would
    1) not have happened and
    2) would not have been acceptable to most students or anyone else really.

I don't think anyone is denying students a bit of craic but there's craic and then there is just acting the gob****e...and that goes for anyone ..students, race people or anyone else.

Whoomp there it is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

L5 wrote: »
    Please stop posting this crap. The first time it was mildly humorous. Now it's just irritating.

Backseat Modding klaxon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was just answering a question - "what could the college do to stop it"? Didn't say that's what they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Race week is the best week of the year in Galway? Seems like your criteria for a good week is solely based on the number of people drinking on the street and 'having the craic'.

The vast majority of students are grand and behave themselves, but that still leaves a large number of twats, usually guys, that think that rag week is a licence to act the prick. Donegal day. FFS. It's beyond retarded. That your average student would defend this is a sign that their heads are up their holes. Rag week in Galway has long involved drinking and partying for days on end, and it didn't put in on non-students until recently. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

What an absolute twat!! I pity the bouncers having to deal with stupidity at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

Understand this is probably just a portion of the actual event and I can only imagine the ****e the bouncers had to put up with on the night in question

Also, Not excusing the lad, who looks like he tried to "intervene", he was too aggressive

But I think the bouncer was WAY too agressive here, even when talking to the first guy at the start of the clip.

He needed to be taken out of the situation by one of his colleagues before this happened, easier said then done I know.

But his reaction and demeanor doesn't sit right with me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Looking at a video like that ... and seeing the queues outside the Hole in the Wall yesterday ... makes me think Irish people are idiots.

In Greece and Spain, students are protesting against cut-backs and their lack of hope for jobs, due to austerity and unemployment.

In Galway, they celebrate some drunken fool trying to climb a pole outside Supermac's at 3 o'clock in the morning.

.... And they think it's great gas to start drinking at 11am before falling around in front of motorists making their way home from work. 'Donegal Tuesday' ... what idiot thought that one up? It just involves putting in a GAA jersey and drinking all day. Wow.

Meanwhile, some of the 'adults' among us are thinking of voting for FF, the party who bankrupt our country again, according to the polls.

The only ones laughing are the owners of the pubs, offies, and clubs. Oh, and Supermac's. But god help the staff who actually had to serve those drunken fools ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Strict enforcement of a College only rag week with sponsored clubs in town and on campus that only let people in with Student ID's or ya get signed in with a friends Student ID. Ya act the bollix or your friend acts the bollix you are required to appear in front of the college disciplinary board the following week.

Why would clubs be bothered with this? They want as many through the door and buying drinks as possible. Look at Bentley and their pushing of "Donegal Tuesday" yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Sure don't some people rely on the money that they make in the week formerly known as RAG week, to feed/clothe/educate their own kids?

Savage-Eye.jpg

We all know who he blames....

Gambas wrote: »
    Race week is the best week of the year in Galway? Seems like your criteria for a good week is solely based on the number of people drinking on the street and 'having the craic'.

Race week is my favourite week of the year, and the besy week of the year in Galway for many reason. Racing, drinking, atmosphere and just general craic.

I have gone racing the 7 days for many years and usually out every night from Wednesday to Sunday, even when I lived outside Ireland for one year I came back for race week, I take it off every year.

I have brought many people to Galway for race week from different places and they absolutely love it, in particular my Italian friends who will be coming this year for the 4th year in a row, they love every bit of it from the craic at the course to the massive crowds drinking and having the craic on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Students have more than 4 weeks off during just one of their college years already???

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Love galway. Heading down tomorrow for the night. Please tell me this sh*te has died down... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

William72 wrote: »
    Love galway. Heading down tomorrow for the night. Please tell me this sh*te has died down... :(
    It never really started this year so dont worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The town hasn't been bad in any capacity this year. Youre complaining about the potential this week has to be bad, rather than how the week has actually been itself. There was an orderly queue for Donegal Tuesday in the Hole in the Wall and any bad that happened there happened IN the pub itself, if you werent there it didnt affect you. So was only disrupting to the staff who host the event and know full well themselves the potential repercussions. No more people caused bother in S'macs and Eyre square than usual, there was a big crowd but is that against the law? (today I saw a 30+ <snip> cause bother at like 7pm nothing to do with Rag week).

The clubs have been grand. I've been in Club k normal weeks and it's usually galweigan <snip> causing bother there, as was the case this week. (my mate was in carbon and there was zero bother) This Abuse of the Donegal crowd coming down is stupid and largely unfounded. The occupy crowd did worse to eyre square and were largely Galweigan. It's nothing to do with people from other parts of the country coming down. There are as many different counties down here as there are usually. There is nothing wrong with this week. Its been bad in the past, granted. Not this week. Just you all keep sitting on Boards 24/7 complaining about any craic people attempt to have (disregarding race week because adults partake in that piss-up) and complain if people dont have boards on 40post mode, or if people eat mc donalds ,going outside in your pyjamas or playing consoles rather than PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I was walking through the NUIG concourse today and 5 or 6 girls (one wearing a Donegal top) were walking down it screaming at the top of their voices making total tools of themselves.

But it didn't really affect my life one bit so I just got on with things and carried on being great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Was passing over the Quincentennial Bridge at around 17:15 on foot and halfway walked past a student in only his underwear preparing to jump into the Corrib. There was a huge crowd of students cheering him on on the river bank below. Quite a spectacular jump. Quite a few students with cameras filming it, so may surface soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Amik wrote: »
    Was passing over the Quincentennial Bridge at around 17:15 on foot and halfway walked past a student in only his underwear preparing to jump into the Corrib. There was a huge crowd of students cheering him on on the river bank below. Quite a spectacular jump. Quite a few students with cameras filming it, so may surface soon.
    The video or the student?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Hopefully he will be emigrating soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I love how to some people RAG Week has become an entitlement. It say's it all about Galway. Sure we all did it, let them be, sure aren't they all entitled to have a bit of fun while they are in college....what a BS pampered attitude.

Whether it's RAG week, race week, The Arts Festival, The Oyster Festival etc. Nobody is entitled to act like an @sshole and not deal with the reprecussions.

The simple way to curve the problem is to actually enforce the laws that are already in place. Also, when you are arresting these people, if they are currently attending any college or on the dole. That should be looked at. Inform their college, their college should have a student code of conduct which can expell students that fail to represent the college in a positive light. If they are on jobseekers allowance or whatever, how can they be looking for a job when they are over in Galway getting sh!t faced.

All fair and all currently within the remit of the law.

+1

Timmyctc wrote: »
    The town hasn't been bad in any capacity this year. Youre complaining about the potential this week has to be bad, rather than how the week has actually been itself. There was an orderly queue for Donegal Tuesday in the Hole in the Wall and any bad that happened there happened IN the pub itself, if you werent there it didnt affect you. So was only disrupting to the staff who host the event and know full well themselves the potential repercussions. No more people caused bother in S'macs and Eyre square than usual, there was a big crowd but is that against the law? (today I saw a 30+ Knacker cause bother at like 7pm nothing to do with Rag week).

The clubs have been grand. I've been in Club k normal weeks and it's usually galweigan knacks causing bother there, as was the case this week. (my mate was in carbon and there was zero bother) This Abuse of the Donegal crowd coming down is stupid and largely unfounded. The occupy crowd did worse to eyre square and were largely Galweigan. It's nothing to do with people from other parts of the country coming down. There are as many different counties down here as there are usually. There is nothing wrong with this week. Its been bad in the past, granted. Not this week. Just you all keep sitting on Boards 24/7 complaining about any craic people attempt to have (disregarding race week because adults partake in that piss-up) and complain if people dont have boards on 40post mode, or if people eat mc donalds ,going outside in your pyjamas or playing consoles rather than PC.

Pretty sure you'll get a mod on you about using the K word. I don't think anybody has any issue with people having the craic though...I think you are using that term to undermine peoples concerns. I'm not in Galway for it this year (Thankfully) My questions would be: Was there the usual 40+ arrested on the Monday alone? How busy was A&E? Was there much disturbances caused to the people living in the likes of Lurgan, Hazel Park, Cherry Park, Moyolla Park, Sean Mulvoy Rd, WellPark, Renmore etc.? Did the Gardai have to bring in extra resources? Was there any damage to business premises or cars? etc.

I don't think people here even care about the kind of crap that goes on down Shop Street or outside Supermacs. It's fairly embarrassing as an Irishman to think that's what one of our main landmarks becomes at that small hour but at least it's not impacting on the working people of Galway. It's a disgrace on a quiet weekend too. Not because people are having the craic either, it's because people are abusing alcohol and acting like @ssholes, if that has become the definition of craic, I'm happy I don't live there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you'll get a mod on you about using the K word. I don't think anybody has any issue with people having the craic though...I think you are using that term to undermine peoples concerns. I'm not in Galway for it this year (Thankfully) My questions would be: Was there the usual 40+ arrested on the Monday alone? How busy was A&E? Was there much disturbances caused to the people living in the likes of Lurgan, Hazel Park, Cherry Park, Moyolla Park, Sean Mulvoy Rd, WellPark, Renmore etc.? Did the Gardai have to bring in extra resources? Was there any damage to business premises or cars? etc.

I don't think people here even care about the kind of crap that goes on down Shop Street or outside Supermacs. It's fairly embarrassing as an Irishman to think that's what one of our main landmarks becomes at that small hour but at least it's not impacting on the working people of Galway. It's a disgrace on a quiet weekend too. Not because people are having the craic either, it's because people are abusing alcohol and acting like @ssholes, if that has become the definition of craic, I'm happy I don't live there anymore.
    No reports on any of the usual local media sources all week so im guessing no trouble or at least very little has occcured. Ive been up and down town all week in and out to work and havent noticed any increased Garda presence bar a couple of them on foot that you maybe wouldnt see every day. Maybe the threats of repurcussions from the 3rd level institution's authorities has had an effect.

No reports on any of the usual local media sources all week so im guessing no trouble or at least very little has occcured. Ive been up and down town all week in and out to work and havent noticed any increased Garda presence bar a couple of them on foot that you maybe wouldnt see every day. Maybe the threats of repurcussions from the 3rd level institution's authorities has had an effect.

Hopefully! The only report I saw was from The Journal..but I don't really trust them. They seemed to suggest there were some arrests on Monday. Also Galway News was stating that the Gardai presence was to be stepped up for it.

I'll have to ask my friend living in the city, how it's been. He lived in Woodquay for years, he moved a few months ago so hopefully he got some sleep this year!

There are always going to be more arrests, especially on the Sunday/Monday. Even if people behaved exactly the same as every other week there would be more arrests.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Time for another Good Idea Bad Idea.

Good Idea:Heading to College bar for a few pints on Tuesday afternoon cause its Rag week ya know! Meet a few mates and go to a nightclub, get chatting to someone of the opposite sex who seems interested in me and been able to convince said person to come back to my place!

Bad Idea: Getting S**tfaced on cheap vodka at 10am running around the centre of the city, puking up my Taco fries in Eyre square in front of people going about their daily business. Trying to help someone who has passed out on the street after consuming a litre of vodka, said person getting hysterical and starts throwing slaps. Heading back to my place at 4am in a drunken stooper and setting the neighbours bin on fire.
    Everything apart from setting the neighbour's bin on fire (which you'd have to be a scumbag to do drunk or not) seems grand in my book. Who cares if they want to get langers early doors and make a bit of an eejit of themselves? They are students. You're not allowed to drink when you're younger and you're definitely not allowed to get away with it when you're a real adult. It's just one week where students get particularly messy. So long as they aren't hurting anyone just deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

I hope he did surface soon...:-D

Advertisement