Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I can't believe it's not Rag Week"

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

there was no crackdown from the gardai at all,, thats utter bull (gaurds were very sound and let it be outside supermacs so long as no trouble was happening). I basically drank all day and went out every night. The only trouble I saw was on a video on the internet. Everything else was harmless. So what if people were wearing donegal jerseys on tuesday? Whats wrong with that?

One thing I hate is when people say 'the students voted to abolish rag week', because that is absolute bull. The members of the students union voted to get rid of it, not the students themselves. This is a seriously biased vote as people on the the students union all think a certain way and so it didnt represent the general student opinion. There should have been a proper students referendum on it.

(Absolutely savage week altogether by the way :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

tacofries wrote: »
    The members of the students union voted to get rid of it, not the students themselves.
    All of the students are members of the students' union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Remember, the students were pretty much held hostage by the college. Extra funds for the Students Assistance Fund, Keeping the health unit free and the 'one day event' on campus were all promised in return for scrapping rag week.

If it was a straight vote on whether or not to keep rag week it probably wouldn't have passed.

The event thingy on campus was pure ****e last year. I wonder what the story is this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

The vote was a bit of a joke alright. But the union was under pressure from the college and all concerned didnt want to be associated with something that had taken on a life of its own. It's a shame though. I've been around for RAG week in limerick, athlone and waterford and it's been great craic. Good events (well known bands, djs) around the place, everybody heading out and very little trouble. Certainly nothing out of hand anyways.

Instead we get pissed up first years and bus loads of scumbags wrecking the place, no events apart from "lets all wear donegal jerseys and wreck the place" and a widespread reputation of trouble that only adds to the problem. It's all a bit braindead sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

spiralism wrote: »
    The vote was a bit of a joke alright. But the union was under pressure from the college and all concerned didnt want to be associated with something that had taken on a life of its own. It's a shame though. I've been around for RAG week in limerick, athlone and waterford and it's been great craic. Good events (well known bands, djs) around the place, everybody heading out and very little trouble. Certainly nothing out of hand anyways.

Instead we get pissed up first years and bus loads of scumbags wrecking the place, no events apart from "lets all wear donegal jerseys and wreck the place" and a widespread reputation of trouble that only adds to the problem. It's all a bit braindead sadly.
    That term really needs to be done away with, can someone please explain what was wrecked this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That term really needs to be done away with, can someone please explain what was wrecked this week?

Student's livers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ficheall wrote: »
    All of the students are members of the students' union.
    True, but students were not canvassed for their opinion. In reality, the SU represents very few students.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    True, but students were not canvassed for their opinion. In reality, the SU represents very few students.
    It represents those who are aware of its existence and want to participate, the majority of 1st years i come across probably wouldnt know where the SU's are in their respective colleges.

It's a figure of speech...but cans, piss and sick everywhere (just because eyre square and the likes get cleaned every morning doesnt mean its not there) and countless houses out in the student villages trashed would probably qualify..
    WallyGUFC wrote: »

Correct. Now i know people argue it represents those who are aware and want to participate but in reality they are all cut from the same cloth and not representative of the majority of the student body. They're the types that spam you with irritating society emails or facebook notifications, spend lectures asking questions annoying everyone and are never seen outside of the college. Not much common touch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

spiralism wrote: »
    countless houses out in the student villages trashed would probably qualify..

There are countless houses wrecked outside of rag week too

• Advertisement

ciano1 wrote: »
    There are countless houses wrecked outside of rag week too

true but im speaking generally...it's happened to me thanks to roommates so i do realise that but it's something that often goes hand in hand with rag week

again though, like i said, it's an irritation. Pissed up first years and out of towners act the bollix and get on some nerves. Not exactly buying the hype that they literally are worse than pillaging vikings in the 10th century either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

jased10s wrote: »
    Think of how many tourists that witness this week and vow never to return again , and also tell their friends of how intimadated they felt so they wont bother coming to ireland.
    :pac::pac::pac: I can only imagine the shock when they came to a small Irish city, home to two 'universities' and found lots of students drinking alcohol.

I had to explain the concept of Rag Week to some foreign ones in the Rosin the other day and they all thought it was great craic. Stop trying to play the tourism card because it's absolute bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

It's not a card it's a fact. Many other countrys somehow manage to also have rag week without the crap that goes on here.

Just search youtube for lovley examples of Galway rag week, pages and pages of typical im entitled attitude and actions by stupid students.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=galway+rag+week&oq=galway+rag+week&gs_l=youtube.3..0i3j0l7.2161.5403.0.6588.15.7.0.8.8.0.51.265.7.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.lCgiRhwJQ-4

It's a shame the ones who pulled down the street light were not electrocuted .

Why cant they just go out and get pissed and act like normal humans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

You could argue the attempts to tame RAG week by the SU and college have given the week a reputation and made the beast angrier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

jased10s wrote: »
    It's not a card it's a fact. Many other countrys somehow manage to also have rag week without the crap that goes on here?
    And yet Galway still has plenty more tourists than most other counties. So yes, it is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

HAHAHA , you crack me up.

Advertisement