Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

differences between calgary and toronto?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

I guess this is for anyone who has been to both.
    What kinds of stuff can you do on weekends off?
    It seems theres more work in calgary but whats there to do when you have time off apart from the rockies and drinking:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

zweton wrote: »
    I guess this is for anyone who has been to both.
    What kinds of stuff can you do on weekends off?
    It seems theres more work in calgary but whats there to do when you have time off apart from the rockies and drinking:D

If thats not enough your a hard man to please ;)

Theres plenty to do, the Olympic Park, bobsledding, skating, hockey, cycle tracks, parks, Banff is only an hour away, GAA, Eggball the list will go on....

People seem to go to strip clubs alot

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Toronto's closer to Home ,
    But Calgarys closer to Vegas !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Toronto is a short hop to NYC so trips to the big apple are possible every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Toronto out of those two. Calgary is a very boring and dull city in the middle of nowhere. Nothing for miles north, east, west and south. It gets extremely cold and the city is empty after people head home from work. It seems like an ok place for a family to settle. But I think a lot of younger people that seem to be going there from this forum are going to get a bit of a shock. Vancouver and Toronto are the two cities that would be best to be close to. Just a lot more happening.

Toronto out of those two. Calgary is a very boring and dull city in the middle of nowhere. Nothing for miles north, east, west and south. It gets extremely cold and the city is empty after people head home from work. It seems like an ok place for a family to settle. But I think a lot of younger people that seem to be going there from this forum are going to get a bit of a shock. Vancouver and Toronto are the two cities that would be best to be close to. Just a lot more happening.

I didn't get a shock, what does somewhere like Dublin have that Calgary dosn't? Where would this shock come from? I know people tend to think its easier then it is over here but lets be realistic here.

Calgary isn't that cold, the weather at home cuts through you far worse then here, its manageable and only lasts a few days before the Chinook winds blow it away.

Granted Calgary is not New York or LA but its a great little city right next to the Rocky Mountains.

I don't know what people would expect when they are moving abroad to work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

its 4 am in the morning martyn should you not be asleep?:o

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    its 4 am in the morning martyn should you not be asleep?:o

Just in from work man, another reason I wouldn't recommend bar work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I haven't been to Calgary yet but "boring and dull" sounds exciting at this stage, still sounds more interesting than Ireland. LOL ;)

hahah and you came on for a bit of a creep and to defend Calgary my hat goes off to you:D

well bar work is better then no work beats having to go in to collect the pension today:o

WasterEx wrote: »
    I haven't been to Calgary yet but "boring and dull" sounds exciting at this stage, still sounds more interesting than Ireland. LOL ;)

going anywhere in the world has to be a steup from cork?;)
    Sadly i cant see it being better the offaly doh :rolleyes::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

going anywhere in the world has to be a steup from cork?;)
    Sadly i cant see it being better the offaly doh :rolleyes::cool:

Hahaha! Gonna have to agree with ya on that one about Cork ;) Pffft...what is this Offaly you speak of? :p

hahah and you came on for a bit of a creep and to defend Calgary my hat goes off to you:D

well bar work is better then no work beats having to go in to collect the pension today:o

No-one falls asleep the minute they walk through the door, I have a visa to keep tabs on remember ;)

Offaly is the ideal holiday location situated in the center of Ireland one hour from Dublin it is known world wide for its tullamore whiskey and its amazing nightlife and friendly people:o haha

Oh yea the visa still waiting myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    If thats not enough your a hard man to please ;)

Theres plenty to do, the Olympic Park, bobsledding, skating, hockey, cycle tracks, parks, Banff is only an hour away, GAA, Eggball the list will go on....

People seem to go to strip clubs alot

What in God's green and sparkly land is Eggball?!?!?!?!

Also what is there to do in Banff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Haven't been to Calgary but I will be travelling to both Calgary and VC in the next few weeks with work.

Toronto is pretty much like a less busy version of New York, the best description I could give you is somewhere between Boston and NY. I love both cities so obviously I love TO. It's impossible to list what TO has to do activity wise, quiet franky you can be as busy or as quiet as you want.

- There is always some form of big convention on in the city
    - Sport, well there is the NBA, NHL, MLS and a Baseball team, no NFL but Buffalo is just down the road. The GAA championship is pretty big here, not sure how many teams but I'd say easily the largest in Canada by a distance.
    - If you are into the theatre, Toronto is almost the off-off Broadway Capital. All the big shows come here and sometime they come here before Broadway as it's seen as the practice ground.
    - Cultural events, The Grand Toronto Area has a population of almost 6 million, there is always some event/festival celebrating some culture on somewhere. These can actually be really worthwhile going to
    - This has to be said;) If you are single then you are in for a big surprise... Imagine St.Stephens Green on a summers day.. but everywhere! It's unreal, possibly the biggest cultural shock I got:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Was in Toronto in 2002 for 6 mths and really liked it, hence the reason im going back, hopefully for long term this time. I agree there is alot to do but the countryside aspect of calgary sounds really nice too.
    Toronto nightlife rocks though:)

Advertisement