Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from eircom to Sky Broadband...

• 18-02-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm in Tramore in the Not-so-sunny South East and I currently have an 8mb package for broadband with eircom how ever when I'm downloading on my PC or gaming I only ever get 600kb/s download Max, it never goes over that... Despite speed tests saying I get 4 mb.

When I heard sky was rolling out I checked what speed I would get from them and it estimates 10 mb, so my query is, will i actually get an improvement in download/upload by switching or will I still probably only get what Im getting when actually downloading/uploading with eircom?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm in Tramore in the Not-so-sunny South East and I currently have an 8mb package for broadband with eircom how ever when I'm downloading on my PC or gaming I only ever get 600kb/s download Max, it never goes over that... Despite speed tests saying I get 4 mb.

When I heard sky was rolling out I checked what speed I would get from them and it estimates 10 mb, so my query is, will i actually get an improvement in download/upload by switching or will I still probably only get what Im getting when actually downloading/uploading with eircom?

Thanks in advance

Are you mixing up Mbit and kiloyte? 4Mbit connection will give you around 500 kByte download speed. Which sounds like what your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭IrelandOffline_

Thanks in advance

Seems rather unlikely as the Tramore exchange only does 8Mb/s max. Sky don't have a magic wand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Seems rather unlikely as the Tramore exchange only does 8Mb/s max. Sky don't have a magic wand...

It looks like the exchange hasn't been upgraded to ADSL2+.

Advertisement