Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New weed in grass spreading fast! Please help!

Options
  • 18-02-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I first noticed this weed a few weeks ago in my lawn and it is spreading fast.
    Any ideas what it is and how do I get rid of it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm pretty sure it is lesser celandine - my only doubt is because celadine has a rather shinier leaf than that, but I think that's what it is.

You have got a problem. Did you bring that soil in? That's how I got a garden infested with it, and its a major job to get rid of it. As I recall the roots are quite deep and have long white stems before they emerge as green leaves. I think you will have to do some weed killing and possibly digging, its pretty hard to get rid of. I dug it out but it was not in lawn so much as beds. I imagine you would need a systemic weedkiller to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

looksee wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is lesser celandine - my only doubt is because celadine has a rather shinier leaf than that, but I think that's what it is.

You have got a problem. Did you bring that soil in? That's how I got a garden infested with it, and its a major job to get rid of it. As I recall the roots are quite deep and have long white stems before they emerge as green leaves. I think you will have to do some weed killing and possibly digging, its pretty hard to get rid of. I dug it out but it was not in lawn so much as beds. I imagine you would need a systemic weedkiller to get rid of it.

Hi thanks for reply. I didn't bring the soil in so not sure where it came from....
    Whats a systemic weedkiller?

Systemic weedkiller is one that is absorbed by the leaves and then transported down to the roots of the plant from where it kills the entire plant, rather than just killing the leaves. When you put it on it doesn't appear to do anything for up to maybe 2 weeks, and the plants may actually look healthier, you have to be patient. You might also have to give a second go to kill stubborn plants.

I'm not very good on brands of weedkiller, I'm sure some of the others will have suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Weedkiller - Roundup or Gallup?

Gallup is allegedly cheaper so I'm going to try and source that this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

DO NOT USE GALLUP OR ROUNDUP OR ANYTHING THAT CONTAINS GLYPHOSATE!

Yes, it will indeed kill the weed, but it will also kill all of your grass!

Buy Verdone, should be available in at least Homebase, although most garden centres should have it, it is a SELECTIVE herbicide which means it will only kill weeds and not your grass.

Hope this helps.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

monkeynuz wrote: »
    DO NOT USE GALLUP OR ROUNDUP OR ANYTHING THAT CONTAINS GLYPHOSATE!

Yes, it will indeed kill the weed, but it will also kill all of your grass!

Buy Verdone, should be available in at least Homebase, although most garden centres should have it, it is a SELECTIVE herbicide which means it will only kill weeds and not your grass.

Hope this helps.

M.

Thanks Monkeynuz

Yes, it will kill the grass, you would have to start again with the grass. It is hard to tell from the pic how much there is. If it is scattered patches I would still go with the systemic but just do the patches. If it is widespread I doubt you will get rid of it using selective lawn weedkiller, the tubers are very difficult to kill.

Advertisement