Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet of the Train KK-Dublin

Options
  • 18-02-2013 9:09pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like I'm off commuting to Dublin a few days a week. I'd take the train and save the environment, if the internet and telephone signal were anyway decent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kikel wrote: »
    Well it looks like I'm off commuting to Dublin a few days a week. I'd take the train and save the environment, if the internet and telephone signal were anyway decent.

I used it once a month or so ago. Was fine heading to Dublin in the morning, could work. Way back it was atrocious for some reason, totally unusable. Wouldn't connect to VPN let alone just bare internet. So maybe it varies between trains so I wouldn't trust it 100% (this is Irish Rail after all). Great when it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Use the dub-wat train several times a week. They are all wi fi enabled and I find it ok for general browsing and the like. They ve blocked the likes of youtube and spotify .

If your using you owm phone signal there are a few black spots along the route I ve noticed

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Thanks All,

My estimated costs for both diesels and train+Luas are very similar. Time wise for where I will be going the train is working out 10 minutes longer.

I'll be travelling to Dublin up to 3 times a week. How do people buy there tickets. Online and in advance. Any special prices for my situation.

Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Im lucky that I have a golden ticket lol but check out http://www.irishrail.ie/faresandtickets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If it's through work you can benefit from tax savings. There's a website called travelhub that can organise this if your employers are a little unhelpful in setting it up. They'll do the donkey work if your employers won't set up an account with Iarnrod Eireann.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Was on the train last September and the wifi was great, try get a seat with a socket so you can keep your device fully charged as 2 and a half hours free wifi will have a big drain on your battery ;)

Phone signal (02) is poor a lot of the journey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Owryan wrote: »
    Im lucky that I have a golden ticket lol but check out http://www.irishrail.ie/faresandtickets

How can I get a golden ticket or one of the season passes? How do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Must be a monthly ticket for commuters surely. Also check out taxsaver.ie for tax breaks on rail tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Efforts are being made to improve realibality but from using the whole network the wifi is best on the Waterford line by a mile. There is a few train sets that are being repaired at the minute but its not many.
    I used it once a month or so ago. Was fine heading to Dublin in the morning, could work. Way back it was atrocious for some reason, totally unusable. Wouldn't connect to VPN let alone just bare internet. So maybe it varies between trains so I wouldn't trust it 100% (this is Irish Rail after all). Great when it works!

If it doesn't connect then its a problem with the set which are being fixed. It will wok much better in the mornings as demand will be less compared to a train leaving Dublin in the afternoon.

Changes are coming including the log in/regester sytem, both will be stopped soon to make it easier.
    Thanks All,

My estimated costs for both diesels and train+Luas are very similar. Time wise for where I will be going the train is working out 10 minutes longer.

I'll be travelling to Dublin up to 3 times a week. How do people buy there tickets. Online and in advance. Any special prices for my situation.

Kieran

By the way might be an idea to set up/ or follow Irish Rail on twitter, from time to time they offer a discount code for online bookings, tends to be 25% most of the time or a past example was 31% for Halloween, 25% for Christmas day etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

It is heartbreaking as is anything to do with Iarnrod Eireann. Best bet is your smartphone internet and tether if possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement